Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: About nikon fish eye Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Wide-Eyes on March-25-2006 at 2:12pm
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi

there is something I don't understand. As far as I can read from previous thread that when using the nikkor 10,5mm you have to take 6shots + tb to make a panorama. But when I read about it Nikon claims that it have an angle of 180degree. Is it then because none of the Nikon DSLR cameras is full frame cameras??

I have also read about a lense 16mm f/2.8D AF Fisheye-Nikkor where they claim that it can capture full frame 180 degree pictures with any D-type Nikon camera. Does any of you know it this lense can match the nikkor 10,5mm in quality?

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen
- a newbie trying to improve

Message posted by rob360 on March-25-2006 at 4:53pm
View rob360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by rob360 Search   Quote rob360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
rob360
Standard Member
Standard Member

March-25-2006
4 Posts
The Nikkor 10.5mm has an advertised diagonal FOV of ~180 degrees (actually it's less) on the 1.5x crop factor Nikon cameras.

You cant compare it to the Sigma 8mm, and you need at least 5+2 or 6+2 shots, cause the horizontal FOV is around 139 degrees and the vertical is 87 degrees (according to this panoramic photography lens database ).

The 16mm fisheye probably covers 180 degrees diagonally on a film or fullframe sensor camera.

Message posted by smooth on March-26-2006 at 1:29am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Yes, the difference is that it shoots a full frame image not a circular image. Much the same as the Fisheye 2 mode on a Nikon Coolpix vs Fisheye 1 mode.

If you were to fit the 10.5mm to a full frame sensor camera (Canon 5D, Canon 1Ds etc) and trim the lens hood you can get away with 3 shot panoramas.

Regards, Smooth 

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on March-27-2006 at 9:06am
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi Smooth

About your last comment about using the 10.5mm with the canon 5d. I know it is possible with an adaptor, but does the result get any good?? Do you have any experience with it?

Best regards

Morten

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by smooth on March-27-2006 at 10:53am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hi Morten,

Sorry mate, I do not have any personal experience with this set up (as yet).

(Eric) www.fromparis.com has been playing with this set up. The results are impressive. The major problem is that you have no on camera control over the aperture.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on March-27-2006 at 2:14pm
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi Smooth

Yes I must agree. The results are very impressive. Especially the scenes where there is a lot of people.

Hans Nyberg who have www.panoramas.dk made a couple of panos from the royal Danish Wedding. Also with a lot of people. Must take a lot of photoshop to make it look good. find them at http://www.dr.dk/tillykke/151.htm 

One more question. Why is it so big a problem that you don't have camera control of the aperture?? Does it mean that you have to set it manually by using the lense?? Is this really a problem?? And if so why?? If you decide to always use a aperture of f8.0 then you don't have to adjust it all the time.

Sorry if the answer is obvious but I don't know much about photography.

I really like the ide of using the 5d with nikon 10,5mm As far as I know it would be combining the best camera with the best lense?

Best regards

Morten Andersen

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by simon on March-27-2006 at 2:49pm
View simon's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by simon Search   Visit simon's Homepage www   Quote simon Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
simon
Gold Member
Gold Member

January-14-2003
141 Posts

The Nikon 10.5 lens like all Nikon DX lenses has no aperture ring. The aperture is controlled by the camera body. On a non-Nikon body this can't be done so the aperture remains at f22 at all times. However, you can alter the aperture on the lens (by jamming the aperture lever!) before mounting the lens on the body. 

Simon 

Message posted by simon on March-27-2006 at 3:05pm
View simon's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by simon Search   Visit simon's Homepage www   Quote simon Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
simon
Gold Member
Gold Member

January-14-2003
141 Posts

To add to the above, others have overcome this problem very cleverly.

http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Adaptateur_EOS_Nikon/Instal_a_manual-Stop_setting_on_the_Nik-EOS_adapter.html

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on March-29-2006 at 4:27am
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi Simon

Great article. Thank you very much

Best regards

Morten Andersen

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen