Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Underwater Panos Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Blacktip on March-27-2006 at 4:35am
View Blacktip's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Blacktip Search   Quote Blacktip Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Blacktip
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-07-2006
39 Posts

Does anyone know of anybody who has tried, successfully or not, to shoot a 360x360 underwater pano? 

I would guess that it would take a lot of Photoshoppin to get the images to line up since 1. there ain't no way you can get a perfect rotation around the nodal point, 2. you'll probably be at least a few inches off due to current or from wave action, 3. trying to get everything to line up for one shot is good, but staying neutral while rotating would be a huge accomplishment, 4. the underwater housing might get in the way requiring more photos than normal.

I'd like to try just for the fun of it to show folks what it looks like under an oil rig off the Texas coast. If you've never been under one underwater, think of it like a huge coral and barnacle encrusted reef stretching hundreds of feet vertically and horizontally. Tons of fish, lots of neat things going on.

I guess you could use it commercially also, since you might be able to entice scuba resorts to shoot local reefs or other hotspots to attract divers and snorkelers. Other than that, I don't think Flipper or Nemo have a lot of expendible income to contract a tour.

Message posted by zxcvbnm on March-27-2006 at 6:44am
View zxcvbnm's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by zxcvbnm Search   Quote zxcvbnm Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
zxcvbnm
Gold Member
Gold Member

September-16-2005
156 Posts
I you search google for underwater qtvr

underwater qtvr

then you get some really nice ones hosted by panoramas.dk and a bunch of advice pages.

Most of the ones I come accross are cylindrical ones which are probably much easier to shine a light and still look quite nice.

Message posted by 360texas on March-27-2006 at 1:21pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

After you buy the camera housing -

1st  thing you are going to find is that with the sun directly over head and at 15 feet all your color is lost except YELLOW.  So light fill is necessary.  Best water is first 10' depth.  Below that your colors start filtering out.

2nd water clarity in the gulf is not too good as I recall.  Surface wave action keep the water particulates stirred up - first 10' you might get 15 to 20' horizontal visibility.

3rd because of constant surface wind/wave action it will be difficult under best conditions to keep from moving 2 - 3' off point.  That surface motion is propagated down to around 30' or so,  then you start being affected by currents.  At 30 foot depth, all color is filtered out and every thing is monochromatic blue.

This was taken between 3 and 5 feet depth in Cancun few years ago.  Self explanatory :

http://www.360texas.com/tips/rd/fishpanorama/index.htm

For 30'+ depth still shots and movies you can see them here.  We took them while diving in Cancun, Mexico

http://www.360texas.com/virtualtour/mexico/cancun/scuba/index.htm

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by vrboy on April-18-2006 at 11:30am
View vrboy's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by vrboy Search   Visit vrboy's Homepage www   Quote vrboy Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
vrboy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Australia
August-09-2002
64 Posts

yep we did some in cairns a few years ago I think we used a cp950or 995 and we custom made the underwater enclosure Heres the url

http://www.divepix.com.au/

Hope you like em

Craig

-------------
My Link

Message posted by eagle on April-18-2006 at 1:23pm
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts
Hi Craig,

Awesome!!

Any tips you can share on how you did them?

r,
eagle

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register