Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Correct camera roll before stitch Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by lars on March-29-2006 at 3:16pm
View lars's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by lars Search   Quote lars Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
lars
Standard Member
Standard Member
New Zealand
March-29-2006
5 Posts
In panoweaver 4.0 how do I correct the camera roll before stitching?
My horizon is not horizontal () in the picture. I have tried to shim my camera on the tripod head but it should be possible to do this in the program. I have found old press releases from easypano in which this is mentioned as one of the major points but I cannot find how to do this in panoweaver 4.
How this manifests itself is the perimeter and center of my tripod head don't connect when making stitching, the top of the spherical is off by the same amount.

Message posted by 360texas on March-29-2006 at 5:31pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Hi Lars,  Welcome to the forum

Camera Roll.  Ok... I can understand that issue.  In your email you say that you have an Agnos MrotatorB and a Nikon Coolpix 5700 and a FC-E9.  I appologize for not immediately replying to your email.

You correct the camera roll by making sure that your panorama head is LEVEL on each shot at the time the images are taken.  Some people have an additional device called a quick leveller.  It is a device with 3 thumb wheels that can level the pan head deck during rotation.

Other wise you will need to level each tripod leg.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by lars on March-29-2006 at 6:31pm
View lars's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by lars Search   Quote lars Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
lars
Standard Member
Standard Member
New Zealand
March-29-2006
5 Posts
g'day Dave,
Thanks for that. Yes that is the equipment I use. The problem I found is with the pano head, when I level the Agnos MrotatorB head and get the bubble in the circle my camera is still rolled. The two surfaces of the support bracket are not parallel to each other in the horizontal plane. That is the problem too with the pictures I did sent you earlier (last week). Like you say, I should level the camera with another spirit level but given that it is so small and easypano previously had that capability in its product description, being able to manually adjust pitch and roll, I would like to know how. It just does not look right having to shim the camera with a piece of paper/plastic on one site when switching between normal and panorama shoots.
Cheers Lars

Message posted by 360texas on March-29-2006 at 7:28pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Do you have a 3 thumbwheel device between the tripod head and the tripod base ?  Try levelling up the tripod to near level.  Then level up the pan head for shot #1.  Take your first image.. then click stop to image #2 and level up.. continue throught to the end click stop

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by lars on March-29-2006 at 8:00pm
lars
Standard Member
Standard Member
New Zealand
March-29-2006
5 Posts
g'day Dave, yes I do have the Kaidan three thumb wheel to level. But back to my question: I would like to do the rotating in software (like one can in PTGui and other software), can this be done?

I also asked tech support their answer was:

>>"I'm afraid it's a little difficult to realize except you can keep each image rotate in the same degrees. Otherwise, Panoweaver may not stitch very well."<<

All my pictures are rotated by the same number of degrees. So the answer alludes to the fact that it can be done but the lady stopped short of telling me how.

I just cannot see it working with good results if I have to change the position of the camera between every shot.

Cheers,
Lars

Message posted by bentech on March-29-2006 at 11:23pm
View bentech's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by bentech Search   Visit bentech's Homepage www   Quote bentech Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
bentech
Standard Member
Standard Member
Canada
February-03-2006
10 Posts

Hi,

I'm not totally sure but I think that using the "matching point editor" and by matching a least 3 points on each shot, the software will do a bunch of calculation and adjust the picture so they can stich properly... Am I right?

I think that's why you don't find how to adjust the roll... I think you can't!  If adjustment is needed it's done by using the matching points

Cheers

-------------
Bentech
www.panomedia.ca

Message posted by smooth on March-30-2006 at 3:09am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Really you shouldn't being having this issue if you have set your camera and panohead up correctly. Camera roll can only be as a result of poor set up or levelling.

The FC-E9 can be set to perfect level within the MrotatorB before locking into permanent position with the hex (Allan) screw (the camera should be attached to the lens) to achieve correct level. You might need to use either A) A hot shoe bubble level or B) A very small spirit level from the hardware store.

Panoweaver 4.0 will make up for "slight" horizon level (roll) issues.

On top of all this you must be 100% sure and accurate in tripod levelling before shooting your sequence of shots for the panorama.

Over the many years of the MrotatorB release and using with Panoweaver know one has ever really asked any questions about correcting camera roll.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by lars on March-30-2006 at 8:34pm
lars
Standard Member
Standard Member
New Zealand
March-29-2006
5 Posts
smooth you are absolutely right. It is all in the setup of the camera on the pano head. I will try to get a second camera over the weekend so I can take some pictures of the problems I am having.

When mounting the lens and camera to the pano head there is about a 3-4mm gap between my camera and the mounting bracked for the camera.    In addition to that when the attached spirit level on the pano head indicates being level and I put a small spirit level on the three mounting screws in front, on top of the rotation point, the second spirit level indicates it is not level. when moving the spirit level to the mounting bracket for the camera it is even off by more.

I have been able to make good pictures with the camera and the pano head just not consistent as I not everything lines up, every time.

Cheers,
Lars

Message posted by smooth on March-30-2006 at 11:58pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Lars,

I assume you leave the lens permanently attached to the MrotatorB?

When you screw the camera on it should always align to the correct position if it was set up correctly the first time. The only places you should be concerned about level is the bubble level on top of the MrotatorB in position (1) only for shooting the panorama images. But before shooting images you must make 100% sure the lens is set back as far as possible (flush) with the MrotatorB and that the camera is dead level horizontally before lock down the hex (Allan) screw/bolt. A hot shoe level is perfect for this. Now, if you are doing this on a tripod then you MUST have the tripod dead level and the readings for this should be taken at the top of the tripod not the top of the MrotatorB.

So summery:

• Tripod level
  • Attach MrotatorB
  • Insert FC-E9 tighten very lightly
  • Attach Camera
  • Make sure FC-E9 is flush to the MrotatorB
  • Level the camera Horizontally (Roll)
  • Fix camera to support bracket
  • Check everything again
  • Tighten Hex (Allan) screw/bolt

Then after this you can use only the MrotatorB bubble level as the correct levelling device for shooting your panorama photo sequence. Remember position (1) the 0-360 mark is the only time the bubble level must be perfectly centred. Shoot (P1) Perfect Level, Rotate Shoot (P2) Bubble Level could be Out (Doesn't Matter), Rotate Shoot (P3) Bubble Level could be Out (Doesn't Matter), Back to (P1) Perfect Level.

Hope this helps, Smooth 

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register