Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: exposure problem Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Andy454 on April-06-2006 at 11:12pm
View Andy454's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Andy454 Search   Quote Andy454 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Andy454
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
February-19-2006
10 Posts

I recent did a photo survey of a new library. I use a D50 w/ a sigma 8 mrotatortcpshort. I set the d50 to manual, ISO 400, White balance to auto, shutter 1/80 and aperture F4.

First question...The problem I'm having is the exposure in the TOP view. All the other shots are great but for some reason the top view comes in lighter. In the pano, when looking up it looks like a fairly big circle in a lighter exposure.

Second Question..If you use manual mode and set the shutter, aperture and iso do you have to use the AE-Lock or is that redundant?

Message posted by alexclassics on April-25-2006 at 11:46am
View alexclassics's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by alexclassics Search   Quote alexclassics Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
alexclassics
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Arab Emirates
February-02-2006
12 Posts

Hi There,

I have the same equipment of yours and I get the same problem with both top and bottom shots.

Did you find a solution to it yet?

Alex.

Message posted by 360texas on April-25-2006 at 5:39pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

You might consider taking RAW images and using Adobe Carmera RAW to adjust your white balance and exposure.  Then you won't need to be concerned about AE-Lock.

AE-Lock is good to use on a Nikon 950, 990, 5000, 4500 maybe a few more.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by Gen. Lee on April-25-2006 at 9:02pm
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

You need to use all manual settings.

Dont use auto white balance. Thats is the first problem. White balance is a big issue. Use either direct sun or incandescent depending on the amount and mix of lighting. Or shoot RAW as Dave suggested.

AE-lock just locks the exposure settings the camera has picked ( shutter speed and aperture) so that each successive shot is taken with the same settings. If you go to full manual you pick these and they dont change between shots unless you change them your self. AE-lock is just for using when the camera is in auto mode.

Use a diaopter cover. Light entering the diaopter will bounce of the mirror and sometimes cause the exposure to change.

Consider the light in the room. If your top shot is of a lighted fan you can expect an exposure difference.

When the camera is rotated for the top shot light will pass more obliquley through the lens. If a bright light source near the lens is present or if the sund is beaming in through a window the exposre will change. Either brighter of darket depending on the overal lighting in the room.

The key to avoiding these problems is placement of the camera in the space and the lighting in the room. I sometimes turn off some lamps and I always turn off the center top light of the room. I open all the windows. Avoid areas where there is a strong light source near the camera and If can't avoid this then change the lighting by turning on or off the available lighting in the room.

General Lee

Message posted by smooth on April-26-2006 at 12:33am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

I suggest using the AE-L on Nikon Coolpix series cameras when shooting in .jpg format. As it locks the White Balance also. This allows you to use Auto White Balance if you so choose. Whilst I also recommend using your camera in manual mode auto white balance will suffice if you use the AE-L. Your first shot for metering should be at a well lit part of the room without excessively bright sunlight within shot.

Compose this shot lock the AE-L and shoot your panorama series.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by smooth on April-26-2006 at 12:41am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Shooting "Up" shots is really not necessary unless you have super important information on the roof (like a cathedral) You simply clone and heal using Photoshop. But is you must use an upshot you will need to adjust the colours and do some blending in Photoshop.

The reason for the colour change, is that the centre portion of the image is always lighter then the outside edges when shot with a Fisheye lens because of light fall off (Vignetting).

You could try shooting the UP shot one F/Stop underexposed to try and compensate for this. This should bring the colours back to a more even match.

A little bit of testing should yield good results. Try haft a stop then 1 full stop and see what works best in your instance.

Regards, Smooth

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register