Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Color fringing Nikon 10.5 Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by ciconia on April-10-2006 at 4:30am
View ciconia's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ciconia Search   Visit ciconia's Homepage www   Quote ciconia Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
ciconia
Standard Member
Standard Member
Germany
October-07-2003
60 Posts

Hi everybody,

my question is slightly off topic, but perhaps someone can help me:

I have started a long term panorama project and bought the Nikkor 10.5 mm to use it with my D1x. I was shocked to see how much color fringing this lens has in the peripherie. After I used Photomatix with bracketed shots taken with the 10.5 lens, the color fringing was so strong that I think I cannot use this lens for HDR photography.

Has anybody made the same experience? Do you have a suggestion for an alternative lens? It should not be the 8 mm, because I have to print the panoramas  and need biggest possible files. I know that many people use the 10.5 with the D70. Does this produce better results?

Thanks in advance for your help

Holger

-------------
Holger Schulz, photoaround
http://www.photoaround.de

Message posted by simon on April-10-2006 at 7:04pm
View simon's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by simon Search   Visit simon's Homepage www   Quote simon Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
simon
Gold Member
Gold Member

January-14-2003
141 Posts

The 10.5 is possibly as good as it gets for a fisheye. Shoot raw then run your images through Nikon Capture 4.2 and select color aberration control (bottom 'image' menu). It's the only ca tool I've found that seems to work perfectly. Hope this is of some help.

Simon

Message posted by ciconia on April-10-2006 at 8:52pm
View ciconia's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ciconia Search   Visit ciconia's Homepage www   Quote ciconia Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
ciconia
Standard Member
Standard Member
Germany
October-07-2003
60 Posts

Thank you, Simon. I have tried this, and it works very well. After having cured the bracketed images with the CA removal tool of Capture 4 I blend them with Photomatix (HDR + Tone Mapping) and save them to 16-bit TIF. CA becomes then visible again. Now I run the blended image through ther LCH editor (Chroma) of Capture, which almost completely removes the remaining color fringing.

Nevertheless, I am still surprised that a Nikkor "prime" lens exhibits such strong chromatic aberration.

Regards

Holger

-------------
Holger Schulz, photoaround
http://www.photoaround.de

Message posted by Gen. Lee on April-21-2006 at 1:53pm
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

I use the 10.5 exclusivly and have for thousands of tours. I don't havea any color fringing. The lens is awsome. You can shoot wide open (f2.5) with perfect results.

Could you post some sample images that are not stitched.

Or are you getting this in the final pano

General Lee

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register