Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: What would be a good tripod? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Randy on May-03-2006 at 5:15pm
View Randy's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Randy Search   Quote Randy Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Randy
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-03-2006
4 Posts

This might not be the most complicated question, but since I am new to all of this, I was wondering if some tripods are better than others for shooting panos.

I'd hate to spend a couple hundred dollars only to find out that every one else is using a certain type of tripod for a certain reason.

Should I stay away from the type that "crank" up?
Is a heavier tripod actually better (less movement) than a lighter one?

Is there a certain type of head I should be looking for?
I was told that the Manfrotto 755B was used a lot by pano makers.

I am looking at the Bogen 3021Pro, and I think I might get that one....

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks, Randy

Message posted by smooth on May-04-2006 at 2:12am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hi Randy,

Mate, Tripods are personal things and really it depends on what you want out of it. First thing Bogen is Manfrotto (Just renamed for the US market).

You really need a tripod that is heavy enough to prevent movement when rotating or windy. Tall enough to get the height you require and closes small enough to carry.

Personally I use a Velbon Sherpa 600 aluminium tripod as it suits my needs perfectly.

I have removed the PH-157Q 3-way panhead and replaced it with the Manfrotto #222 pistol grip quick leveller.

I'm sure the Manfrotto Tripods have one to suit your needs and there are plenty here on the forum who could offer there opinions on these. I also have another tripod I like a lot it is a "Luck Chicken Foot" brand (meaning it's Chinese and doesn't have a real brand name) it is a very well constructed product and very heavy and stable (though I don't like carrying it very far because of the weight!)

It is marked Fan Cier FT-6703 Professional Tripod Seems it is also known as the Weifeng FT6703 I can tell you this is a very nice tripod and great value for money considering it comes with pistol grip head and the centre pole removes to be used a Monopod.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Regards, Smooth 

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register