Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Sigma 8mm f/4 EX "DG" HELP!! Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by djrez on May-23-2006 at 3:24pm
View djrez's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by djrez Search   Quote djrez Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
djrez
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-23-2006
3 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7621727995

I just realized that that although the description of this item says, "DG" and also mentions the flare elimination coating, the box and manual do not say, "DG".

If you own this lens, does it look like the DG to you?

I may have been mislead  :(   I have asked the seller not to ship if it was listed wrong. We'll see.

thanks for any opinions, especially if you know for sure from experience!

Tony

Message posted by djrez on May-23-2006 at 4:14pm
View djrez's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by djrez Search   Quote djrez Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
djrez
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-23-2006
3 Posts

The seller admits it was listed wrong. It's not the DG. He says he will refund my money.  :)

Message posted by zxcvbnm on May-23-2006 at 5:01pm
View zxcvbnm's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by zxcvbnm Search   Quote zxcvbnm Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
zxcvbnm
Gold Member
Gold Member

September-16-2005
156 Posts
Small world, I actually sent a ebay question to that seller asking if it was really a dg lens but they did not reply.

Looking at ebay I think there are hardly any of the dg lens ever sold second hand, as you would expect for a just out product.

However all the sellers of older lens's go to the sigma website and copy and paste the 8mm fisheye details without ever noticing it is a newer model. I suspect many of the buyers never realise there is a difference either. Whether or not the new coating is more than a cosmetic change is hard to know too admitedly.

The cameta photo people were banging out old stock of the ex version new with warranty for 419 dollars for most of the last six months, though they seem out now, so I generally reckon the ex prices should be lower than that for second hand. I might be tempted around the 300 dollar mark but otherwise I agree it would be nicer to have the new version.

Looks like the cheapest is sigma4less.com at around 560 dollars for a grey market version. I imagine the prices will come down a little over the next few months as the supply chains fill up of the new model. The people selling them cheap from hong kong will then reappear too.

Anyway glad he owned up.

Message posted by rfh12002 on June-03-2006 at 7:42am
View rfh12002's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by rfh12002 Search   Visit rfh12002's Homepage www   Quote rfh12002 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
rfh12002
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

July-07-2005
770 Posts

Hi there

Is there a big difference between the two lenses?

Cheers

F

Message posted by Blacktip on June-04-2006 at 12:26am
View Blacktip's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Blacktip Search   Quote Blacktip Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Blacktip
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-07-2006
39 Posts
I read on another site that a lens junky was saying they are just about the same. The elements and internals do not make a new lens and the coating won't make up for a hood. His summary was the DG was an EX with a new marketing campaign.

Message posted by smooth on June-04-2006 at 2:18am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

It was all about the lens coating to reduce flare. I have the EX and don't feel compelled to upgrade or side shift. The flare was never really all that bad anyway. Certainly if the price was only say $100.00 difference then yes I would most likely buy the DG version if I was buying new. But, really as far as I know it is not the be all and end all.

What flare the EX produces is pretty easily dealt with in Photoshop.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by 360texas on June-04-2006 at 10:20am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Yes, I too like the star fire affect of the lens flare... you would have to buy a separate lens filter to get that star affect.  The affect comes free with  older EX lens

By the way,  I am still checking the forum every day... reading.  Busy with Canon 5d and learning some new hardware stuff, which I will report on later when I am finished.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by smooth on June-04-2006 at 12:41pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

I personally wouldn't class the star effect as lens flare. The flare is the light spots trailing from the brightest spot (I.E the sun)

You can see an excellent example of sun flare and the EX Sigma 8mm that I chose not to edit because I liked the look of it at www.smooth360.com/panos/reddog.html The coloured light spots are 100% most definitely the lens flare. A reflective result of the bright light on the face of the lens. The orange and green effect is always the last and most dramatic of all the flaring. All would be pretty easy to clone out if need be. The alternative is to block the sun (or light) with your hand or a card in the front on image. Some tape a small card to a flexible paper clip wire and attach to the lens to position.

But in some cases you will like the effect.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by Blacktip on June-04-2006 at 2:47pm
View Blacktip's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Blacktip Search   Quote Blacktip Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Blacktip
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-07-2006
39 Posts

What, you mean those orbs aren't ghosts, phantoms, or the spirits of the dead captured on film???

(ducking and running for cover)

Message posted by 360texas on June-04-2006 at 3:29pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

You are right.. lens flares are light reflection of the multisided aperature opening reflecting off the different internal lens optics. 

Typically a blown out light bulb or the sun would be a normal bullseye.  Sigma seems to convert that bullseye into a star affect.. which is cool.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register