Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Anyone use a Ball Head ? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by 360texas on June-04-2006 at 3:37pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Anyone use a ball head/ quick release combination for leveling ?  Something similar to a Bogen/Manfrotto 488RC2  or 488RC4? They have a quick release so you can take the panhead off.  The TCPshort has a quick release to remove the camera.  Would mount a Mrtoator TCPshort pan head on top.

I know Smooth uses a handgrip/ball head.

Ball heads are rated in support weight in Kg or Pounds.

Manfrotto/Bogen 488RC2 or C4 are rated for a panhead/camera weight of 17 pounds.

I mounted a TCPshort with the Canon 5d/Sigma 8 (2.57kg 5.5lbs) on a mini ball and found that while I could level it alright.. it would drift off center.  Guess I need a bigger ball head to support weight of around 15 lbs (or 3 x pan head weight).

What are other folks using?

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by eagle on June-05-2006 at 8:33am
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts
Hi Dave,

I too use the handgrip/head and love it. No experience with the standard ball head.

r,
eagle

Message posted by smooth on June-05-2006 at 12:16pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Dave,

I have a Manfrotto 488RC2 that I use also (apart from my #222 pistol grip) I don't have any issue with slippage and I run the extra battery pack also.

Using it with the MrotatorTCPS I don't think this is the ideal set up. The #222 is better for this purpose. Also look at the Manfrotto #322RC2

322RC2

Manfrotto #222

Manfrotto 486RC2

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by 360texas on June-05-2006 at 1:54pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Thank you for your response.  Functionally, I wanted a device that is short. I plan to use the head with the other two cameras 350d and 20d.  I decided on a 468RCO which looks like this.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by Kevin on June-05-2006 at 2:01pm
View Kevin's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Kevin Search   Visit Kevin's Homepage www   Quote Kevin Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Kevin
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-24-2006
133 Posts
I was looking at the Bogen / Manfrotto 3265 Grip Action Ballhead the other day in a shop (same as the image for Manfrotto #222 listed above). I really liked how quick and easy to use it was. I currently use a Kaidan QuickTilt Leveler at work, but I think I might go this one for my personal set up. I know the rating is only 5.50 lbs but this was what I was planning:

Canon Rebel XT 485g
    Sigma 8mm 320g
    NodalNinja 475g
    Total weight 1280 grams = 2.80 lbs

I should be well under the limit. Does any on for see any problems? Will there be an issue mounting the NodaNinja to the quick release plate?

I also had two other questions, do I need a Bogen / Manfrotto tripod or can I mount this head on another tripod.

My last question is related to quick release systems there are a ton out there. I wish to get a system for attaching the Canon to the NodalNinja, any suggestions? The NodalNinja site shows the Velbon Quick Release Adapter (QR-667L). Anyone have a favorite? Or best value for the money?

-------------
--Kevin

http://www.webvisiontours.com/

Message posted by 360texas on June-05-2006 at 2:21pm
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Hmm well our weights go like this:

Canon 5d Body      1.66 Lb
Sigma 8                   0.71
Mrotator TCPshort  3.17
Total                          4.90 Lbs

Added weight factor 3x  5lbs = 15Lbs

488RCO Ball Head load support 17.6 Lbs

The "tilt down" load force moment of the camera and bracket is 3" off center so there is a tendency for the ball to rotate backward and down because of the bracket/camera weight. The clamp on the smaller ball head would not tighten enough to hold it.

I just decided that 7 lb ball's would not handle the load.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by eagle on June-05-2006 at 2:32pm
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts
I'd much rather have the 322 though. It's shorter than the 3265 that I use now. Would make it easier to see the bubble on the agnos head.

r,
eagle

Message posted by 360texas on June-05-2006 at 3:11pm
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Agreed that the 222 is shorter however, while rotating it has a handle that seems to extend into one or more images.

The Ball head appears to perform better than the 4" diameter Kaidan 3 wheel thumbwheel quick leveler.  Ball head has a smaller foot print.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by smooth on June-06-2006 at 6:26am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

I think if it was me with those considerations I would go for the 322RC2.

The handle would not appear in any shots. Also the 322RC2 can be stood upright like the #222 if needed.

I find the ball head clumsy with a lot of weight on it when compared to my #222. Still all will work.....

To answer Kevin, You don't have to use a Manfrotto tripod (so long as it has a removable panhead) in fact there are better and less expensive models and brands available.

I chose to use the #222 and 486RC2 because all have the same quick release adaptor. The same that is supplied with the Agnos MrotatorTCPS and the same as the one I fitted to my video camera and Agnos MrotatorC panohead and my MrotatorA and B that I use with my Nikon Coolpix cameras. Now I don't have to worry about having the right base plate (they are all the same).

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by VT360 on June-08-2006 at 12:14pm
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

Bogen / Manfrotto 3265 Grip Action Ballhead is awsome!!!

Super fast to set up specially with the quick release plates.

And the built in bubble level is very handy.

Just my 3 cents. let us know what u ended up buyin and how

it worked out.

the 468rco will probably occupy less space and the little knob is a good idea to avoid the lens from capturing handles and stuff.  but the 3265 has no handles either.

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register