Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: LCD vs CRT Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by maserati on August-02-2006 at 10:41pm
View maserati's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by maserati Search   Quote maserati Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
maserati
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
August-04-2005
51 Posts
I wonder what percentage of users are on LCD vs CRT. I am on a CRT and create everything on CRT monitor and am quite shocked when I see tours on a LCD. The low res alone makes for larger tours, but sometimes they are really dark, and others over exposed on a LCD, but they look fine on a CRT. Has anyone noticed this?

And if you make it on a LCD correct visually would the same variance show up on a CRT?

Are LCD as easy to calibrate as a CRT?

Bottomline is they do look different. I read somewhere that Apple is LCD only now. Are over half the current users on LCD?

-------------
John R Sembrot

Message posted by smooth on August-03-2006 at 2:33am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

LCD Sucks (Oops! Personal opinion)

I have noticed this and it scares the hell out of me. People have even emailed me to tell me my panoramas are over exposed. When clearly they are not on my CRT with the correct Gamma and Colours settings.

The bottom line is that we have no control over the end user and what piece of crap they are using to view our panoramas.

I took a look at some of mine just the other day on LCD and the colours aren't even close. I look at other panoramas made "obviously" on a LCD screen and they are so dark you cannot see details.

I can attest to knowing without doubt that my monitor is calibrated absolutely correctly and what I see on my CRT is NOT what others see on their LCD.

What to do? Wack 'em over the back of the head with a 4 x 2 and tell to buy a real monitor! LOL

Maybe we need to have a crappy LCD sitting beside the CRT just so we know what the plebes will view?

*Shrug* I have no idea.... 

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by RuddersUK on August-03-2006 at 4:36am
View RuddersUK's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RuddersUK Search   Visit RuddersUK's Homepage www   Quote RuddersUK Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RuddersUK
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
July-16-2004
372 Posts
I use a 22" CRT to do most of my work on but when im out of the studio I use the lappy which has a 19" TFT and the panos just dont compare to the CRT, They look grainy with bad colours etc... I expected more from a high end HP laptop..

Message posted by 360texas on August-03-2006 at 8:12am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Hmm Rudders and Smooth sound like happy campers today > LOLLOLL

About the only control is... suggest to the visitors to be sure to set their monitors (LCD or CRT) to the highest color setting their video card can use and hope for the best.

Then we have come across some visitors that are partially color blind to some degree.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by Gen. Lee on August-03-2006 at 8:28am
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

LOL..........I hear you Smooth. Same thing happens to me all the time.

It is true that CRT's will render color more accuratly to what the humane eye sees. But this is only useful for print use. Most print shops still use high end CRT's because they can get a screen proof that will be very close to what it will look like on paper.

LCD's are the new standard for monitors. CRT's are going away for consumer users. They are a biohazard and expensive to make among other things. LCD technology is now able to make better quality images than on a CRT. The only advantage a CRT has is the fact that it uses phosphorous to render color instead of diodes. Phosphorous will  render color closer to 4 color process in print so for this use they aren't going away. In fact high quality CRT prices are now way high. You can still get cheap ones but their screen burn, resolution and general picture quality plain sucks. Its not like the old days where you could by a $400 CRT and have the best image quality. Now this wont get you squat in CRT's.

Bottom line whether we like it or not is LCD's are hear to stay. In 10 years I bet you won't see a single one except in a museum or in a print shop and those will cost thousands of dollars.

There is some helpful info out there about color correction on LCD monitors. It's not quite the same as using a CRT. Besides even on CRT's people use different gamma settings on their monitors and have different color settings. The same problem exists on CRT's as on LCD's. It's just that when you color correct on a CRT due to how the color is rendered it may be way off on a LCD. But this all has to do with the color gamut of the monitor really.

General Lee

Message posted by maserati on August-03-2006 at 12:13pm
View maserati's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by maserati Search   Quote maserati Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
maserati
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
August-04-2005
51 Posts
It really is hard to move in any direction. Switching from CRT can be expensive for a quality 19' to replace the 21' CRT, and still there is no guarantee as to the end use experience.

I think holding off a bit more until the inevitable becomes the majority. There is no way of knowing on our end? Is there any way a viewer could include an optimizer bar, or toggle switch that changes saturation etc. if the end-user is having a bad experience because of his settings?

Hell my vt's are in the stone age compared to the 360 kings early in the post, and it pisses me off to see good quality work butchered by an LCD.

-------------
John R Sembrot

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register