Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: My Nikon Woe Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by rfh12002 on August-17-2006 at 3:45pm
View rfh12002's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by rfh12002 Search   Visit rfh12002's Homepage www   Quote rfh12002 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
rfh12002
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

July-07-2005
770 Posts

Well I finally got a D70s DSLR and I love it! Well - loved it.  Around a month into my ownership of this brand new cam, whilst carrying it in the NIKON bag I paid extra for a button snapped off.  I couldn't believe it - the af/m button on the front of the cam left of the lense simply snapped at somepoint.

The problem was that I was about to go on a major shoot and needed the camera as a point and shoot (not for panos). The camera was unuseable becuase the button base ring was not setting on either Af or M so I used a tiny bit of superglue on the end of a pin to stick the broken button to the ring which allowed me to use the cam.

I contacted Nikon support and they were very helpful. THEN i got the bill. Since I stupidly tried to fix it I am now not covered by the warranty and its costing me 140 pounds MINIMUM to get this fixed. I'm furious as I know I tried to fix it but it was either that or a 600 quid trip went down the tubes.  Nikon are also saying that I'd tried to open the cam as a screw on the base was missing - something I had not done or knew nothing about. I'm happy to admit what I needed to do to sort out the probs I had with the workmanship on this cam but to add that in has really annoyed me.

I'm now three months into my ownership of this cam and its been away for three weeks and will cost me the minimum of 140 pound to fix a 2cm button which broke in a Nikon bag.

I'm really hacked off with it. I know (now) I must have violated the warranty but has anyone got any suggestions?  I don't mind paying for any probs with the glue (a tiny amount applied with a pin!) but to be charged for everything else seems harsh  - esp when the nice man I spoke to said he'd have done the same!

Argghhh.

Prob just one of those things...

Message posted by smooth on August-17-2006 at 3:59pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Forrest,

I don't know what to say mate.

You made a judgement call and it backfired. What I would have done on the day? Probably the same thing, but I would have known it would screw the warranty.

Do the shoot or claim under warranty - you had too make a decision.

It does seem a lot for the repair. But everytime anyone in big business can stick it too you they will. It is a bit of a worry that the thing broke off in the first place. Plastic buttons! When I was looking to buy my Canon I had the choice (at the time) of the cheaper plastic bodied 300D or the Metal bodied 10D. Both pretty much where going to take the same images. But in the end I opted for the 10D for durability. (Maybe a wise choice!)

Good luck mate, I hope you get it back soon and it doesn't cost you the world.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by zxcvbnm on August-17-2006 at 5:02pm
View zxcvbnm's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by zxcvbnm Search   Quote zxcvbnm Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
zxcvbnm
Gold Member
Gold Member

September-16-2005
156 Posts
If you are in the UK then work it out with nikon as best as you can and then if you feel hard done by take them to the small claims court. It costs very little. Give them the opportunity to make it right first obviously. But if you need peice of mind you can get a judgement one way or the other for not much cost at all.

In the end remember you are covered by the sale of goods act. Goods much be fit for the purpose they are sold. Nothing else matters, all warranties and official proclamations are just conversation. Lifes not fair and you can't expect the earth but if Nikon are being unreasonable then you shoudl get some compensation.

And incidentally the d80 is 550 at play.com (don't know if it has a uk warranty though
)

Oh and obviously always remain calm, losing you temper achieve zero with companies. Deciding what you want and being organized helps enourmasly as well.

Message posted by rfh12002 on August-17-2006 at 5:08pm
View rfh12002's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by rfh12002 Search   Visit rfh12002's Homepage www   Quote rfh12002 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
rfh12002
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

July-07-2005
770 Posts

Cheers guys I really appreciate your help. I suppose I just wanted shoulders to cry on!

Message posted by zxcvbnm on August-18-2006 at 11:14am
View zxcvbnm's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by zxcvbnm Search   Quote zxcvbnm Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
zxcvbnm
Gold Member
Gold Member

September-16-2005
156 Posts
Ooh and it just occured to me, should have put you take the retailer to court if you are unhappy not nikon so it may get more complicated actually. hmm

Message posted by rfh12002 on August-18-2006 at 6:54pm
rfh12002
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

July-07-2005
770 Posts

I'm just generally appalled at their level of 'support'.  I saw a Coolpix 5000 on ebay - which was 'untested' and going for not much. I ocontacted their support and said Id bought the cam from ebay and had no warranty and I just wanted to see how much it would be, maximum, to fix it.  They said around 60 pounds. SO i bought the cam for 35 thinking 'sweet' - a working Nikon 5000 backup for less than 100 pounds.

Sent the cam off and then got a bill for...140 quid.  Apparently the person 'got the wrong model number'.  This was after I spoke to him on the phone, described the problem and was told 'um sounds like your camera has a problem' - great!

Won't be buying Nikon again and feel annoyed that I turned down the chance of a Canon 30d for the D70s.

Thanks anyway all.

Message posted by Gen. Lee on August-19-2006 at 2:39pm
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

I use the D70s. I have two of them and ordered a  third yesterday. Why you ask.....because they are cheap......camera body only costs around $600. You can get a refurb for even less.

These cameras were made for the average consumer. They are not pro level cameras. The shutter is only rated to about 100,000 exposures. When the shutter wears out its time to throw the camera away as this can not be repaired....well the whole mechanisim can be replaced but what for....just get a new one.

I am not surprised at all to hear your focus button fell off....LOL. It is impossible to find a NON grey market camera. Atleast in the US. All the camera suppliers carry grey market models because they can offer very cheap prices that beat the brick and morter stores. These companies will say "it comes with a US warrenty". Well that doesnt mean its not grey market. All it means is they are selling a warranty with the price. A NON grey market will say "Made in Japan" and not "Made in Thailand". IF you find one made in Japan it will prob cost over a thousand dollars.

Which brings me to another point. ALL nikon service points are private businesses contracted to do Nikon work. A lot of them are less than professional. Thats why they say one cost and then charge you higher on the bill. They are in it for the money not customer service.

I have already worn out the first one I bought. It went to about 90,000 exposures before the shutter began to fail. I serviced it and that didnt help. It still locks up.

I have a very busy photography business. One D70 generates thousands and thousands of dollars in profit. I use them sort of as disposable cameras. I have the CCD cleaned a couple times and by then its time to throw it away and get a new one. They last me about 8 months before this happens. But it only cost $600....or less

If you want something on the pro level that should last years you should probably get a magnesium body Canon. Among other great things Canon is well known for the robustness of their cameras. Nearly all adventure/combat photojournalists use canon for this reason. The grey market problem is not near as bad and you can actually find a non grey market canon.

I have  canon 5d on order now. This will be my still camera that I will use for high quality print work in advertising. I will continue to use the throw away D70s for pano work. I find myself in all kinds of locations....hicking on golf courses, crawling around pool decks, climbing flights and flights of stairs....its only a matter of time before the camera is bumbed, dropped or suffers some kind of "environmental accident". So I figure why invest a lot of money into a camera that is very likly to become disabled at some point. I am on my Third D70s in only 18 months. But that is becasue of the volume and kind of work I do.

Otherwise the D70s is a great camera. I am teaching my 12 year old daughter to use one of the disabled ones now. IF she drops is or whatever no worries. It has lived its useful life.

Besides where can you get a good DSLR for $600 bucks. Remember this IS NOT A PRO LEVEL CAMERA. If you need pro level get a canon.

General Lee

Message posted by rfh12002 on August-19-2006 at 5:29pm
rfh12002
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

July-07-2005
770 Posts

Very nice advice and I def wont touch Nikon with a ten foot barge pole.

Mind you - I do think that 1200 dollars for a cam which doesnt last a month before it looses parts and then takes over a month to fix is a bit much!

I'll bear your comments in mind next time I buy a cam - its a shame as I really liked the D200!

Ta

F

Message posted by simon on August-20-2006 at 3:21am
View simon's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by simon Search   Visit simon's Homepage www   Quote simon Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
simon
Gold Member
Gold Member

January-14-2003
141 Posts

I wouldn't dismiss Nikon, just think you've just been very unlucky.
Gen. Lee wrote 'The shutter is only rated to about 100,000 exposures' that's the same as the 5d.and more than the 20d I think! So remarkable value. Agree with Gen. Lee that they are 'throw away' cameras but not sure what digital cameras aren't at the moment. Canons two pro-bodies (1DMk2N and 1DSMk2) shutters will last 250k actuations, perhaps 2-3 years pro-use by which time it's time to upgrade anyway.

Not knocking Canon as I use both......Just some thoughts.......

Message posted by rfh12002 on August-24-2006 at 8:19am
rfh12002
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

July-07-2005
770 Posts

This just gets better and better. Called Nikon 'support' on Monday and was told camera would be out to me on Wednesday.  Called again today (Thursday) to be told it was Tuesday now...

I'm furious! Nothing, I mean nothing, they have told me at any point has been carried through upon.  Def my last time with this lot. 

Is Canon's support any better as they will be my next manufacturer?

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register