Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: How to deal with rain - shooting outdoor? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Pokko on September-19-2006 at 7:44am
View Pokko's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Pokko Search   Visit Pokko's Homepage www   Quote Pokko Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Pokko
Standard Member
Standard Member
Netherlands
November-21-2005
33 Posts
I have to shoot an outdoor event prety soon and so far I was lucky with the weatherconditions, had some rain but could shoot inbetween the showers.

But what if it's raining like crazy all day, is there some way to protect the cam from the water?

How do you guys deal with this?

-------------
www.360photo.nl

Message posted by RuddersUK on September-19-2006 at 8:26am
View RuddersUK's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RuddersUK Search   Visit RuddersUK's Homepage www   Quote RuddersUK Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RuddersUK
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
July-16-2004
372 Posts
Just dont bother! thats how we deal with it.. If its really bad rain then theres not much point in shooting the pano to start with.. If its for a client, have a force majure clause in your terms and conditions, stating if the weather is too bad then you dont shoot.

Message posted by Pokko on September-19-2006 at 9:03am
View Pokko's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Pokko Search   Visit Pokko's Homepage www   Quote Pokko Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Pokko
Standard Member
Standard Member
Netherlands
November-21-2005
33 Posts
It's at the racetrack... so there's a short timespan, and a lot of action going on. In Monsoon condition this gives offcourse great pics. IF I can shoot 'em.

Is there some sort of raincover for camera's. I made one myself   before outtoff som plastic bags only leaving the lens itself uncovered. It worked but it was far from ideal.

Offcourse I pray for a perfectly sunny day with some pretty clouds here and there, but gotta be prepared for the worsed.

-------------
www.360photo.nl

Message posted by 360texas on September-19-2006 at 12:16pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts
Tiny Umbrella

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by Gen. Lee on September-19-2006 at 4:33pm
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

I have thought about this myself. At first I considered buying an underwater enclosure as this would surly work but these are very expensive. I have been wanting to take some panos from shallow water and in the surf...etc so I can think of many ways to make use of this. But they cost about $500 to a $1000.

I have also wanted to take a pano in rainy weather.

I have thought of building a square box enclosure out of lexan. I would simply extend the tripod mounting bolt through the base of the box. The base would be made of wood. This way you can then mount the camera inside the box. The box and camera would be mounted to the rotator which is mounted to the tripod. You want the lens butted up next to the lexan as close as possible. The back of the box has a door or open space through which you would mount the camera. If left open you could cover this with plastic that is velcrowed to the back. Operate the camera using a remote cord or wireless. The whole box with camera inside rotates because the rotator is mounted on the tripod under the box.

This is not "water proof" but water resistant as they say. But I think if properly built you could use it without an umbrella in the pooring rain. If you get fancy you could build the back door to be water tight using rubber seals and a screw mount cover for the back.

Some of the box corners would get in the image but you could photoshop this out later.

The lexan box is how the famous "fish in water" pano was made. There is a thread here but is old about this pano. Some guys from japan put a coolpix 950+FC-E8 lens into a lexan box and partially submerged it in a running stream. The top was open and it was done hand held but I figure if they did that then one could do the same thing for rain.

I would build one myself now if I wasn't already working on a custom flash bracket for use in pano work. Its off the subject but I think I could pull off using a flash with my 10.5mm but the flash must be mounted verticle over the lens.....anyway.

Just some thoughts.

General Lee

Message posted by RuddersUK on September-19-2006 at 6:42pm
View RuddersUK's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RuddersUK Search   Visit RuddersUK's Homepage www   Quote RuddersUK Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RuddersUK
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
July-16-2004
372 Posts
there are all sorts of general rain covers on ebay if you dont mind you lens getting wet. They re like big clear plastic hoods with hand holes in them. just a shame you cant shield the FE lens with it being 180 FOV and all..

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register