Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Newbie on the loose - Please take a look Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by klafe on October-20-2006 at 4:30pm
View klafe's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by klafe Search   Quote klafe Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
klafe
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-05-2006
51 Posts

This is my second try with this new system (D20 - Sigma F 3.5).  The first pano came out really nice and then there is this mess. http://www.soscorporate.com/one.jpg   I did search the forum for help and found some information on ae lock and other tricks of the trade.  Can someone please share with me their thoughts on making this shot work?  The difference in the lighting alone is a huge problem.  I have tried several different techniques that I found on this site but I am missing something.

Also, I used to use Photomatix with the 0-360 and it really worked well.  Does anyone suggest bracketing and using that same software with this set up?

Message posted by pixelator on October-20-2006 at 5:34pm
View pixelator's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by pixelator Search   Visit pixelator's Homepage www   Quote pixelator Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts

Hey klafe,

Welcome to the forum.  This thread may or may not help, it is still open for discussion.

I am trying as well to learn how to correct the same issue.  PS (photo shop) Brightness/Contrast, Exposure, etc. will help a bunch.  Be warned though it will not correct your blending issue.  Sorry, I need to correct that statement, it will if you know how to do it in PS.

Good Luck,

Pixel

Message posted by Gen. Lee on October-20-2006 at 6:01pm
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

I can tell right off that the exposure setting were not locked. Every frame has a different exposure. A real easy way is to set the camera to manual. Set the aperture to about F5 to F8 and set the shutter to about 1/125. Take a test shot. If its too dark go lower by 1 or 2 stops until you get a test shot with good detail in highlights. Use manual focus at infinity. AE_lock will do the same thing if you can set it up and remember to do it on each shot. If you use manual make sure to set the white balance to "direct sun" if you have a lot of natural light from windows. If you are in a room with no windows use incandescent or whatever is appropiate for the lighting.

Second because of the way the scene is lighted you should have been exposing at around 1/90. Looks like you exposed at about 1/250 or higher. The camera probably metered the windows and set an exposure based on this which will make the interior come out too dark. Spot meter the walls or a midtone area where the light is not too bright or too dark. 

If you take a longer exposure or open the aperture up to F5 ish and you might find the exposre difference is much less. You would be making the overall frames much lighter or more exposed. This tends to lessen the exposure differences but they may stll be there but much less. This would make it possible to fix in photoshop without loosing quality in the shadows. The shadows contain much less detail than highlights.

Shoot for highligts and darken if necessary in photoshop. This way you can preserve more detail overall.

Also you might notice each of the 4 frames are nearly cetered on each window. Looking at your example imagine if the seams came across the windows therby splitting the light across 2 frames. This will help tremendously in minimizing these problems. In the future consider your seam placement in situations with multiple windows. Try starting the first shot in such a way that you move towards the windows then around to the shadow areas. Try not to point the lend directly at a window to start with.

General Lee

Message posted by zxcvbnm on October-21-2006 at 5:36am
View zxcvbnm's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by zxcvbnm Search   Quote zxcvbnm Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
zxcvbnm
Gold Member
Gold Member

September-16-2005
156 Posts
Also you know you can remove not just the lens cap but the entire ring/hood that it clips onto? It looks awfully like you left it on for this shot which is why you have such small circles and don't reach the ceiling or floor or have that much overlap.

Message posted by klafe on October-21-2006 at 9:38am
View klafe's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by klafe Search   Quote klafe Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
klafe
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-05-2006
51 Posts

First, thank you for taking the time to help.  I listened to both of you and here is what I came up with.  Please tell me if I am on the right path.  http://www.soscorporate.com/two.jpg .  This was done as instructed but the sun is pouring through the windows; unlike yesterday's sample when it was raining.  Any further suggestions would be appreciated.  Also, this is a view that I am often asked to take and I am wondering if there are any tricks to this.  The yard will be fine (after a little photoshop) but the house is dark (obviously because of the time of day but often this time is my only opportunity).  http://www.soscorporate.com/three.jpg .   

Message posted by Gen. Lee on October-22-2006 at 7:21pm
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

The first one is a great improvement. I think it defintily helped to get the right expoure on the highlight side. Now the problem is the white balcance issue due to the mixed lighting. There is plenty of natural light so I am not sure why the ceiling had banding. Normally with a scene like this..ie lots of windows with lots of light the overall natural light should mask the banding a lot more. It could be the light on the ceiling. Sometimes when you get right under a light like that it effects the white balance. So consider putting light fixtures like that more away from the camera or simply turn that light off.

The back yard shot is simply a dynamic range issue. The sun was very low and casting shadows. You camera cant capture that amount of dynamic range. However if you shot this with bracketing and merged to HDR in photoshop or photomatix the scene would come out much better. If this is the only time of day you can shoot then your screwed. Otherwise make sure to time these shots at noon so the sun is strait up or so that the sun is shining into the shadow areas. This way you get good details in the shadow areas and mabey a little over exposure in the sky but overall the image should be fine.

Or you can try to block the suns iris with a power pole, tree or part of the house. This will definitly help.

Consider using a histogram overlay on your preview. You can see how the exposre is that way. You want most of the pixels to be humped in the center and not way left or right. Way left is an under exposure and way right is an over exposure.

General Lee

Message posted by klafe on October-26-2006 at 12:46pm
klafe
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-05-2006
51 Posts
A huge thank you to General Lee and zxcvbnm.  I really appreciate all your help.  Here is my first published tour and I would like some input please. www.soscorporate.com/tours/04/0416/0416.htm  The one concern that I have is that although the images flow smoothly on my systems, I noticed a jerking motion on my laptop and a friend got the same thing with her Dell then the tour stopped.  I never had this problem when I used images from the 0-360.  Could it be a size issue.  I have browsed the forum and found varying opinions one what should be used.  My images are 4000X2000 and range in size from 530kb - 730kb.  Are they too large?

Message posted by 360texas on October-26-2006 at 4:05pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

From where I sit.. only took 8 seconds for full download.  Most folks leave the site after not seeing anything in 18.0 seconds.

I did that too when I first got my Sigma 8 f4.  But I only did it 1 time. Yes by removing the lens cap and ring.. you will see more vertical view. 

Looks good from here.

xpro, 3mbps aDSL.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by klafe on October-26-2006 at 5:38pm
klafe
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-05-2006
51 Posts
Dave:  Based on your reply, are the file sizes good and you did not get any stalling or a jerking motion? 

Message posted by smooth on October-27-2006 at 12:50am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Tour does not load with Internet Explorer 7.0 this will be a major problem as I.E 70 is now officially released.

No way should you be using 4000x2000 images in a Tourweaver tour. The correct image size is 2 1/2 time the viewer window height.

Regards, Smooth

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register