Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Java - Help with response to client Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by klafe on January-16-2007 at 10:25pm
View klafe's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by klafe Search   Quote klafe Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
klafe
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-05-2006
51 Posts

I know that there has been several topics regarding java vs. quicktime.  Presently, I use java for all of my tours.  My client expressed a concern that I am hesitant to answer...because honestly, I don't know how.  I previously read in the forum that Windows has a version of java installed so I always thought that it was more user friendly then Quicktime; which requires a download.  I also like the ease of use as far as the auto rotating in java.  Here is the email that I got from him.  Your thoughts on the subject (and a possible response) would be greatly appreciated: 

The trouble is that since SUN/Microsoft decided to not agree, Microsoft no longer(for the past couple of years) does not natively support JAVA applets.  Consequently, all our viewers with newer browsers (windows xp and above) will be required to download the JAVA engine from SUN in order to view these tours.  Since the covers over 90% of our viewers its not realistic to think that these tours will be view too often.  Especially since our viewers are not too computer savvy.

Message posted by smooth on January-17-2007 at 1:38am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

While it is true Microsoft and Sun Micro have had there differences it is also true that 90% of all computers still have Java installed. If you don't have Microsoft JVM installed you can still download and install it. Alternatively you can download and install Sun Java. Both are easy to do and really don't require any skill. Writing plain English instructions might help also.

If you are catering to PC users predominately I would offer this advise. Output your movies as Quicktime and then use www.devalvr.com plug-in 200kb to display them. If Devalvr is not installed a friendly link explains how to get it and install it. You can even use their detectvr script to sniff for Quicktime, Java or Flash. So whatever is installed on the viewers computer will be used to display the panorama. Now Devalvr doesn't work on Mac's but as Quicktime is apple format it takes over.

Back to Java, 90+% of all Banks (online banking) use Java so it is HIGHLY unlikely that you come across a computer without Java installed. It also should be noted Sun Java is the most current and up to date Java platform and is the one to use.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by 360texas on January-17-2007 at 4:02pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Sun Java came on our new notebook (Toshiba U205-S5044 12"screen) abeit it was Sun version 1.5.0.   Straight out of the box we found:

Java panoramas functioned properly.

QTVR panoramas work well.

Flash panoramas did NOT work.  All I saw was a white box using Flash version 7... which popped up a browser plug UPdate notice which took me to the Adobe Flash plugin update page.  They are now viewable with Flash version 9.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by Thatone1785 on January-18-2007 at 3:27am
View Thatone1785's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Thatone1785 Search   Visit Thatone1785's Homepage www   Quote Thatone1785 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Thatone1785
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
June-10-2006
154 Posts
I have purchase 4 new computers or laptops in the past year and I have to install Flash on 3 of them and Java only on 1 computer - All Windows XP for the OS. The one thing I do not like about the java applet is that when java is not present it will just display a little x instead of prompting the viewer to download java.
Our solution - We are now making an additional page for each tour - The new tour link is a link to a page that will instantly detect whether the user has java or not - If they do, they are forward to the virtual tour (and they never know that this check even took place) and if they do not have java the go to a friendly page that explains the benefits of installing java and the instruction for getting java and java.com.
We serve many real estate agents and this seems to take care of any technology objections that we have encountered.

So, How do you do this? Just go to google.com and search for "auto detect java and redirect" and you can find all the code and info you need... If you aren't a web developer, hire someone to write the code for you - It shouldn't cost much!

Hope this helps!

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register