Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Agnos ringT8S installation help please Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by eagle on January-17-2007 at 8:39pm
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts
Just got the Kit4 mRotatorTCPs ringT8S.

I didn't come with a manual.   Went online to the agnos site but didn't find one there either.

The bag that contains the rotator says the you need to remove the surplus oil. I don't see any surplus oil. Does that mean disassemble and remove any extra evidence of oil.

Also, there is a bag parts for the ringT and the rotator .... are these spare parts?

Would appreciate any wisdom from fellow owners on how to install this. I have a sigma 8mm f/3.5 lens on a D70s.

Thanks,
eagle

Message posted by smooth on January-18-2007 at 12:06am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Eagle,

Wipe up excess oil so you don't get it on your lens. You do NOT disassemble (you would void your warranty).

In the RingT bag you should have all the bolts and a thumb screw (that can be used instead of a normal HEX bolt) designed for a quick removal of the lens. If you are planing on leaving the lens it than it is not required.

If there is other parts I need a photo to see what they are. You simple position the lens so that the Gold Ring is directly over the centerline of the tripod and tripod thread. Tilting the camera 90 degrees down and looking through the view finder will allow you to align the "purpose" drilled centerline hole. Using the camera illuminating center focus point will ensure correct positioning. 

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by eagle on January-18-2007 at 12:15am
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts
Thanks smooth.

Most of the parts appear to be replacement screws, bolts, thumbscrews, etc for the ringT and for the rotator. Nice of Agnos to provide them.

There is also a protecting gasket just like the one on my mRotatorA to serve as a buffer between the head and the tripod.

r,
eagle

Message posted by 360texas on January-18-2007 at 10:02am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts
We found that trying to disassemble the foot the screws were over tightened during manufacturing.  In a few instances, we stripped the allen screw and had to remove the screw with an electric drill.  I am pleased that Agno's has provided replacement screws.  The large thumb screw is nice to have specially when you are wearing gloves during a winter panorama shoot. 

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by smooth on January-18-2007 at 10:57pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

The quality of the Allen (HEX) bolts is first class, But the quality of the Allen Key tool is very average. (still it is supplied free) Buying a quality set of Allen Keys like Unbrako is a good idea.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by 360texas on January-22-2007 at 8:56am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

The Allen Wrench that Agno's supplied us was ok and did not strip.  The HEX screws were over tightened before we got the products.  And this is a good thing as you don't want your pan head coming apart on you during a photo shoot.  Then you have to go running to find that specific Allen wrench to fix it. 

On ours the small screw allen HEX hole stripped on about 60% of the products we reviewed.  As a result we had to use an 'E-ZOut' to remove them.  These Allen screws are metric standard and may be purchased in most major hardware store.

Agnos is aware of the issue and may have taken work flow steps to eliminate this issue on the newer products.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by eagle on January-22-2007 at 4:47pm
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts
Hi,

Maybe I'm installing the ringT wrong.

When I have to remove the sigma lens, the foot of the ringT hits the side of the Nikon D70s. Not enough clearance there to clear the right hand side of the front of the camera.

I want to leave the ringT there so I can easily and quickly switch from the fisheye to a Nikkor lens for stills.

Is there a trick to installing the ringT. I have it as far back as I can install it to the back of the lens. The ring clasps the stationary back part (not the focus ring) of the lens. The back part of the ringT where the top bubble is located is actually pressed against the top of the camera where the flash sits.

Any help would be appreciated because I don't want to have to install/remove/reinstall the ringT every time I switch lenses.

That's actually why I bought it because the site says you can leave it on the lens.

r,
eagle

Message posted by smooth on January-22-2007 at 11:59pm
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Here are some photo's of a correctly fitted "Nikon mount" Sigma F/4.0 8mm Fisheye in an Agnos RingT. Similar position with the Sigma F/3.5 I would suggest.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by eagle on January-23-2007 at 12:41am
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts
Thanks smooth!

Looking at the pictures you have, the ring is actually clamped on the focus ring. Is that correct?

I tried that and it seems to work. Lens removal with the ringT is fine but with install/reinstall of the lens with the ringT, I still have to nudge it a bit still since the footplate touches the side of the camera body.

Below are a couple of pictures of the setup (sorry... blurry ... using very old point and shoot digital with the focus that has gone south a long time ago).

It appears that the f/4 looks a bit different from the f/3.5. Notice that the scale isn't even visible on the f/3.5 with the ring on top of the focus ring. Below is what the lens looks like.

Any additional comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
eagle

Message posted by smooth on January-23-2007 at 1:42am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Eagle,

It is not really relevant what the differences are between the two. The simple fact is the "Gold Ring" must be 100% X & Y centered over the centerline of the tripod.

The focus ring should be clamped so it doesn't turn (But only after you "tape" it on "true" infinity and switch the lens to "manual" focus). Auto focus is not possible with the RingT and really because the Sigma 8mm is such a great lens it pretty much is always in focus anyway.

As I don't have a Nikon mount Sigma 8mm I cannot give you exact positioning. The images above were supplied to me long ago by Agnos.

Get the "Gold Ring" over the tripod centerline and your in business. (Simple as that!)

Regards, Smooth

P.S: Your lower image is that of a Canon mount Sigma 8mm.

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register