Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Image quality problem - Coolpix 995 Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by scotgold on February-09-2007 at 6:01pm
View scotgold's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by scotgold Search   Quote scotgold Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
scotgold
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
February-09-2007
6 Posts

I'm very new to VR photography and am on a steep learing curve. When viewing VR 360 sperical panoramas that others have posted on the net, I am impressed with the very high image quality. My own are far less impressive and seem grainy.

I use the Hi setting on my Coolpix 995 (very slow) and have set the Panoweaver output to highest user setting. AE lock is on with largest possible aperture and I have a robust tripod. Best results in terms of stiching are from the 3 shot F1 lens setting and Nikon F8 fisheye but images are still low quality. I can post an image if this helps to illustrate my point.

Any suggestions?

Chris

-------------
Nikon Coolpix 995
Nikon FC-E8 Fisheye
Agnos MrotatorA
Panoweaver 3 (& 4 trial)

Message posted by vilmer on February-09-2007 at 9:10pm
View vilmer's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by vilmer Search   Visit vilmer's Homepage www   Quote vilmer Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
vilmer
Gold Member
Gold Member

April-08-2006
218 Posts
Hello, Chris.
Most people here use DSLR camera's, which explains a lot of the difference in quality.
However, with a bit of photoshop skills you should be able to get some real-estate worthy quality. For example, I made a shoot a few months ago with the same setup as you, only I used a 3.1 megapixel coolpix 885. I shot in 2nd best mode, because I didn't have enough room left on my CF card for the tiff quality
See the results, after photoshopping:

(Scaled down to 1500x750 around 250 KB, except the original of the living which is untouched, just slightly jpg-compressed:10 on a scale of 12, 2856x1428, 880 KB )

balcony
living
kitchen
bath/bedroom
bathroom
bedroom
original of the living

The plugins I used in photoshop are:
PictureCode Noise Ninja (against the grainy colours)
Ultra Sharpen Pro (To sharpen the pics)
Web Presenter Pro (To scale the pictures down, it preserves the quality and sharpness as good as possible)

Why don't you post a stitched image, so we can play with it?

Regards,
Vilmer

Message posted by scotgold on February-10-2007 at 10:53am
View scotgold's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by scotgold Search   Quote scotgold Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
scotgold
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
February-09-2007
6 Posts

Many thanks for your comments and excellent examples Vilmer,

I really wish that  could get anywhere near the image quality you have achieved. Did you use F1 fisheye setting? I shall upload some images to see what you think.

Kind regards

Chris

-------------
Nikon Coolpix 995
Nikon FC-E8 Fisheye
Agnos MrotatorA
Panoweaver 3 (& 4 trial)

Message posted by vilmer on February-10-2007 at 11:28am
View vilmer's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by vilmer Search   Visit vilmer's Homepage www   Quote vilmer Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
vilmer
Gold Member
Gold Member

April-08-2006
218 Posts
You're welcome Chris.
If you are going to upload some images, also upload the settings u used. Your camera can generate a .TXT file for you with the settings used. (I guess the menu of the cp995 and 885 are the same)
Go to 'setup' and in the 2nd screen hit Pic Data/Transfer->info.txt. The generated text should look simular to this:

DSCN2250.TIF
CAMERA       : E885V1.0
METERING     : CENTER
MODE        : M
SHUTTER      : 1/2sec
APERTURE     : F7.4
EXP +/-      : 0.0
FOCAL LENGTH : f7.5mm(X1.0)
IMG ADJUST   : STANDARD
SENSITIVITY : ISO100
WHITEBAL     : SUNNY
SHARPNESS    : OFF
DATE        : 00.00.0000 00:00
QUALITY      : FULL HI

And yes, I used F1 setting.

Regards,
Vilmer

Message posted by scotgold on February-10-2007 at 11:44am
scotgold
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
February-09-2007
6 Posts

living

Example with 2 spherical images, locked AE, F1, Hi quality. Reduced to 800 pixels across using Corel Photopaint.

-------------
Nikon Coolpix 995
Nikon FC-E8 Fisheye
Agnos MrotatorA
Panoweaver 3 (& 4 trial)

Message posted by vilmer on February-10-2007 at 1:34pm
vilmer
Gold Member
Gold Member

April-08-2006
218 Posts
Is that the actual colour of the ceiling? (pink?) Or should it be more white/yellow? Like this?

Message posted by scotgold on February-10-2007 at 1:53pm
scotgold
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
February-09-2007
6 Posts

The room is in a light pink. Colour match is good. Big problem is the graininess and lack of sharp image quality.

Still working on getting print-out of camera settings.

Chris

-------------
Nikon Coolpix 995
Nikon FC-E8 Fisheye
Agnos MrotatorA
Panoweaver 3 (& 4 trial)

Message posted by scotgold on February-17-2007 at 11:52am
scotgold
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
February-09-2007
6 Posts

... I've just bought 3Dvista Stitcher. Much cheaper and overall better than Panoweaver. Has a far better GUI.

Chris

-------------
Nikon Coolpix 995
Nikon FC-E8 Fisheye
Agnos MrotatorA
Panoweaver 3 (& 4 trial)

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register