Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Hand held panoramas Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Wide-Eyes on May-26-2007 at 2:03pm
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi guys.

Do any of you have any experience producing panoramas without a tripod and rotator??

I have to learn to produce hand held panoramas as I got the opportunity to get a job for a newspaper. I wuold love a few pointers on the workflow, so if any of you have any experience with this I would love some feedback.

My set up is a canon 5d and sigma 8mm. I am considering doing 3 or 4 shots.

How do you guys think it should be done??

I would appreciate any advice you might be able to give me.

Best regards

Morten

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen
- a newbie trying to improve

Message posted by 360texas on May-27-2007 at 10:51am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

ANYONE can take hand held 3 or 4 fisheye images.  Thats not the issue.   5d is ok because the full Sigma 8mm circle image fits nicely inside the camera sensor.

Parallax issues and sitching the images will be your challenge.

You might try using a monopod.  AND before you do any real serious panoramas [read for the newspaper project].  Suggest you just go out and try taking and processing at least 10 -15 panoramas.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on May-28-2007 at 11:22am
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

hi Dave

yes I know it is not hard to take the images. The challenge comes when I have to stitch the panoramas.

That is why I would love some advice on how to position my self and the camera when taking the 3 or 4 pictures needed for a panorama. A little guidance will hopefully speed up my learning curve and help with the post production like stitching etc.

any advice to this is still highly appreciated :o)

Best regards

Morten

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by 360texas on May-28-2007 at 12:10pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts
If you can't use a tripod/head.  Then next best is a mono-pod.  And yes we are serious.  Stitching them will be far easier than ones taken by hand.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on May-30-2007 at 3:28am
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi Dave

I got this advice on an other forum that might also work pretty well:

You can use a bubble level in the cameras hot shoe. Very practical.
And then put your right foot slightly forward, have the nodal point of lens over your toe, and rotate around that. I think it was Hans Nyberg who thought of that.

I use a similar technique but use a normal tripod ( without attaching the camera to it ) to keep track of where the nodal point should be.

Example pano ..
www.pellepiano.com/qtvr/peleng/gl_karusell.html

Unfortunately the dealer have just informed me that the sigma lense won't be in stock untill next week, so I wont be able test it yet. But it is definately something I will experiment with.

BEst regards

Morten 

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by Alexandre on June-18-2007 at 4:20am
View Alexandre's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Alexandre Search   Quote Alexandre Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Alexandre
Gold Member
Gold Member

June-05-2006
148 Posts

I have tried few times to take the picture by hand for the nadir, but I think it's really too much for to start, and the few tutorials I found on the internet were not really helpful (like the tutorials on nodalninja.com).

If anyone has a hint to help me solve this problem, please email me on agagnaire@gmail.com, I rarely come to the forum and the email notify feature does not work.

Alexandre

-------------
Alexandre G.
MSN: agagnaire@chablinet.com
Nikon D50 - Nikkor 10.5mm - NN3 - Manfrotto055CLB - Panoweaver 4.0 - Tourweaver 2.0

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register