Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: let's talk about money... Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by lapinkulta on September-10-2003 at 12:36am
View lapinkulta's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by lapinkulta Search   Quote lapinkulta Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
lapinkulta
Standard Member
Standard Member
Austria
August-10-2003
35 Posts

Hi there,

Thinking businesswise, I would like to know how much you take for a pano and what "goodies" you include and what you offer as an extra. Maybe we can get a nice worldwide pricerange.

Greetings,

Gerwin

Message posted by 360texas on September-10-2003 at 3:22am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

I did a survey last December 2002

http://360texas.com/services/worldprice.htm

This survey was based on the individual website published pricing pages.   Often the published price is not what is actually agreed upon contract price.  It just depends on the client criteria.

Hope that helps

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by chadweston on September-11-2003 at 4:07pm
View chadweston's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by chadweston Search   Quote chadweston Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
chadweston
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
November-02-2002
37 Posts

I have seen some quite unbelievably low prices given for virtual tours. I would advise all parties interested in providing panoramics commercially to not try to obtain business by getting into price wars and trying to undercut competitors rates. If a panoramic or virtual tour is prepared and presented to a high quality it has a significant commercial rate which  businesses are prepared to pay.

It should be noted to make a profit from working in this medium costs for imagery have to cover all other expenses and downtime, e.g. travel costs, unsuiatable shooting conditions, re-shoots due to error, as well as non-earning time (obtaining new work etc.)

It is best to create a name for yourself as a supplier of high quality imagery than somebody who is 'cheap'

In a nutshell....."If you think you are a monkey, ask for peanuts"

Alternatively, DONT !!

-------------
Welcome to my world

Message posted by phoenixrising on September-12-2003 at 4:19pm
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts
I agree with the monkey theory...

I did my first few pano's at a low rate of around $100 per shot. I since then found a sliding scale for a standard shoot with a set up fee of $189 which includes the web data, email/cd data versions + all links and genertaed tifs as well as the first pano. I'll charge approx $110-135 per pano thereafter and go down to $85 after the seventh shot. ( I also have a realestate 5 pano + 10 2d pics package priced at $235 due to the repeat business element) These prices are all just guidelines and can double...triple...and more... all depending on the time/effort/quality element required.

This is on the cheaper side in Germany... though I have little competition and know that a number of collegues do work for significantly more.

However this is only the basic package... I mean u get loads of links incl. 2d pics... email, url's, map and even scripted movement. Though I'll only offer this in Java. I do do quicktime work as well... this is however at least twice as expensive as I offer larger tiff files (for print) as well as full screen high data .movs and because I have to do multple exposure rows and have therefore more work.

Do note that I live in a rural area and that my clients are small to medium business's with limited budgets.... therefore my statement that I'm on the cheaper side in Germany. Most of my compatriats seem to be city dwellers ... ie have a different client base that may be willing to pay more. Also most of the players over here are not a couple of kids who've picked up on this idea and are selling bad quality work at bad quality prices. Most seem to be pro photographers or programers who do this thing as an add on.

Most of the guys I know have very high standards and produce good quality work for a fair... albeit if compared to the US high price.

I therefore advise u all to tell ur customer to get stuffed if he's doing the cheap shift on u... u should if anything get in touch with ur competition and agree minimum pricing levels so as to ensure a fair rate of pay.

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by yowsiang on September-12-2003 at 5:12pm
View yowsiang's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by yowsiang Search   Quote yowsiang Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
yowsiang
Standard Member
Standard Member

October-08-2002
58 Posts
I think one major problem with Virtual Tour services is its unlike still images, whereby it can be used widely by clients both in prints, internet and other medias whearas 360VT strictly to be used for internet only and thereby leading to much lower demand but lower demand and therefore prices sometimes are forced to be much lower... unless we could make 360VT to be used on a wider media... if not i am afraid 360VT will soon fade away in the market...

Message posted by chadweston on September-25-2003 at 10:44am
View chadweston's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by chadweston Search   Quote chadweston Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
chadweston
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
November-02-2002
37 Posts

"the one major problem with Virtual Tour services is it is unlike still images"

pardon my impertinence but from your opening words i would like to force feed them back to you.

virtual tours are completely unlike still images, they provide a far more realistic intimate, believable interpretation of a location. from this forum alone you can visit the world.

as far as 360vt being only used on the internet, i distribute most of my vt's at high res, on cd,
they could be viewed on pc, mac, laptops, palmtops, kiosks, the future will see them being used on mobile phones and other wireless screen media, touch-screens of estate agents, etc etc.

as far as paper advertising that is already changing, billboards are no longer paperboards but electronic screens, take a look at a football stadium billboards for example, infact HELLO TOKYO, find me a paper billboard there,

i am afraid you are talking about 'pulp fiction'

p.s. no offence, just my humble opinion

-------------
Welcome to my world

Message posted by yowsiang on September-25-2003 at 10:54am
View yowsiang's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by yowsiang Search   Quote yowsiang Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
yowsiang
Standard Member
Standard Member

October-08-2002
58 Posts

No offence at all, infact i would very much want to bring your views to my clients.

I love doing VTs but guess i am really weak at how to market it. Much to learn learn from you.

Ifs ok, do share with me on how do you market VTs as a business.

ys

Message posted by chadweston on September-25-2003 at 11:11am
chadweston
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
November-02-2002
37 Posts

i have found that most people if they have not seen vt's b4 have an instant 'WOW' reaction to the technology which generally helps to get a proposal of to a good start.
Also, if you are obtaining new business then it pays to carry out some pano's in that sector beforehand. If you are approaching a golfclub, then shots from the 18th will have more of an effect than the beach at marbella. it pays to even do some demo shots for the client if the contract warrents.
-this tends to work in the same way that you may like to try on a suit and look at yourself in the mirror before purchasing.ie, seeing you, your propery look good is very convincing,

i then tend to develop their enthusiasm using what i call the 'supersizing your fries' technique, whereby not only do they get pano's, vt's etc but that an email marketing campaign can be implemented, cd-brochures can be prepared, all at a smaller cost than the initial outlay, ....."so in effect.....why buy small fries"

the technology has a lot to offer many sectors of business, good luck

chad

-------------
Welcome to my world

Message posted by 360texas on September-25-2003 at 9:48pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Hmmm it all has to do with the local marketing economy. 

In downtown New York City with a rather high cost of living, selling panorama and associated content will bring a higher product price. Panoramas might go for $1,500 for 4 or $375 each.

In the Southern US where the cost of living is relatively low [compared to NYC] VR content well be comparably lower. Panoramas might go for $100 for 2 or $50 each.

Competition density in your area also has dictates price. Lots of VR folks in your area?  It will have a leveling affect on market pricing.

We work in North Central Texas and I just finished our 3rd quarter accounting yesterday.  Total Gross project receipts, minus taxes and expenses resulted a historical yield of $79.09/ price per panorama.

Sometimes I guage the local economy using two factors.  The cost of a gallon of milk and a gallon of gasoline [petrol].  Milk runs $2.19/gallon and current gasoline is $1.39/gallon.  Locate "your"  milk and gasoline pricing and do a cost-ratio evaluation and get a % difference.  Apply the % value to the $80/per pano to get a 'starting' point for your area. Of course there are alot of other factors that might need to be applied here.. but this is an interesting approach to pricing if your just getting started.  If you live in Switzerland you might have to apply a 100+% to the above per panorama price.

You must recover your expenses and pay your self a fair wage.  Profit is the amount left over after all the bills have been paid.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by Neill W on September-26-2003 at 12:34am
View Neill W's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Neill W Search   Visit Neill W's Homepage www   Quote Neill W Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Neill W
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
July-17-2003
63 Posts

One of the problems I've noticed is that some companies offering VR are not from a photographic background and definately not from a sales background. Many are web design or IT company employees seeking a secong income. They have little photographic experience and rely on the novelty value of VR to sell for as little as ?0 GB each! Not because they feel that is the market price, but because they don't actually price the job effectively. ?0 is about $42 or  Euros.....

Neill W

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register