Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Canon 17-40mm and panoramas - how? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Wide-Eyes on August-23-2007 at 3:24am
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

I just recieved a phone call from an other photographer who asked me if I could help him with an assignment. He want to take the shots for a panorama with his canon camera and a 17-40mm lense. He wants me to stitch them and publish them as panoramas.
He is only interested in the horisontal view, and do not care about looking up and down.
I tried to advice him that he should let a professional panorama photographer do it, but he want to do it him self. Normally I would say no, but he is interested in 50-100 panoramas, so it is a big assignment and a good opportunity to make a little money.

Now I have to advice him how to approach the job. He does not have a rotator - just a normal tripod. Is it possible for him to shoot the pictures I can turn in to a panorama? If so how many pictures should he take?? Will I be able to stitch with panoweaver? Or should they just be assembled in PS?

Please any advice will be highly appreciated.
Best regards
Morten

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen
- a newbie trying to improve

Message posted by 360texas on August-23-2007 at 4:46pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Hi Morton,  You did not mention which Canon camera - so I will assume he his not using the full sensor sized 5d.  I hope he is only wanting to take OUTSIDE panoramas.  Since he does not have a pan head probably means he will put the camera on a pan-tilt head on his tripod in Landscape orientation.

Means that the crop factor is probably 1.6  and his 17-40mm really is same as 27 - 64mm.

Outside imaging taken at 17mm (35mm = 27mm) you would need to have at least 30% image overlap.

Panoweaver will not stitch his images because it works only with Fisheye lens images.  You will need to use alternate stitching software.

You might consider using photoshop | automate | Photomerge.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on August-24-2007 at 3:18am
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi Dave

No that is one of the rediculous to. He want shoot small cottages. Once again I have adviced him that he should let a panorama photographer do it. But he insist. Hopefully I can get him to buy a panohead if he gets the job.

At the panoguide forum someone said that he would propably need to tage 10-12 images for one panorama.

I have given him a price where I estimate that Ill be using  1- 1 1/2 hours stitching every panorama. I hope that is enough.

Best regards

Morten

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by 360texas on August-25-2007 at 10:15am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Well,  one way is to just show him.  Using a real pan head, camera and 17-40mm lens set at 17mm,  set up in a small room space. Say 3m x 3m.  Then let him look through the view finder.  At 17mm the bottom of the image will be at least 8ft or 3 meters from the tripod center.  Meaning you need to be using a VERY wide angle lens taken with camera in PORTRAIT orientation.  With camera in landscape the vertical field of view will be VERY short.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by Thatone1785 on August-26-2007 at 12:14am
View Thatone1785's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Thatone1785 Search   Visit Thatone1785's Homepage www   Quote Thatone1785 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Thatone1785
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
June-10-2006
154 Posts
I used to make cylindrical panos with a similar setup - You will do best with a rotator with 12 stops - correct NPP is essential

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on August-28-2007 at 7:25am
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi Thatone

Yes I also realize that it is a challeging job. I have also explined this to the photographer. Now I just hope that he understand it. And that he gets the job - and send the stitchin on to me :)

Best regards

Morten

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by tracievh on August-28-2007 at 5:06pm
View tracievh's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by tracievh Search   Quote tracievh Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
tracievh
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
August-28-2007
1 Posts

I have the 5D and 17-40 lens...do I still need a fisheye lens for pano's?

Thanks in advance.

Tracie

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register