Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: What web design skills Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by DexterWalker on September-23-2007 at 7:13am
View DexterWalker's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by DexterWalker Search   Quote DexterWalker Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
DexterWalker
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-05-2007
23 Posts
I am a qualified and experienced photography so i'm fine with shooting pano and using software to edit it etc but when it comes to putting the pano on a website and where to host it etc i am lost. What web design skills do i need to offer a virtual tour service? where would i host them, on my own web page? how does that work?

Apologies for my ignorance.

Message posted by smooth on September-23-2007 at 9:08am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

You need a basic understanding of HTML and you need some server space to host your files along with a FTP program to be able to upload your files.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on September-24-2007 at 4:12am
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi Dexter

When I started doing panoramas, I knew nothing about html programming. And honestly it was not crusial.

TW gives you all the files needed that you can just deliver to the client. IT also contains instructions on how to upload the files. Most of my clients have suffecient knowledge to up load the files them self.

But it is granted that some basic knowledge is usefull. For instance if the client have any questions, or if you want to build your own web page to present your work.

I bought Dreamweaver 8, and went through all the tutorials - that got me started. I the tried to design a web page my self and looked at the codes it generated. I am still a novice in html programming. It is a whole new language you have to learn, but I think you can figure out the most important basics by some simple tutorials, and then let professionals help you with the rest.

Best regards

Morten

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen
- a newbie trying to improve

Message posted by 360texas on September-25-2007 at 8:01pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

I agree that some html knowledge is needed in order to display your work in a demo page.. if nothing else.

BIG focus should be on getting the imaging correct.

You can know all the HTML in the world.. if you take terrible imaging.. it won't help

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by DexterWalker on October-01-2007 at 5:44pm
View DexterWalker's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by DexterWalker Search   Quote DexterWalker Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
DexterWalker
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-05-2007
23 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by Wide-Eyes on September-24-2007

Hi Dexter

When I started doing panoramas, I knew nothing about html programming. And honestly it was not crusial.

TW gives you all the files needed that you can just deliver to the client. IT also contains instructions on how to upload the files. Most of my clients have suffecient knowledge to up load the files them self.

But it is granted that some basic knowledge is usefull. For instance if the client have any questions, or if you want to build your own web page to present your work.

I bought Dreamweaver 8, and went through all the tutorials - that got me started. I the tried to design a web page my self and looked at the codes it generated. I am still a novice in html programming. It is a whole new language you have to learn, but I think you can figure out the most important basics by some simple tutorials, and then let professionals help you with the rest.

Best regards

Morten

Thanks Wide-Eyes (and others) for the help.

At the moment i use a shareware HTML page editor - i can just about get by on it. Just need more time to practice on it.

Think i could just about put the tour on the page. Much more than that i'm not sure but you've given me some reassurance.

Was just wondering how it works with the hosting. Say i made a tour for someone and hosted it on their behalf, and then i change who my server is hosted with - they'd lose their tour right? Surely it would be better if they hosted the tour on their server if possible?

Message posted by 360texas on October-01-2007 at 7:47pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Few things you need to remember:

Domain Name = website name (http://www.360Texas.com) Usually you buy a domain name for a period of time like 1 year or up to 10 years.

Hosting Service
= A company who maintains your Domain Name and provides your website server space.  Like 250 Megabyte of physical hard drive space.  Usually you buy ISP service for a period of time like 1,2,3,4,5 years.

Bandwidth:
 = the volume of internet browsing people looking at your website.  If you have 100 panoramas and each panorama is 1 mb.  One visitor might download and look at all your 100 panorama's and your Bandwidth meter will show your bandwidth consumption is 100 mb.  Kind of like your monthly water bill.  Bandwidth is usually measured for a month, and then starts over again at the beginning of the month.  Some hosting companies have unlimited bandwidth,  other have 250 GIGabyte limits.  What happens if you go over your monthly limit?  You are usually charged a segment volume charge like in blocks of 100mb over.

Changing hosting Internet Service Provders usually only involves selecting another ISP then relocating your existing Domain Name to the new company.  The Domain Name gets moved to the new company after a couple of days.  During the transfer your webiste will be down.. and you client or anyone else won't be able to see your website domain name.  Whats going on during the transfer?  Usually website domain name is being re-registered called propagated or copied to the several world wide domain name servers.

BUT if you operate a business, these expenses are usually prorated distributed expenses you recover through charges to your client.  IF you do not charge your client,  then these fixed expenses are "a cost of doing business" and may be accounted for on your annual federal business income tax.  If you charge your clients for hosting their content.. that is income revenue.   For which you then must also declare your hositing and domain name as expenses on your income tax.

I am not a tax accountant or lawyer, but in 3 short months we celebrate 10 years in this virtural tour business http://360texas.com  

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register