Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Problem w/ nadir/zenith stitching Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by dougeefresh on February-05-2008 at 4:16pm
View dougeefresh's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by dougeefresh Search   Quote dougeefresh Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
dougeefresh
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
January-14-2008
23 Posts
I am taking 6 shots with Nikkor 10.5 in portrait mode. For nadir and zenith, I rotate 90 degree up and down (all using nodal ninja).
When I stitch using full frame 6 + X (6+T+B), nadir and zenith are always out of whack (and I get mismatching point error).

So, am I supposed to use 6 portraits + 2 landscape (nadir&zenith rotated in Photoshop) or 8 landscape shots? Or maybe it doesn't matter?

Message posted by 360texas on February-05-2008 at 4:33pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Are you taking the T+B shots on the 6th click stop position ?

As Smooth says :

• Nikkor 10.5mm on the sixth and final shot position

• -------------
    /s/
    Dave
    Forum Moderator for
    EasyPano - Panoweaver
    Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by dougeefresh on February-05-2008 at 4:45pm
    View dougeefresh's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by dougeefresh Search   Quote dougeefresh Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
    dougeefresh
    Standard Member
    Standard Member
    United States
    January-14-2008
    23 Posts
    Yes, I am. I get a different result each time.
    It seems to work better when I take photos in raw and adjust them before I stitch them than just using jpgs right out of the camera. Panoweaver seems to get it "more right" with the processed images. Does this make sense all?

Message posted by 360texas on February-05-2008 at 6:46pm
    View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
    360texas
    Forum Moderator
    Forum Moderator
    United States
    June-12-2002
    2240 Posts

Hmm let me think on this issue.

Using a Sigma 8... I click around with 4 images and stop at the 4th click stop and then rotate the camera up to the zenith.. take a shot... then rotate down and take the down nadir image.  I am done

Take all 6 [4+2}  images into Panoweaver ..the software is able to bring all images in together.. properly.

Should be same to 6 +2

-------------
    /s/
    Dave
    Forum Moderator for
    EasyPano - Panoweaver
    Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by smooth on February-05-2008 at 11:32pm
    View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
    smooth
    Forum Moderator
    Forum Moderator
    Australia
    November-23-2002
    5401 Posts

Most likely the camera has been set to rotate images automatically and when shooting the Zenith and Nadir the camera is getting confused with the orientation as it relies on gravity and in the Zenith and Nadir shooting position this would be a 50/50 bet. Simply turn of any rotation values set within the camera menus.

Just to be 100% clear all images should be shot in the same portrait orientation with the Zenith and Nadir shot on the sixth and final shot position

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by jordi on February-06-2008 at 5:40am
    View jordi's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by jordi Search   Visit jordi's Homepage www   Quote jordi Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
    jordi
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    Spain
    September-21-2007
    110 Posts
    I'm also having few problems in sticthing the nadir and zenith, because pw can not find enough points ....
    Why only three ?? why it's always putting them in the worst place like the clouds or whatever is not good reference point...

Also for the nadir I like to shoot 3 times:
    -the first in the last click stop 0
    -the second in the 180
    -and the third by hand without tripod....

I was thinking I already got with the npp, but when I look at the two opposite nadir shoots made with with the tripod there's little change, and so much more with the one took by hand, so it's not easy to take out the tripod, and the panohead, because there's a paralax error....
    PW cannot handle with the 2 opposite nadir shoots to remove the panohead at least ???

Is it possible to tell PW somewhere , to find more control points ??

thanks

-------------
    visita3d.com

Message posted by 360texas on February-06-2008 at 9:25am
    360texas
    Forum Moderator
    Forum Moderator
    United States
    June-12-2002
    2240 Posts

I agree with Smooth,  I too have noticed that the camera internal sensors are trying to understand which side of the image is top  when pointing the camera down or Up.

For Canon SLR's like the 20d and 5d,  it is the menu item called 'Auto Image Rotation'.   During playback display on the LCD the portrait image will dispay the image top in the UP position. 

I also think there is a Auto Image Rotation flag recorded in the images EXIF header area.  Because when I take nadir/ zenith images into Photoshop PSCS3 attempts to display them on the monitor in the direction IT thinks is image top UP.  Which is very annoying.  I can not tell if the portrait image is really taken properly top up... or is PShop just displaying a landscape image in the portrait direction "auto rotation"

Best turn OFF the Auto Image Rotation menu item in the camera.

-------------
    /s/
    Dave
    Forum Moderator for
    EasyPano - Panoweaver
    Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by tturner on February-06-2008 at 11:15pm
    View tturner's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by tturner Search   Quote tturner Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
    tturner
    Standard Member
    Standard Member
    United States
    March-09-2005
    67 Posts

If the zenith and nadar are plain ceilings and floors or sky and grass it is often easier to patch the holes in Photoshop.  You can also put your logo over the tripod which further reminds your guest of  your company name or brand.  There is usually not much information in the zenith or nadar area to begin with so even limiting the tilt up and down is not taking away to much from the viewer.

Good Luck
    TTurner

Message posted by Steve66 on February-08-2008 at 1:11pm
    View Steve66's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Steve66 Search   Quote Steve66 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
    Steve66
    Standard Member
    Standard Member
    United Kingdom
    February-28-2007
    39 Posts

It seems to me from my limited experience of shooting panoramas that it would be prudent to go through your respective camera settings and turn off everything that is auto!

I have had issues linked to various 'auto' settings on my camera and have now turned off all my 'auto' settings.

Regards,
    Steve

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
    If you are not already registered you must first register