Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: hdr question Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by jordi on February-06-2008 at 1:42pm
View jordi's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by jordi Search   Visit jordi's Homepage www   Quote jordi Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
jordi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Spain
September-21-2007
110 Posts
Hi,
I've been making few panos, in places with people, I was making the mistake to take 3 bracketed jpg, instead of one raw, I wanted to make HDR, but now I can see a very clear point, that is people is making ghost effect, because of they are in very near but different positions in each exposition....

Any idea to solve this,

thanks

-------------
visita3d.com

Message posted by smooth on February-06-2008 at 1:51pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

The only way you will get any form of HDR with people in the images close by is to make multiple exposures from the one set of RAW images like I did with the Snake Pit panorama. The other trick is to make 100% sure you can't tell it's HDR because if you can, it will look fake.

The only other method worth mentioning is that you could shoot the panorama with people and then shoot the panorama bracketed without people in the exact same position and using masks and alpha channel add the people into the HDR panorama scene.

I doubt this would be worth the effort though! Be 100% sure that you can even do HDR properly before trying difficult situations with moving people and objects.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by jordi on February-07-2008 at 6:37pm
View jordi's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by jordi Search   Visit jordi's Homepage www   Quote jordi Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
jordi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Spain
September-21-2007
110 Posts
Hi Smooth !!

you have post very nice and interesting pano...
for what I have understood, you have took 1 raw image from wich you have exposed 3 jpg's (or tiff's), or you have dirrectly done 3 raw ?

Did you used the telescope from agnos ?? how many pictures ??

I've already make the first attempts for hdr, and people wasn't so much problem at the end, because in my cases they appear quite far from the camera...

I was getting the hdr effect by using mask and level layers,
so now they make a fine line when I transform in a *mov, but I have recognized that fisrt i have to retouch the inside part, then cut it in the middle and make the the outside part became the inside...

Here I post the exemples :

thanks

-------------
visita3d.com

Message posted by smooth on February-07-2008 at 11:45pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hi Jordi,

Mate, I make multiple exposures from one .raw file by adjusting the exposure value I.E: 001_EV0.tif, 001_EV-2.tif, and 001_EV2.tif. I use DRI Pro and Photoshop layers to get the desired look.

Your panorama images look well composed, though I cannot see how they really look without seeing the full panorama in a viewer. Not at all what I expected to see in Fiji?

I do use the Agnos Telescopic Pole MrotatorHDelta but in the case of the Snake Pit panorama I used a Velbon Monopod sat inside a belt pod (waist+monopod) hight.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by Peanut on March-05-2008 at 8:28am
View Peanut's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Peanut Search   Quote Peanut Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Peanut
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-01-2008
46 Posts

Smooth,

I have been shooting HDR images for some time making about 5 RAW images 2 stops apart. I don't always need all 5 images and depending which 3 or 4 I select will effect the final image.  I process the images in Photomatix which is a wonderful piece of software provided one remembers to hit the default setting button before starting work on a new image. My question is, if you are shooting only one RAW image to create a HDR picture where should the exposure be placed - I assume in the middle of the light range. If however it was more important to retail highlight detail in the output photo should the original RAW image be exposed with more emphasis towards the highlights? Is it easier to recover highlight or shadow detail from a RAW image

Chris

Message posted by smooth on March-05-2008 at 9:17am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Chris,

Of course it depends on the subject but typically I would shoot the (1x) .raw file at EV-1.0 and work from there.

Here is an example of Dynamic Range Recovery from a single RAW file.

This was achieved by processing the RAW files at EV0 and EV-2 and using DRI Pro.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by realtor jerry on March-05-2008 at 12:04pm
View realtor jerry's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by realtor jerry Search   Visit realtor jerry's Homepage www   Quote realtor jerry Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts

Peanut,
I also use photomatix (version Pro2.5.4), you stated " Photomatix which is a wonderful piece of software provided one remembers to hit the default setting button before starting work on a new image". Under "view" there is a "default options" and a "default size". Could you give more information as to the "default setting button" you have referred to.
Thanks this may help explain some issues I have with the program.

-------------
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!

Message posted by Peanut on March-05-2008 at 1:54pm
View Peanut's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Peanut Search   Quote Peanut Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Peanut
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-01-2008
46 Posts

I found that Tonemapping in Photmatrix uses the last setting I used on an image.  I don't know if that is the way I have it set up but new images are Tonemapped based on the way the sliders were left after the program was shut down.  That can make processing a new image difficult.  I find it eisier before Tonemapping to hit default then start moving the sliders. Hope that helps.  It is a great program.

Chris

Message posted by realtor jerry on March-05-2008 at 1:59pm
View realtor jerry's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by realtor jerry Search   Visit realtor jerry's Homepage www   Quote realtor jerry Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts
Thanks, yes that answers my question and explains why my pictures didn't look right.

-------------
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!

Message posted by pixelator on March-05-2008 at 8:04pm
View pixelator's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by pixelator Search   Visit pixelator's Homepage www   Quote pixelator Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts
On the subject of photomatix. While working on my latest project it would continually crash. I am using photomatix pro 2.4 and running windows vista.

Just wanted to check and see if any one else was having problems?

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register