Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Hanging during stitching Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Don McIver on February-21-2008 at 2:18am
View Don McIver's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Don McIver Search   Quote Don McIver Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Don McIver
Standard Member
Standard Member
Canada
February-07-2008
8 Posts

I've been shooting bracketed JPG's and stitching works fine. From suggestions made in this forum, I've switched to RAW. Camera/lens is Lumix L10 and Zuiko 8mm fisheye. Adobe DNG converter used to convert RAW to DNG. Import of the 6 DNG images works fine but the next step of stitching is where I run into problems. Panoweaver is hanging around 40% of the way through. The progress bar dissapears and nothing happens.  If I click the 'pre-stitch' or 'stitch' again, the progress bar and window will momentarily appear. I've increased Windows paging to initial 2.3gb and max 4gb. I've have 1GB of RAM, Centrino, XP. The problem has been sent to support and they restated the steps in the manual which are quite straightforward and what I was already doing. It may be that there is something unique to my setup here but I'm not at all sure what to try next. 

Any suggestions, pc changes, workarounds that will allow me to continue shooting RAW? Thanks, Don

Message posted by smooth on February-21-2008 at 2:43am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Don,

I would first suggest you stitch a set of jpgs to make sure the program will at least do this correctly on your PC.

I'm not sure why you are converting your images from native RAW to DNG? Unless your camera outputs a file type no supported by Panoweaver?

Why not process the RAW files using ACR and save as .tif and then stitch?

Until I have more of an idea what you are actually doing and why it is hard to say. Can you supply a link to a set of images for me to test for you?

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by Don McIver on February-21-2008 at 10:37pm
View Don McIver's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Don McIver Search   Quote Don McIver Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Don McIver
Standard Member
Standard Member
Canada
February-07-2008
8 Posts

Hi Smooth,

I was shooting bracketed jpgs and they were stitching perfectly. I'm just in the process of switching to raw. 

The Lumix format is .raw but Panoweaver imports .nef .crw and .dng. I only tried Adobe dng because their converter has a nice batch process that converts all files in a directory, preserves the original and creates dng. I hope I understand this all correctly.

Support has since come up with another suggestion which is to adjust the panoramic image size to something small, say 200*100. I tried this and the stitching process worked correctly, producing the results I expected. I take this to prove that the shooting, import, format conversion etc, are all working correctly. The problem of course is the size of the panorama. I usually set it to Web Broadband, 4000*2000. This is so that quality is good on an Intranet where it'll be used fullscreen and in presentations. 200*100 is completely unuseable. I am guessing though that if the process works when the panorama is small but not when it's large, there may be a problem with pc resources?

Given that this PC is a few years old now and only 1GB, maybe the next step is to add another 1GB or find a 2GB pc to test on?

Thanks for the comments Smooth. Is there an address I could email the files to?

My Mrotator TCPs arrived today, another of your suggestion from somewhere in these forums and I'm looking forward to playing this weekend. We have snow on the mountains in Vancouver and I have the opportunity to take panoramas around skiing and mountain activities.

Regards, Don

Message posted by smooth on February-21-2008 at 11:25pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hi Don,

OK, I get what you are doing now,

Yes, I would add more RAM for sure.

I will send you a Private Message with email details and how to get the large files to me.

Congratulations on the Agnos MrotatorTCPs purchase, once set up correctly it will be a pleasure to use and last you for years and years.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by 360texas on February-22-2008 at 9:56am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

We have an aging P4 with only 1 gb ram.   Stitch 4000 x 2000 just fine and at a medium speed 3 minutes process

We shoot 4 images Canon .cr2 raw converted to 8 bit tiff's.  8 bit tifs work in Panoweaver.

However,I do not think 16bit tif will work in Panoweaver

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by Don McIver on February-22-2008 at 10:55am
Don McIver
Standard Member
Standard Member
Canada
February-07-2008
8 Posts

DNGs look suspisciously like the cause of the problem.

In PS, I saved that same set of images as TIFFs. With pano set to Web Broadband, 4000*2000, stitching worked perfectly, and on the same 1GB PC.

Thanks Smooth and Dave.

Regards, Don

Message posted by smooth on February-22-2008 at 11:21am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Don,

Sorry mate, my main PC's power supply up and carked it when I went to reboot after upping my RAM to 4GB. Bummer :O( so I haven't as yet been able to play with the image you sent me.

I'm glad you are now having success using the same images as .tif's

I raises the question as to why you would want to run RAW images through Panoweaver? I understand it if you are "trying" to do Tone mapping HDR but and this is a HUGE but! Panoweaver cannot deal with or correct the 2 major issues that you should correct via your choice of RAW converter software namely Chromatic Aberration and Vignetting. These are the MAJOR problems of the fisheye lens and without correcting these issues you might as well be stitching plain old .jpg's

Anyway, my advise is to correct the images with Adobe Camera Raw (ARC) and save as .tif and then stitch with Panoweaver.

I'm sure to look at your images as soon as I purchase a new power supply hopefully tomorrow.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by smooth on February-23-2008 at 8:39am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Don,

Mate, new power supply fitted and all RAMmed up!

I need to ask the question: What panohead are you using?

The images sent to me are nowhere near the NPP position (not even close). If Panoweaver is hanging I'm not terribly surprised. I'm still to test the .dng files but I have successfully stitched the .tif's (well successful to the point I have a panorama image) but full of alignment errors.

Happy to help if you can provide more information.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by Don McIver on February-23-2008 at 10:37am
Don McIver
Standard Member
Standard Member
Canada
February-07-2008
8 Posts

'Morning Smooth,

My new panohead arrived yesterday and those images where shot a week ago on a standard tripod. They were only taken for the purpose of proving out the raw process, which is now working for me using tif's. It's really not worth spending any time on them except maybe to prove out the dng hanging problem.

Thanks, Don

Message posted by Don McIver on February-23-2008 at 11:27am
Don McIver
Standard Member
Standard Member
Canada
February-07-2008
8 Posts

Another update. I've just added more memory to bring the pc up to 2GB. The stitching process with dng ran through to completion and according to task manager, used up to 590k. No wonder the extra GB was required. This gives me a couple of choices now and in the end I'll probably stick with the tif suggestion.

Regards, Don

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register