Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: I NEED Advice on my Workflow and Settings Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by murphian446 on May-13-2008 at 5:14pm
View murphian446's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by murphian446 Search   Quote murphian446 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
murphian446
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-11-2007
14 Posts
Hey

I did my best to search through the forums before asking this question, but if you guys could kinda tell me how I can get the sharpest, highest quality tours out of my Sigma 8mm and canon 40d. I am using an Agnos TCPShort. It seems like all of my tours are coming out a little bit soft. Ive been using Bracket Exposure and an Aperture of anywhere between 5.6 and 11. I have been using photomatix to blend the pictures and then stitch them in panoweaver. I would like to have my panos look as sharp as possible and they all seem to be a bit too soft. Is there something I am missing. Has anyone found that just perfect sweet spot on a sigma 8 3.5.    Do i need to be manual focusing. I've been using Center AF for my focus.    Here is an example of one of my tours.

http://appalachian360.net/tours/whisperwoods/  

Also check out

http://www.technipix.com/QT_Viewer29.cfm  I would like my tours to look as clear as theirs.   

Any tips you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated.    One last thing I've noticed that merging in photomatix has been creating some unwanted grain and noise. It can't be my ISO setting because i usually use no more than 500.

Message posted by tturner on May-13-2008 at 7:22pm
View tturner's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by tturner Search   Quote tturner Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
tturner
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-09-2005
67 Posts

A few observations:

Technipix is using QuickTime for a player vs. flash 9 which I think at this time is still a better viewer. 

Stay away from auto focus and use manual.

Try a lower ISO with a longer shutter speed.

Also, Technipix is going fullscreen so he may be producing a larger image and file size than you are which will result in a better image.

Good Luck...
TTurner

Message posted by Vince on May-13-2008 at 7:28pm
View Vince's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Vince Search   Quote Vince Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Vince
Gold Member
Gold Member

August-13-2007
194 Posts
Also make sure you are bracketing with your shutterspeed and not you aperture. Changing your aperture will defiantly result in soft images.

Message posted by murphian446 on May-13-2008 at 8:30pm
View murphian446's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by murphian446 Search   Quote murphian446 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
murphian446
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-11-2007
14 Posts
I always bracket with shutter Speed. Has Anyone found the best aperture to use with the Sigma 8 3.5?

Message posted by tturner on May-13-2008 at 9:13pm
View tturner's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by tturner Search   Quote tturner Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
tturner
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-09-2005
67 Posts

Muphian446,

What are your VT dimensions and file size?  Are you also sharpening the image before you publish? One more - what size are the original photos and are you shooting Raw? Well that was two.

TTurner

Message posted by murphian446 on May-13-2008 at 10:54pm
murphian446
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-11-2007
14 Posts
VT dimensions are 4000x2000. I sometimes shoot in raw but for the most part in Jpeg. The original photo dimensions are something around 3000x2000 or something like that. It's the largest setting on my camera.

Message posted by 360texas on May-14-2008 at 8:48am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Short answer Sigma 8 f3.5  best aperature is f/8

Long answer:  Set your tripod /camera and Sigma 8 about 1 meter or 3 feet in front of a texture wall.  I used a brick wall.  With the camera set in Aperature priority  fix the f-stop value to read 3.5 and let the camera determine the shutter speed.   Suggest not shooting raw for this test

Take 1 picture at each of these f/stops

f/3.5
f/4.0
f/5.6
f/8
f/11
f/16

Now open all 6 images in your favorite photo editor.  Set all 6 images to view at 100%.   Now compare the sharpness.  We found f/8 and f/11 to be the sharpest.. and decided on f/8.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by tturner on May-15-2008 at 1:12am
tturner
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-09-2005
67 Posts

Final thought,

An alignment problem between exposures could be causing the final product to be soft.  Shooting RAW and getting your exposure differences from that process will ensure that all of the images line up correctly.  I here Smooth is the man for learning this skill.  Also, the contrast range did not seem that high in you demo, so maybe do not use HDR at all for this job.  If you have Photoshop you can use Shadow/Highlight to help dig out underexposed areas without HDR.  There are many talented folks on this forum (more talent than me) that might like to play with your images.  Could you post a set of photos and maybe someone could help you with a better result after seeing the originals. 

Take care...
TTurner

Message posted by 360texas on May-15-2008 at 10:36am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Oh, forgot some additional information. 

When using Sigma 8mm at f/8, rotate the ring to the INFINITY MARK oxo [tape it place so the ring will not move].  Then depth of field where ALL will be in focus is 4" (10cm) in front of the lens glass to infinity . 

That is why it is necessary to switch the 'auto focus' OFF because it is not needed.  

Keeping the auto focus switch in the on position will cause each of the 4 or more images to try to alternately focus on near and far objects.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register