Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: 5D query Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by steiner on December-10-2008 at 7:22am
View steiner's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by steiner Search   Visit steiner's Homepage www   Quote steiner Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
steiner
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-21-2004
212 Posts
Hi all

Probably a basic question, but how do I set my 5D to maintain the exposure level in all 4 shots? I'm using the f8 manual setting as suggested but I'm getting banding in the stitched pano (mainly due to the strong sunlights in some shots):

sample

Or is this just unavoidable?

-------------
Condottiero - Freelance Multimedia Design

Message posted by tbrusson on December-10-2008 at 7:35am
View tbrusson's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by tbrusson Search   Quote tbrusson Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
tbrusson
Gold Member
Gold Member
France
October-23-2006
164 Posts
Did you use a full manual mode or did you just set up the F8 ?
In that case the speed can automatically change according to the scene, resulting in exposure difference

The best way is to use Manual mode only setting speed and focal. Beside you have to check if the pictures are being processed with specific light settings (daylight, flash...) if converted to raw to tiff for example using digital photo pro.

thierry

Message posted by steiner on December-10-2008 at 8:16am
View steiner's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by steiner Search   Visit steiner's Homepage www   Quote steiner Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
steiner
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-21-2004
212 Posts

Thanks for getting back.  Afraid I'm an SLR novice.  Am turning the mode dial to M and inputing f8 via the Metring mode button/dial.  Shooting in RAW>  I notice white blance remains at 'AWB' - is that correct?

Also, I press the * button (AE lock) which is supposed to hold the exposure for all shots afterwards - but I see no visual indication that's it's doing that.  Any way to check this?

Thanks

-------------

Message posted by smooth on December-10-2008 at 8:29am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hi Steiner,

Mate, you can't use anything in "Auto Mode"

Why? Because the "Camera" will make a different decision with each shot. OK, you set to "M" and adjust the Aperture and Shutter Speed but the camera is still making the decision on White Balance and Focus. Meaning different colours and focus.

• Set the Camera to "M" manual
  • Set the ISO to 100
  • Set the Aperture to f/8.0
  • Set the White Balance to match the scene (Daylight, Shadows, Tungsten, Fluorescent etc.)
  • Meter the scene for the most average light and then - 
  • Adjust the Shutter Speed to match the internal light meter (the center position -ev|--|--|+ev )
  • Lens should also be set to Manual (no auto-focus) set to Hyperfocal value or simply start with "Infinity" setting. (looks like a sideways compressed number 8 on the dial).

No need to the AE Lock button (useless on the DSLR's) because you MUST hold down.

DO NOT adjust any settings between shots of the same panorama. DO NOT re-level between shots. Start from the beginning for the next panorama.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by pixelator on December-10-2008 at 8:30am
View pixelator's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by pixelator Search   Visit pixelator's Homepage www   Quote pixelator Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts
Turn the dial to Av and keep the f./8 setting. AWB is bad! Make sure you select a white balance that match's what your shooting...Select the sun image for shooting out doors in the sun, select the light bulb for tungsten when shooting indoors with the light on and so on. Do not use AWB.

Do you have the smart blend plugin and is it turned on?
Panoweaver 5 choose Tools, Advanced Settings, Plugins. This will help the blending of the images when stitched.

Message posted by smooth on December-10-2008 at 8:44am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by pixelator on December-10-2008
Turn the dial to Av

I do not agree with using the Aperture Value (Av) as the setting for panorama shooting. This allows the "camera" to choose and adjust the Shutter Value (Tv = Time Value) and this can lead to colour and brightness issues (more so outside) or you run into the limit of the Shutter Value and the camera then adjusts the ISO to compensate.

If you are going to go to the trouble to move out of "Auto" you really do need to go full "Manual"

Anthony, Pixel does make a good point about "Smartblend" be sure you have it installed and it is set to be the "default" blender. That will help you with all those shadows and people moving about.

A note on RAW: The purpose of using RAW is so you can process all the images with the "exact" same values and to also fix images errors like Chromatic Aberration and Vignetting. If you are not processing the RAW images correctly (Knowing what you are doing) you are basically wasting your time. "If" you corrected your "dud" image in your panorama to have the exact same value with White Balance etc your chances are you would still get a fully usable set and be able to produce that panorama.

Regards, Smooth 

Message posted by steiner on December-10-2008 at 9:17am
steiner
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-21-2004
212 Posts

I love a forum where people are helpful - so refreshing! :)  Thanks for the feedback fellas.  I was doing most of what you suggest aside from:

• Set the White Balance to match the scene (Daylight, Shadows, Tungsten, Fluorescent etc.)
  • I'm not sure what you mean here Smooth.  Do you mean I need to hold down the * button for every shot?

"No need to the AE Lock button (useless on the DSLR's) because you MUST hold down."

Also, don't see a .exe file called 'Smartblend'.  Do I need to purchase this? I'm using version 5.

Thanks again

-------------

Message posted by smooth on December-10-2008 at 9:58am
    smooth
    Forum Moderator
    Forum Moderator
    Australia
    November-23-2002
    5401 Posts
    Quote: Originally posted by steiner on December-10-2008
    I'm not sure what you mean here Smooth.  Do you mean I need to hold down the * button for every shot?

No, set your White Balance. Press the AF-WB button and use the "rear" thumb-wheel to select your White Balance setting. (See your Canon manual).

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by smooth on December-10-2008 at 10:06am
    smooth
    Forum Moderator
    Forum Moderator
    Australia
    November-23-2002
    5401 Posts
    Quote: Originally posted by steiner on December-10-2008
    Also, don't see a .exe file called 'Smartblend'.  Do I need to purchase this? I'm using version 5.

You must download and install the "Free" 3rd Party application.

See this link

Or direct download here

You should install this (Sorry, "Place" this Smartblend.exe)  in your Easypano directory so it doesn't get tossed out when you forget what it is. Then go to Panoweaver>Tools>Advance Setting>Plugins (tab) and then "browse" to show the path to your "Smartblend.exe file". This should be something like C:\Program Files\Easypano\Panoweaver 5.00\Smartblend\smartblend.exe So long as you have place it in there as suggested.

Add this row to the "command line parameters" field: -v -w -MinSize 32

When your pano is stitching a DOS window will open and show that Smartblend is in action and working.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by steiner on December-10-2008 at 10:11am
    steiner
    Gold Member
    Gold Member

May-21-2004
    212 Posts

Ah, sorry - I took it for granted those were a type of auto preset - thanks.

Re. Smartblend - just found the link on the main website so thanks again!

-------------

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
    If you are not already registered you must first register