Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: d60 and sigma 8mm f/4 Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by su-n on February-10-2004 at 12:39pm
View su-n's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by su-n Search   Quote su-n Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
su-n
Standard Member
Standard Member
Germany
February-10-2004
7 Posts

Hi!

Does anybody uses this combination (D60 and Sigma 8mm f/4 fisheye) and get's good results with panoweaver?

I already own a D60 and would like to buy a fisheye to do some cubic panos.

I know about the problems with the 1,6 multiplicator, but maybe someone got a solution for some good results?!?!

-------------
cheers,
sun

Message posted by phoenixrising on February-10-2004 at 1:27pm
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts
I don't know about the D60... but I seem to recall a friend of mine mentioning that he needed to do 6 shots with his D60/Sigma8mm combo ... 4 at 90 deg and one nadir and floor... I think u may have to consider panotools for this to work... But I will stand corrected.

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by Thomas on February-10-2004 at 1:29pm
View Thomas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Thomas Search   Visit Thomas's Homepage www   Quote Thomas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Thomas
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-18-2002
157 Posts
There are some good hints on panoramas.dk and at
http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/oxfordtour/tutorial.html
also at kekus.com in the tutorial section.
Somebody uses Stitcher from RealViz, the bigger part is using PTGui or PTMac. After stitching you can use the cheap PTCube to extract the six tiles, retouch zenit and nadir and put them back to a cube or a spherical pano. Works like a charm.
You can get further info from the PanoTools list or from the Quicktime mailing list.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoTools/
http://www.lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/quicktime-vr

Message posted by su-n on February-10-2004 at 2:36pm
View su-n's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by su-n Search   Quote su-n Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
su-n
Standard Member
Standard Member
Germany
February-10-2004
7 Posts

Wow, that are some good tutorials. Thanks a lot!

I haven't worked with Panoweaver until now, but I must admit that I really like the screenshots.

I haven't tried the tutorial, but it looks like these panos can be created much more easier with Panoweaver. Maybe I'm wrong - I'm a newbie to Panoweaver and to cubic panos.

What I'd like to have is a "all in one tool" - doing some work in Photoshop is ok, to fix some things, but I want one tool for stiching and creating cubic panos/virtual tours.

I'll have a deeper look at the turorial and I think I'm close to order the Sigma 8mm f/4 :)

-------------
cheers,
sun

Message posted by Thomas on February-11-2004 at 1:26pm
View Thomas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Thomas Search   Visit Thomas's Homepage www   Quote Thomas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Thomas
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-18-2002
157 Posts
There is no all-in-one-tool, and for Panoweaver you need a round fisheye image - you need a very high priced DSLR like the Kodak 14n or the top model from Canon.
Agnos has an adapter to use the Nikon fisheye converter with a wide lens on DSLR with 1,6 crop factor. Don't know about the quality, but he has demo pictures.

Start or test with a low budget Nikon and a fisheye converter and Panoweaver, this combination works fine to start with panos. (My Coolpix 5000 works fine)
Otherwise you can get a Canon 300D and a russian Peleng fisheye, this is the cheapest combination to start with a DSLR and cubic panos, but you can't use Panoweaver for stitching.

Message posted by smooth on February-12-2004 at 2:05pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hello Sun,

You will find a panorama on my website made using a Canon 10D and Sigma 8mm Fisheye lens (See fullscreen sample). But you cannot stitch with Panowaever because of the 1.6 multiplying factor. Pity!

I think if you are starting out you really need play it safe with Nikon gear.

Personally I would stick with the slightly older models like the CP4500 or 5000 that accept the FC-E8 Fisheye lens. Rather then the later models that use the FC-E9 lens. You will need a good panohead like the Mrotator or Kaiden for quality results.

Regards, Smooth

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register