Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: 'Failed to open file' message Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by CJLang on June-23-2009 at 11:26am
View CJLang's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by CJLang Search   Quote CJLang Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
CJLang
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
June-23-2009
5 Posts
I have been running into several problems while using panoweaver. The first being that when I stitch the image together and I go to save, it says 'failed to open file. Can not find the file' making it so that I can not save my work. I don't understand what is causing this message because I have gotten it to work successfully in the past and I am doing nothing different. I am using about 70 images taken with a regular lens with the camera mounted on a tripod. If I re size the images it will save as it should but this sacrifices quality of the detail in my image. I got a successful image out of panoweaver when I was using the trial version but now, using the pro version the same scene produces the 'failed to open file' message

the second issue that I am having is with distortion and alignment. I know that using a camera with a regular lens mounted on a tripod isn't exactly the best way to go about getting a 360 degree image but I feel like panoweaver should still do a better job then it has. I have been moving the camera in very small increments but I am still getting a choppy distorted image in places were there is a seam between two pictures.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Message posted by smooth on June-23-2009 at 11:37am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Sounds like a memory issue.

• What are the image sizes?
  • How many in the set?
  • What have you selected the output size to be?
  • Are you using a panohead?
  • Have you found the "correct" NPP No Parallax Point?

You need to provide more information so we can take a stab and finding your problem and thus, a possible solution.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by CJLang on June-23-2009 at 11:59am
View CJLang's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by CJLang Search   Quote CJLang Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
CJLang
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
June-23-2009
5 Posts
The image size is about 4.50MB.

There are 71 picture in the set.

I don't know. I can't find that as an option.

I am not using a panohead but the tripod I am using rotates and has degree measurements on it so I feel like it's essentially the same thing.

I'm not entirely sure what your asking, so probably no.

thanks

Message posted by smooth on June-23-2009 at 1:14pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

I suggest first of all that you attempt to stitch a limited amount of images. Say 6 in total and see if you get a result.

Really if you are serious about panorama making you most definitely require a panohead so that you can rotate around the NPP. Of course the position of the NPP must first be set to match your camera/lens combination. Without a panohead set up correctly your success will be limited at best. You would most likely have success with stitching images that are landscapes where things are far off in the distance, but the closer the objects become the more the parallax will come into effect.

Let us know how you get on stitching a smaller amount of images (partial panorama).

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by smooth on June-23-2009 at 1:19pm
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by CJLang on June-23-2009
I am not using a panohead but the tripod I am using rotates and has degree measurements on it so I feel like it's essentially the same thing.

I can assure you it is not. The NPP is a set point of a lens known as the Entrance Pupil and this is the point you must rotate around to avoid parallax. (for a long time mistakenly called the Nodal Point)

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by CJLang on June-23-2009 at 3:02pm
CJLang
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
June-23-2009
5 Posts
So, I tried it with just 6 images and it worked fine. Then I added some more and it worked fine. When I got to 43 images it stopped stitching at 70% and I was unable to save.

unfortunately the panoramas I'm interested in making are mostly of hallways. I will look into getting a panohead. If/when I do how can I make sure the position of the NPP is set to match the camera/lens combination? I have messed around with a panohead before but the issue I had with it was that it did not allow me to pivot vertically to include more of the floor and ceiling. Must this just be a fault of this particular panohead?

Message posted by smooth on June-23-2009 at 3:31pm
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

OK, so it appears you are hitting your memory limits. What is your computer specs? Amount of RAM etc?

Panoheads are available with and without the ability to tilt. You need to use the correct version. The NPP will be worked out using known methods.

Useful starting points can be offered once we know what camera body and lens you are using.

Look to these links for more on setting/finding the No Parallax Point

These three tutorials should see you sort the NPP out if you follow them correctly.

Once I know your equipment I can advise better on what panohead is best suited for your requirements. 71 shots is a lot of images. You might be better off with a wider lens like a Wide Angle or Fisheye depending on what you plan to use the final stitched image.

I.E: A fisheye can cover a full 360x180 with as little as 3 to 8 shots on a DSLR.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by smooth on June-24-2009 at 7:19am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by CJLang on June-23-2009
I have been moving the camera in very small increments but I am still getting a choppy distorted image in places were there is a seam between two pictures.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You also need to be careful of too much overlap 20 to 30% is recommended, more than this will confuse the stitcher. So you must rotate around the NPP and shoot so that you have optimal overlap between images.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by CJLang on June-29-2009 at 4:21pm
CJLang
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
June-23-2009
5 Posts
So, I got a panohead. Got a great image but when I go to stitch it It stops at 70% and stays their. Eventually the progress box will go away and it will pretend that it successfully stitched the images and the save button is lit up. However, when I go to save the image it says failed to open file. I am using 45 images at about 1.5 MB each.

Also, I got a circular fish eye and when I use that to stitch the pano I just get a ridiculous image with circular warp points and all kinds of crazy distortion. This doesn't make since to me because the images I am using to make the pano are really good fish eye images taken with a panohead. There wasn't excessive over lapping and more often then not panoweaver failed to recognize any matching points between images.

Next, when I do finally get a good image out of panoweaver and put it into tourweaver and click the preview button, all I get is a black screen. It is possible to re size the image but that sacrifices quality. The image size I am using is 13.2MB

thanks for the help this far.
CJ

Message posted by smooth on June-30-2009 at 9:08am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

OK, so you got a panohead - great!

• What did you buy?
  • What camera and what lens are you using?
  • What lens are you using for the 45 images?
  • What Fisheye lens did you buy?
  • Have you found the NPP? Really?

You still haven't told us what computer equipment you are running

• What is your CPU?
  • How much RAM do you have?

Sometimes you cannot get matching control points between images because

• The images lack information (lack of definable objects or repetitive objects that confuse)
  • Poorly exposed images (too bright or too dark)
  • Or not enough overlap

The no show in Tourweaver preview window could be

• Under powered computer CPU and/or RAM
  • Graphics card under powered and not up to the job or incompatible
  • Too many programs running at the one time (programs running in the background)
  • The latest version of Flash browser plug-in is not installed correctly
  • Program install is corrupted 

Unfortunately you will have to work through these things to find the answer. Some things you mention will be easier to answer once you have supplied more information. As it stands, all I can offer is an educated guess.

Regards, Smooth [8D]

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register