Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: what is wrong with NPP... help please Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by siccorsky on August-04-2009 at 7:51am
View siccorsky's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by siccorsky Search   Visit siccorsky's Homepage www   Quote siccorsky Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
siccorsky
Standard Member
Standard Member
Ireland
February-22-2009
16 Posts
Hi,

I'm writing because i'm at the verge commiting a crime and throwing all my equipment out of the balcony :)...
I'm trying to set up a perfect NPP point for last few days... but still getting strange results... I was using the following froum thread dor this: http://www.easypano.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=4162&SearchPagePosition=1

i was moving the slides around by 0.5 mm at the end... the closest i could get is here:

but the stitch is still not perfect as you can see here:
http://www.360vr.ie/panos/bottom%2045%20x%20top%2021%20Panoweaver.jpg

there are still small parallax errors
not to mention what happens when i try to stitch with with PTGUI... the NPP gets crazy....
example here:
http://www.360vr.ie/panos/bottom%2045%20x%20top%2021%20PTGUI.jpg

can someone explain why this is happening? Why there so big difference between PTGUI and Panoweaver stitching?
I can setup PTGUI to stitch almost perfectly..(not perfect though) but then Panoweaver will create complete rubbish for me...

I thought that if the NPP is set up correctly it should work, doesn't matter the program you are using..
http://www.360vr.ie/tosend.zip

here are all the source files I was using...If someone could have a look at it would be great...

what am I doing wrong?
Please help...I will really appreciate it...
thanks in advance
rgds
mike

Message posted by 360texas on August-04-2009 at 9:03am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Hello Mike,

Sorry I have not been following along recently. Need more information. Did you level up "only" on the 1st shot?

Can you tell us please what camera and lens you are using?  How many "on horizon" images are you taking?    You say the above sample nadir picture was stitched using Panoweaver. Which version of Panoweaver are you using?

I agree the above tripod cap nadir is well formed.  At the moment not sure what is causing the wood floor splice issue.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by smooth on August-04-2009 at 10:18am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Mike,

I have tested your images by stitching them with both the latest release of Panoweaver and also an older release of PTGui. I have found that both stitch these images perfectly and that you NPP is very close to perfect.

I believe the issue you are having is that you are not getting a good spread of control points but rather a cluster towards the centre.

It is vital that you get a good spread of control points that cover from the very top to the centre and then the bottom of the image.

Should you decide to keep this position you should make a good stitching template that you can assign for future stitching assignments using the exact set-up and position.

Easypano Panoweaver Result
PTGui Result

If you like I can share with you a panoweaver.spf stitching template I made using your image and/or a ptgui.pts stitching template with control points errors less than 0 across the whole stitch.

I would suggest you would benefit from one on one tuition. It lightens your pocket but relieves frustration at the same time.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by siccorsky on August-04-2009 at 10:22am
View siccorsky's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by siccorsky Search   Visit siccorsky's Homepage www   Quote siccorsky Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
siccorsky
Standard Member
Standard Member
Ireland
February-22-2009
16 Posts
Hi Dave,
Thanks for reply,

I'm using canon 400D + sigma 8mm 3.5, AGNOS TCP short mounted on manfrotto 322 for levelling, Panoweaver 5.00,

I'm levelling only once. at the first shot, nad then i do not touch levelling. taking 4 shots.

wood floor splice issue is probably coaused by not ccorrectly exposured shots, i switched off smartblend plugin for better preview of the nadir.

My concern is that even if the tripod cap in nadir is almost perfect the panorama oafter stitching still shows NPP errors. you can clearly see it in the ceiling/wall joints around the room...

and....

WHY the same files do not match in PTGUI?

I can match shots in PTGUI with no errors (well with the same issue as in the panoweaver - nadir ok but small NPP errors) but I would have to completely change the setup of the rotator... this is strange... shouldn't NPP point once setup, work in all the software?

thanks in advance for your help...

Message posted by smooth on August-04-2009 at 10:33am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by siccorsky on August-04-2009

I thought that if the NPP is set up correctly it should work, doesn't matter the program you are using..

No, not so! All of these stitchers use their own algorithms and only if you follow the complete correct procedures will you end up with the same or very similar results.

You must understand that stitching errors and parallax errors are two completely different things.

Things that will help:

: You must remove as much Chromatic Aberration as possible.
    : It is vital that you get a good spread of control points from top to bottom and not reply solely on automatic control point placement.
    : In most cases you are best to remove excessive clustered control points and only leave ones close to the edges as to avoid false positives.
    : Setting a correct crop circle is also important when using a circular fisheye like the Sigma 8mm in either Circular or Drum mode in Panoweaver or PTGui.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by siccorsky on August-04-2009 at 10:55am
siccorsky
Standard Member
Standard Member
Ireland
February-22-2009
16 Posts
hi Smooth and Dave..

thanks for all the effort put in helping me :) I'm feeling honored... Both forum gurus helping me :)

so here it goes...restarted in mac...and used PTGUI to stitch the same 4 images as in windows....and this time the panoramic image came up good....the problem with PTGUI in widnows has to do something with plugins i installed yesterday... I will reinstall it and check it out...

Control points...thanks for info on that..i thought that it doesn't matter for the software where the point are placed.. will look into it from now onwards...

Smooth... if you could send me template files would be great...

With regards to tuition....Smooth I will surely do that... the amount of time I'm spending going through forums to get things right is unbelievable... I always tried to learn things on my own... but I'm sure I could benefit form some guru one on one tips... i think in a week or 2 I will be in position to to this... you know Irish recession hits hard...I've invested lots of cash lately in the equipment... and pockets are empty at the moment... but I will do that... I already spoke to my banker (wife) about it ;)..this will be probably best investment done so far :)

thanks again for your help guys...
rgds
mike

Message posted by smooth on August-04-2009 at 11:06am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Files sent via email.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by Crotalus on August-06-2009 at 6:28am
View Crotalus's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Crotalus Search   Quote Crotalus Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Crotalus
Standard Member
Standard Member
Sweden
August-06-2009
2 Posts

Smooth

Ive been working with panoramas for a couple of years and t feels like Ive reached a border that is very hard to pass and we seriously need your help and expertice to further develope ourselves. I think that Ive seen somewhere here that you offer your services to do this. could you please contact me at [email address removed] so that we can discuss this furter

Message posted by smooth on August-06-2009 at 7:10am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Crotalus,

I have sent you an email.

Regards, Smooth

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register