Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Can I use Nikon D200 Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by randalltomes on November-02-2009 at 10:30am
View randalltomes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by randalltomes Search   Visit randalltomes's Homepage www   Quote randalltomes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
randalltomes
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-20-2007
61 Posts

I am thinking of switching to Nikon D200 or D300 with a Sigma 8mm 3.5 and the new Nodal Ninja (NN5 with RD8). I don't take the up and down shots so I just take the four horizontal shots and use a branded graphic for the floor and ceiling.  I know I will need a new lens to fit Nikon.

Are there any know issues with this setup? I have been using a Canon 40D with success with the same rotator and lens. I am switching to Nikon because the auto bracketing capabilities exceed Canon.

Message posted by smooth on November-02-2009 at 11:36am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Hmm, I certainly wouldn't get rid of a Canon 40D for a Nikon D200. That said, I would for the Nikon D300. But! really the best camera in this small sensor APS-C/DX field now (ATM) is the new Canon 7D.

Putting all that aside if all you are really after is "extra bracketing" then keep your Canon and buy a Promote with this baby you will leave the (9) bracket Nikon in the dust. In fact it is feasible you could shoot up to 45 brackets if within limits.

Should you still decide to go down the Nikon/Sigma 8mm route then yes, you can shoot 4 images (1 every 90 degrees) and with +4 -to- +7.5 tilt up you will totally close the Zenith hole meaning you will not need a ceiling cap at all (same is true for the Canon/Sigma 8mm combo).

Just in case you think I'm bias one way or the other I can assure you I'm not. I own both Canon and Nikon DSLR's and I also own a Promote with cables for both of these brands.

Good luck with your decision. I'll be interested to know which way you end up going with.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by realtor jerry on November-02-2009 at 5:07pm
View realtor jerry's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by realtor jerry Search   Visit realtor jerry's Homepage www   Quote realtor jerry Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts
Thanks for posting about the "Promote" Smooth, it looks interesting.

-------------
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!

Message posted by smooth on November-02-2009 at 11:14pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Hi Jerry,

Yes, it is an awesome bit of gear and opens up features your camera already has but the manufactures hold back on so they can drip feed us with minuscule upgrades with each model release. For bracketing it is very hard to beat (so long as your camera model is supported) and your D300 certainly is.

Be sure to get the optional camera cable, it speeds the Nikon's up to match Canon.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by randalltomes on November-03-2009 at 11:25am
View randalltomes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by randalltomes Search   Visit randalltomes's Homepage www   Quote randalltomes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
randalltomes
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-20-2007
61 Posts

Man! Nice tip. I had not heard of this before. Thanks.

The promote video on youtube shows the person going thru a bunch of screens just for one shot. Do you to do that for each round of shots? Orfor each shot?Or is that something you can set for the day and keep shooting similar shots all day. Like I would hope to only have to change the target shutter speed for the light settingfor each round of shots and not have to spend time going through thelcd screens to specify brackets and increments again.

Message posted by randalltomes on November-03-2009 at 11:40am
randalltomes
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-20-2007
61 Posts

Smooth, I don't know if you know these people at promote but they should really invest in good SEO (Search Engine Optimization) because they don't come up in google at all. I was searching for someting like this before I just bought Nikon for bracketing. I did not come across anythign like this in my searches. I am going to try to back out of the purchases today and stick with Canon.

thanks for the advice.

Message posted by smooth on November-03-2009 at 12:40pm
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by randalltomes on November-03-2009

Man! Nice tip. I had not heard of this before. Thanks.

The promote video on youtube shows the person going thru a bunch of screens just for one shot. Do you to do that for each round of shots? Orfor each shot?Or is that something you can set for the day and keep shooting similar shots all day. Like I would hope to only have to change the target shutter speed for the light setting for each round of shots and not have to spend time going through thelcd screens to specify brackets and increments again.

Basically, you just select the HDR screen, feed in the (mid) shutter speed and adjust how many brackets you want and that's it. If you have a workflow of needing say 7 brackets and 2ev stops then that will remain (unless you change it) the only thing you really will need to adjust is the (mid) shutter speed.

Let just say I fully understand where you are coming from - before purchasing I wasn't all that sure how it all worked and the company "excluded" delivery to Australia! I email them and said what the story? Anyway, we found a way and generally I found them helpful and quick to reply.

You can download the full owners manual from their website. Mind you, even after it arrived and I played with it for a while I was still trying to fully understand it. Things just weren't "Australian" in there explanations.

But it wasn't long before I had a handle on it and it is pretty straight forward. If you get stuck, just ask me and I will attempt to set you straight.

Seriously I wouldn't recommend it unless they were paying me (which they're not, mores the pity!) or I truly like the product and find it to be beneficial.

If you do happen to order one, please let them know "Smooth" recommended it to you.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by smooth on November-03-2009 at 12:52pm
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by randalltomes on November-03-2009

Smooth, I don't know if you know these people at promote but they should really invest in good SEO (Search Engine Optimization) because they don't come up in google at all. I was searching for someting like this before Ijust bought Nikon for bracketing. I did not come across anythign like this inmy searches. I am going to try to back out of the purchases today and stick with Canon.

thanks for the advice.

Mate, I don't really and I'm not sure how hard they are pushing the product. Word of mouth seems to be getting the job done (at least part the way). I really do believe you will be happy with what it does and potentially will save you quite a bit of cash (against changes brands both body and lenses).

Don't get me wrong, I love my Nikon D300s (almost as much as my Canon 5DMKII) But I mainly carry both so I can be up to date with my tuition services. If only Canon had a GPS option! Jeez, I'd like to mash my 5DMKII, D300s and Promote into one super camera.....

That said, the last 5 or so panos I have shot have been with my old Canon 10D and Falcon 8mm fisheye. Go figure!

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by smooth on November-03-2009 at 1:11pm
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Just as a matter of interest: I added a wireless remote to the wired Promote and it works like a charm. The wireless remote triggers the Promote to do what you have instructed the promote to do! That way you never touch the camera (or any connecting items) thus avoiding and camera shake/movement.

Excellent

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by randalltomes on November-03-2009 at 1:45pm
randalltomes
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-20-2007
61 Posts
I just ordered the promote and cable for Canon. I was getting concerned I would not get anything for my sigma 8mm EOS lens. Not a hot item unless you looking for one. They have gone up 200 bux since I bought the last one. So I just cancelled all the nikon stuff and bit the bullet on some shipping but that is small change. I am interested in this remote. Is it made by promote or another manufacture?

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register