Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Did you know? iPhone Panoramas Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by smooth on November-04-2009 at 11:48am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Nothing revolutionary here, but did you know you can use your Panoweaver stitched 2:1 Equirectangular and display them on the Apple iPhone?

Well, thanks to PangeaVR you can do this very easily. Simply download the PangeaVR app from iTunes app center for FREE and install on your iPhone.

Now you have the viewer all you have to do is upload the Equirectangular panorama image sized to 2048x1024 (600kb) to your server and then type in the address via the PangeaVR app on your iPhone.
I.E: http://www.yoursite.com/iphone/mypano.jpg and away you go.

Go one step further by writing some very simple XML and you can create a list of panos with auto-rotate, text, thumbnail, GPS that PangeaVR reads. Once done you simply enter the address to the .xml file.
I.E: http://www.yoursite.com/iphone/mypanos.xml and select from the list what pano you would like to view.

The "Pro" version PangeaVR Pro ($12.99 USD) allows you to download the panoramas for local viewing at anytime (no Internet connection required).

I mention this because A) I recently bought an iPhone (for no other reason than to display panoramas) and B) Being able to show clients, potential clients, family, friends and just people who need a visual to get a grasp on what a "panographer" is (because sometimes it's not what they think!).

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by 360texas on November-04-2009 at 12:37pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

James, Good thought about the iPhone

We went the other direction.  We bought a small 8 inch [20cm] screen Acer Netbook that uses XP.  It is wireless and connects easily to local Wi-Fi hotspots (or your local area network wireless router).

Agreed you can not stuff it in your shirt pocket.

Price US$289. from local Walmart.

Needless to say.. the 160gb hard drive holds alot of panoramas and we downloaded free Open Office software.

OH and we also use it for GPS.  [MS Streets and Trips].  Took it with us last month to Mexico.  Took a 2 day road trip through the Yucatan.  Quite surpised that almost all the small back road villages were geo located correctly on the gps software maps.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by tbrusson on November-09-2009 at 7:57am
View tbrusson's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by tbrusson Search   Quote tbrusson Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
tbrusson
Gold Member
Gold Member
France
October-23-2006
164 Posts
For info, the topic has been discussed a few times before :
the current applications to display vr on iphone are pangea and cubeworld :

http://easypano.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=4208&SearchPagePosition=1&search=pangea&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Topic&forum=0&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Search

http://easypano.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=6&TopicID=4591&ReturnPage=Search&PagePosition=0&ThreadPage=2

http://easypano.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=6&TopicID=4170&SearchPagePosition=1&search=iphone&searchMode=anywords&searchIn=Thread&forum=0&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Search

http://easypano.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=4169&SearchPagePosition=1&search=iphone&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Thread&forum=0&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Search

thierry

Message posted by smooth on November-09-2009 at 9:00am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
and of course http://www.moblvr.com/

Lets just say I have download and installed all these apps and only PangeaVR is worth having in my opinion and it could use some updating.

Because "unless" you know the URL you can't simply download the panoramas for local use. You also must be prepared to download the panographers "whole" collection not just the one or two panoramas of interest.

Some countries limit data (Both WiFi and Wap) and charge by the Kilobyte downloaded. Phone plans are very limited (Wap) here in Australia and very expensive for data. 25mb = $20.00 AUD for (Wap). It is reported daily that kids receive bills for thousands of dollars because they don't understand how it all works. Exceed your approved mounthy limit and you are looking at 0.35 cents per kb (yes - kb, not mb) without warning.

It should also be noted once downloaded for local view you lose all the "extra" xml info and all you get is the panorama image to play back via PangeaVR Pro. So it will not auto-rotate, no GPS info, No text, no FOV limitations and no thumbnail.

Brian at Pangea should put a little more into this Pro version of the app.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by tbrusson on November-09-2009 at 10:13am
View tbrusson's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by tbrusson Search   Quote tbrusson Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
tbrusson
Gold Member
Gold Member
France
October-23-2006
164 Posts
In my opinion (for budget consideration since mobile broadband usage is usually limited everywhere in the world) only pangea pro and cubeworld applications are worth considering since they allow to store panos on the iphone and therefore are not internet dependent.

thierry

Message posted by tbrusson on December-16-2009 at 6:23pm
tbrusson
Gold Member
Gold Member
France
October-23-2006
164 Posts
Just a brief message to point out a new (free) application dedicated to VR on Iphone : ArounderTouch although I did not have time to evaluate it

thierry

Message posted by tomax on January-12-2010 at 8:14pm
View tomax's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by tomax Search   Quote tomax Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
tomax
Standard Member
Standard Member

January-24-2009
120 Posts

Unfortunetally, until Apple will not bring full Flash support on iPhone, we'll not make money from it. The big issue for us is to provide verstatily to customers, to let them use these virtual tours we create in many ways - iphone, bufon, tufon... all smartphones.

Anyway, we'll go on!

Message posted by tbrusson on January-12-2010 at 11:10pm
tbrusson
Gold Member
Gold Member
France
October-23-2006
164 Posts
The flash version for the current Iphone (Apple stated it wanted a decent working version) might be possible through apps. Adobe already said it was working to make flash app available without requiring flash. It is going to be possible in the next release of Adobe CS5 :
link to the post

The other related question would be to have TW tour on iphone which would require a self contained swf which would be possible to integrate in flash. Even though it's too soon to know how swf could be integrated and how CS5 would produce iphone apps.

So there still would be the question (on the TW side) to have
- self contained swf and
- the possibility to automatically reduce the size of the pano to iphone size (to reduce loading time and broadband usage)

it would be nice though to have better options than the current iphone apps such as PangeaVR, Cubeworld or Arounder which display simple panos

One has to take into consideration too that most of the applications on the Iphone (but for some database ones) require beside the apple SDK, the knowledge of Objective C Cocoa programming language.

thierry

Message posted by smooth on January-13-2010 at 12:34am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Good to know Thierry.
Do you play around with the Arounder App?

Personally for me it's not about "others" viewing my panoramas on their iphone but more a way of me showing them what I do in a casual sense from a device I'm likely to have on me in most settings. From there we move to a computer.

Still, if people wish to view panoramas on a small phone it is OK.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by DominiqueGEORGE on January-13-2010 at 5:29am
View DominiqueGEORGE's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by DominiqueGEORGE Search   Visit DominiqueGEORGE's Homepage www   Quote DominiqueGEORGE Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
DominiqueGEORGE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Belgium
August-19-2009
285 Posts

The iPhone allows you to surf from everywhere (if covered).

I've always my iPhone with me, NOT my laptop ;-)

Of course iPhone's screen resolution may have a bad impact, but you are ALWAYS able to show something, for sure in the Real Estate World !

Having an "iPhone" deticated version would be nice.

Reagrds,

Dominique

-------------
Nikon D300s - Nikor 10.5 - (PW7 Pro + TW6 Pro) - W7 Ultim - DELL Prceision M6400 (Quad Core - 8GB - 2x160GB-SSD)

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register