Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Nikon 5700 and Fisheye Lens Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by doktordave on March-18-2004 at 4:03pm
View doktordave's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by doktordave Search   Quote doktordave Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
doktordave
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
August-18-2002
10 Posts

I'm looking to upgrade from a Nikon 995 to the Nikon 5700.  I know they make a fisheye lens for the newer camera, but I need to find out if the 5700 can shoot the "F1" or hemispherical type picture needed by panoweaver.  From the little I can find out about it, it doesn't appear to be able to do so.  Can anyone shed any light on this for me, or would I be better off going with the 4500, keeping my investment in lenses, pano head and so on intact?

Thanks in advance,

D. Rose

Message posted by sven on March-19-2004 at 6:19am
View sven's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by sven Search   Quote sven Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
sven
Standard Member
Standard Member
Germany
March-10-2004
35 Posts

I don't understand exactly what you mean with F1 mode, but I've got the 5700. Tell me where I should have a look at.

I use it with FC-E9 and UR-E12.

A test pano: http://www.su-n.de/panos/kitchen/kitchen.html

I bought the 5700 because I wanted to have raw/nef file format. But now I know that it's not necessary. A cheaper one would do the job, too.

Cheers,

Sven =)

Message posted by doktordave on March-19-2004 at 8:29am
View doktordave's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by doktordave Search   Quote doktordave Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
doktordave
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
August-18-2002
10 Posts

Nice looking pano, Sven.

It would be under the Lens menu, but I don't believe that option will be seen on the 5700.  I just wanted to know if the pictures produced were the round hemisphere image, surounded by black - the samples included with panoweaver show the type image I'm looking for.

I'm only guessing here, but do you just leave the lens setting at normal, and put the FC-E9 on and shoot that way?  I've noticed on mine that with the fisheye lens on, I get the same type image at the normal lens setting.

Thanks for the help.

D. Rose

Message posted by sven on March-19-2004 at 8:33am
View sven's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by sven Search   Quote sven Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
sven
Standard Member
Standard Member
Germany
March-10-2004
35 Posts

Lens is set to normal and the images are surrounded by black, yes.

Sample images from me are here: http://www.easypano.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=487&PagePosition=1

Sven =)

Message posted by doktordave on March-19-2004 at 1:05pm
doktordave
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
August-18-2002
10 Posts
Thanks, Sven - this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.  It looks like the 5700 will be just the ticket, but I sort of hate to have to buy all the lenses, pano head, and so on all over again.  Thank you for your time and trouble, and perhaps I'll have a demo for you to look at soon.

Message posted by sven on March-19-2004 at 1:21pm
sven
Standard Member
Standard Member
Germany
March-10-2004
35 Posts

Btw, I use the mRotatorB from agnos.com.

Cheers,

Sven =)

Message posted by smooth on March-20-2004 at 10:56am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hi,

For what is worth I would recommend you upgrade to either the CP4500 or CP5000 instead of the CP5700.

Why? Costing really!Like you said you will need a new Fisheye Lens, Panohead etc.

If you were starting from scratch, well then the 5700 or 8700 would be a good choice. Though in mine and others opinions the FC-E9 is a little softer on the edges then the FC-E8 used on the older CP9XX, CP4500 - CP5000 series which have a slightly sharper image.

If you are doing "Normal" (I.E not full screen pano's for Internet display) the CP4500 or CP5000 is more then enough. If you wish to do full screen then look at a D/SLR as the lenses for the CP series don't really cut it.

Check my sample on my website, all are CP4500 except the full screen which is Canon 10D D/SLR Sigma Fisheye.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by jeantet on March-20-2004 at 3:57pm
View jeantet's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by jeantet Search   Visit jeantet's Homepage www   Quote jeantet Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
jeantet
Standard Member
Standard Member
France
March-29-2003
59 Posts

I tried using the FC-E8 with my Coolpix 4500 and the results are dismal: everything is unsharp (not out of focus, but unsharp, distorted) whereas with my Coolpix 5000 the results are fine...I can't understand why the difference between the results from the two cameras.
The Agnos mRotator should have made it easy to switch from one camera to the other, but I think the 4500 (which takes excellent, sharp, well-focused pictures normally) is not, in my experience, the camera to use with the FC-E8. Besides, the 5000 is quite inexpensive these days, and the FC-E8 is quite a bit smaller, lighter, and ... sharper than the FC-E9 according to reports I've read.

-------------
Robert Jeantet
www.sav.org
www.alpage.net
www.spherivue.com
www.webalpa.net/spheres
etc...

Message posted by smooth on March-20-2004 at 10:10pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hi Robert,

I cannot see any reason why your CP4500 and FC-E8 would give bad results? Plenty of us how visit this forum use this set up and I have not seen this happen. Maybe you could post some images from both cameras of the same panorama in un-stitched, unmodified form?

I do believe that the CP5000 and CP4500 have slightly different set up menus. Your are right though the CP5000 is cheap to buy now - so unless you want the swivel action (or smaller camera) then the CP5000 would be the one to buy.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by Chiranjeev on March-21-2004 at 1:16am
View Chiranjeev's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Chiranjeev Search   Visit Chiranjeev's Homepage www   Quote Chiranjeev Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Chiranjeev
Standard Member
Standard Member
India
December-31-2002
22 Posts

How about the CP8700? Will the extra pixels contained in the final image result in a significantly sharper panorama than the one shot with a CP5000 ?

Can anyone post a sample pano shot with the CP8700?

Regards,
Chiranjeev

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register