Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: need advice for tripod and head Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by scd67 on April-21-2004 at 10:57pm
View scd67's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by scd67 Search   Quote scd67 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
scd67
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-19-2004
44 Posts

Hi again,

I can't say how glad I am that you guys are around!  I've went ahead and purchased a CP 5000 with the FC-E8, a set of 46mm filters (mostly for the UV), memory card and reader, and the UR-E5 (for filters) and UR-E6 (for fisheye).  I'm planning on buying the MrotatorA from agnos as soon as I can figure out how.  I have been looking at the manfrotto/bogen 3001 tripod, but there are so many variations.

Can anyone reccommend a good tripod (this flavor or any other)?  I would also like to take regular shots, so I will need a regular head as well.  Any reccommendations on that?  I have heard ball heads are nice to use, but am very lost on what I should get as far as the tripod/head combination.

As always, thanks a million!

Steve

Message posted by smooth on April-22-2004 at 3:03am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Steve,

Mate, I personally use a Velbon Sherpa 450 and love it for both still shots and panorama's but I also like the Manfrotto line of products. I will suggest a "tilt leveller" to be used in conjunction with any Panohead. Personally I use the one offered by Kaidan. One of the best things I like about the Velbon Sherpa 450 is the "smooth" pan and tilt action (great for video cameras).

• Great build quality
  • Good price

Anyway I hope this helps somehow.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by scd67 on April-22-2004 at 6:39am
View scd67's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by scd67 Search   Quote scd67 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
scd67
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-19-2004
44 Posts

thanks smooth, you've been a savior in this whole process

I found these results for what you recommended:

A good deal?

Thanks, Steve

Message posted by smooth on April-22-2004 at 8:12am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

This link shows a few other models and has better description and pictures

http://www.maxwell.com.au/photo/velbon/tripods/sherpa/index.html

As for the price I believe $199.00 AUD is recommended retail Conversions can be done at www.xe.com

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by VT360 on April-22-2004 at 12:09pm
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

hey mates,

the quick tilt leveler is an excellent tool.

also, if your planning on putting a head on a tripod, get a head that doesn't have

long exteded handles. these handles get in the way and will increase the diameter of the tripod cap (circular logo to cover the tripod).

i say, the less you have to worry about covering with the tripod cap or cloning in photoshop the better.

now,your setup doesnt need a tripod head in any case so you can save money.

set up can bet tripod + quick tilt levelver + kaidan or agnos head

best success!

Message posted by scd67 on April-22-2004 at 12:17pm
scd67
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-19-2004
44 Posts

sweet deal, thanks vt.

I believe I will go with the setup you mention (tripod, quick tilt leveler, agnos head), but I would also like to be able to shoot standard (non-pano) shots.  For this, I would need a different head on top of the leveler, wouldn't I?

I'm waiting to hear back from a couple retailers on if they will ship sherpa 450 to US, and also looking at the bogen 3001BN with the 3265 ball head w/ quickrelease.  It might be easier to get the Bogen, just in terms of communication and shipping.  What do you guys think?

Message posted by VT360 on April-22-2004 at 12:30pm
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

"I would need a different head on top of the leveler, wouldn't I?"

No, you still DONT need a regular head to mount your camera on the tripod.

The tripod thread is probably 3/8" male. And your camera is probably 1/4" female. So at this point you woulndt be able to mount the camera on the tripod. But you can get a small (the size of a nickel) adpater that you can screw on top of your tripod and it will convert the 3/8" into 1/4". Now, on this new 1/4" you can now mount your camera. This little adapter can probably be found in your local photo store for less than $5..i think.

BUT, if you have a the money to invest on the 3001 tripod and 3265 head...go for it. is a nice set up. the head looks awsome.

Message posted by scd67 on April-22-2004 at 2:44pm
scd67
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-19-2004
44 Posts
Well, I got tired of waiting to hear about the sherpa (just wanted to get the ordering done with), so I've went ahead and gone with the 3001 and 3265.  I thought that head looked pretty cool too, should be a lot of fun.  I got the Kaidan leveler too.  Thanks for all the guidance guys, I'll keep you posted when I get all the stuff in  :)

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register