Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Equipment cases and care Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by scd67 on May-05-2004 at 9:43am
View scd67's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by scd67 Search   Quote scd67 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
scd67
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-19-2004
44 Posts

Ok, I know that this is a very general question and definitely gives a feeling for my less-than-in-depth camera aptitude (but I'm learning!), but I have gotten great feedback from you guys so far, so I trust you more than any other board =)

I've gotten all my wonderful equipment, thanks to the suggestions from everybody.  Smooth, you've been a tremendous help throughout all this!  Now, I need to take care of it.  I was wondering what kind of carry cases or other you use to transport your equipment?  I have a manfrotto tripod, nikon 5000, fc-e8, quicktilt from kaidan, 3265 ball grip, mrotatorA, and I want to make sure I take care of it in the best way possible.  I have nothing to transport any of the equipment (except the box they came in) at this time.  Any recommendations?

Also, is there any thing that a novice (me) should pay attention to take care of his equipment.  I'm going to have a UV filter on the camera whenever taking still shots, I hear that is good practice.  But anything else in particular that I should note?

Very fondly,
Steve

Message posted by eagle on May-05-2004 at 12:36pm
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts

Hi Steve,

Looks like you're all set.  Why do you have both the tilt leveler and the 3265 head?  The 3265 should take the place of the tilt leveler.  Just wondering coz I don't have the leveler, just the 3265, and it works great.

r,
eagle

Message posted by scd67 on May-05-2004 at 12:57pm
View scd67's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by scd67 Search   Quote scd67 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
scd67
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-19-2004
44 Posts

Hi eagle,

I went ahead with the leveler because I think it will work nicely with the mrotatorA from agnos.  I'm going to be using the 3265 for the still shots, and will just be swapping heads (mrotator or 3265) off the top of the tilt leveler.  I agree, the ball head is awesome!  It is just easier to leave the leveler on the tripod.

-s.

Message posted by smooth on May-05-2004 at 9:06pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hi Steve,

Mate, I'm glad if I helped in some way.

I too have various ways of carrying my equipment but have never really got to the point of being 100% happy. I hear a lot about the pelican hard cases and these seem to be a good product. I would lug all of your gear to a store that stocks them and try them out for size. I believe you would want all your gear in one case (At least I do!) Currently I use a bag made by "Glacier Gear" that's carries my CP4500, Kaidan Panohead, Kaidan Tilt Leveller, FC-E8 Lens, Spare Batteries, Business Cards, Pen, Lens Pen, Memory Cards, Remote Control and Mini Tripod. But it does not allow for my full-size Tripod so this is carried separately.

All my other gear like Canon 10D and Panohead are all pretty much loose at this stage until I find something suitable.

Later I will post a photo if you like, Maybe others would be so kind as to do the same.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by VT360 on May-05-2004 at 11:42pm
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

the pelican cases are probably the best buy although not the cheapest.

they are water proof and have an o-ring seal on them.

they come with a diced foam which you can custom cut with your hands too. this is how:  you place the equipment on top of the uncut foam. outline with toothpicks where you want to cut, remove the equipment, and cut the foam following the toothpick outline. - this directions should come with the new case when you purchase it.

i recommend size 1500 for the head and camera. is like a the size of a briefcase.

the 1600 is very large and heavy for you to fit alot of stuff in it. but it might be an overkill.

check out pelican.com for info on their sizes.

there are also some metal looking cases with dice foam if you like that metallic look and not the plastic look.

Message posted by scd67 on May-06-2004 at 12:01am
scd67
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-19-2004
44 Posts

Thanks for the recommendation, guys.  I will most likely go ahead and go with one of those, not sure if the 1500 will hold everything I need, gotta lay it out first.  I do like the "you break it, we replace it" motto, though.

So I guess that does away with my idea of being lazy and just always leaving the quicktilt leveler on the tripod, huh?  Maybe it's not a good idea to keep the equipment attached to something that will be carried freely.

always,
-S.

Message posted by Scott on May-08-2004 at 2:55pm
View Scott's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Scott Search   Visit Scott's Homepage www   Quote Scott Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Scott
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-05-2003
83 Posts
I asked a similar question months ago and didn't get a reply. I'll try again here:

I have to climb and ski to a lot of my shots. I can't really carry a case while doing that. Any suggestions for something I can strap onto my back (like a backpack of some sort) that will protect my stuff?

-------------
- Scott

Message posted by scd67 on May-09-2004 at 11:44am
scd67
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-19-2004
44 Posts
wish I could help more Scott, as everyone here has been a godsend to me.  For what it's worth (probably not much), I went ahead and sprung for the pelican 1600 case.  It will fit all my equipment, including the tripod, and leave a little room for growth even.  I'm pretty pumped.  Good luck with the backpack.

Message posted by Neill W on May-13-2004 at 10:58am
View Neill W's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Neill W Search   Visit Neill W's Homepage www   Quote Neill W Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Neill W
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
July-17-2003
63 Posts

Scott,

I use a Lowepro pack for general stuff - it has adjustable straps and waist and chest straps to spread the load. There's a huge range of sizes etc.They're not cheap, but pretty hard wearing

www.lowepro.com

Hope this helps

Neill W

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register