Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: First attempt at object modeling Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by RotoPix on May-30-2004 at 1:14pm
View RotoPix's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RotoPix Search   Visit RotoPix's Homepage www   Quote RotoPix Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RotoPix
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-11-2004
79 Posts

Greetings, all.

I've seen some very good work by VR producers with Object Modeling. Seems like an interesting venture so I thought I'd see what's involved. I can see now that it can be quite tedious and time consuming to get good results... especially without the proper equipment (turntable, camera mount, etc.)

But just for grins I fashioned a make-shift "turntable" out of a cardboard box, wax paper, a thumb tack, tupperware lid and a piecee of string (don't laugh! It's what I had lying around.)  I also wanted to try something difficult to photograph, so I borrowed a tiny glass elephant from my wife's collection. Glass turned out to be quite a challenge to capture because of its transparency. Anyway, the whole thing was done entirely by hand in PhotoShop (way too much work!) But it didn't turn out too bad for what I had to work with.

If anyone's interested, I posted the Model here. I'd like to try out ModelWeaver. to see if saves some time.

Thanks,

Brian Jackson - RotoPix

Message posted by 360texas on May-30-2004 at 3:43pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

The greater number of pictures the larger the filesize and the smoother it will rotate.  If you have not already done so.. you might consider viewing a 1998 Acura. 

I think we took 40 or so....36 at 10° and a few more for opening/ closing doors etc.

http://360texas.com/services/om/omcar.htm

The cell phone is less than spectacular but still novel.

http://360texas.com/services/om/om.htm

Yes... removing background on 40 images CAN be labor intensive.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by RotoPix on May-30-2004 at 5:47pm
View RotoPix's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RotoPix Search   Visit RotoPix's Homepage www   Quote RotoPix Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RotoPix
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-11-2004
79 Posts

Hi Dave.

Impressive photos of the Acura & cell phone. Thank you for the links. Yes, I understand the "smoothness" issue. That's why the example I posted used 64 images. When the viewer starts it displays 5 or 6... I guess to retain people's attention while the rest of the frames load. The final "Object Model" is about 700kb for all 64 frames. Dial-up connections take a minute or two.

I'm "guesstimating" that we should keep each frame to around 10~15k. 64 frames could easily rack up the file size.

Just so I know, what was your experience in viewing the Glass Elephant file? Did the viewer tell you that it was loading the subsequent frames during the preview? Or did it just show you the 5-frame preview without telling you there were more frames to see? I'm very curious.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions. I truly appreciate it.

Respectfully,

Brian Jackson - RotoPix

Message posted by smooth on May-30-2004 at 10:32pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hi Brian,

Well done mate, I liked your equipment description!

It displayed very "Smooth" for me with all 64 frames and took only seconds to download with aDSL. I have never done any modelling photography, but will do so one day just like you have.

Congratulations on all that work to produce your final object.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by VT360 on May-30-2004 at 11:07pm
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

hey brian,

at the beginning it wasnt perfectly smooth because as you said, only 5 - 6 images were being used. but even then it was ok.

the viewer did not tell me it was downloading the subsequent frames.

after it finished downloading, the rotation was very smooth (meaning it wasnt jumpy at all). obiously the shots were not completely leveled due to your home made turn table. but even the, it was super.

tip which might help.  when shooting small items like this that reflect light, you can you use a white 3 panel cardboard display sold at office depot or officemax. this way you dont have all those colors on the glass figure. just a thought that might work.

best wishes mate.

Message posted by eagle on May-30-2004 at 11:28pm
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts

Hi ya folks,

Object modeling is fun but indeed takes time.

I'm too lazy to clean up the background when I did a couple a while back.  It was a local scout event and I just didn't have time to really spend time with it.

I'll post the samples shortly.

r,
eagle

Message posted by Chiranjeev on May-31-2004 at 1:38am
View Chiranjeev's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Chiranjeev Search   Visit Chiranjeev's Homepage www   Quote Chiranjeev Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Chiranjeev
Standard Member
Standard Member
India
December-31-2002
22 Posts

Hi all,

Another method of displaying an object Vr. Click here [shockwave required]. Click on image to zoom and stop the movement.

Regards,
Chiranjeev

Message posted by 360texas on May-31-2004 at 9:48am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Ahhh I am pleased that you mentioned Shockwave technique. 

Directly above and to the right of the car object, you will see a large area displaying numbers.  Mouse over the numbers left and right and they will change.  This is a FLASH object model.  Each number is a frame containing an actual image. 

http://360texas.com/services/om/omcar.htm

If you have FLASH then click the text link to download the object model .fla template file.  The secret is to replace the existing number images with your own object images.  I think there are 36 key frames.  If you need 64 then place additional frames in the center section which will make the sequence longer.

Enjoy.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by eagle on May-31-2004 at 11:08am
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts

Hi ya folks,

Here's the sample object model.

r,
eagle

Message posted by RotoPix on May-31-2004 at 11:23am
RotoPix
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-11-2004
79 Posts

Hi guys.

Thanks for all the great info and links. One thing puzzles me however... Some of the ModelWeaver Google hits mention that it can do "Edge Detection", yet their documentation and demo program make no mention of this "feature" that I can tell.

There are some programs out there that do this, such as Anything3D.com, unfortunately their demo program is stripped of this Edge Detection masking feature, so there's no way to see how well it works. Another program called Object Works supposedly does this too, but only on a Mac.

Surely there exists a program somewhere that can help automate the background removal process. PhotoShop has some great tools that help with this, if you have the time to edit frame by frame. Anyone have any software suggestions? Or did I miss something in ModelWeaver? Thanks.

Respectfully,

Brian Jackson - RotoPix

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register