Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Advice Needed Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by flipper on June-02-2004 at 6:28am
View flipper's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by flipper Search   Visit flipper's Homepage www   Quote flipper Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
flipper
Standard Member
Standard Member
Spain
June-01-2004
5 Posts
Hi All,
    After a while trawling through the various messages, and enjoying the quality of the work that you all deliver, I have finally decided to make the leap into 360 photography. As a VERY amateur photographer, I would like to purchase a camera setup, that allows me to enjoy still photography coupled with the exciting world of the 360 panorama. The main leap into this, is that we are moving to the South of Spain, to take a part time web-design consultancy into the full time arena.

I have various clients down there, mostly in the real-estate /hotel trade, who have asked for the possibility of 360 degree tours of their property, as it's a natural fit, and the few providers on the coast do not seem to produce the complete product. And the costs they are trying to charge my clients are extortionate for the quality of the final product. I.e. just a grey java applet showing each 360 view, not much else really, for around €400 per shot.

After playing with many trial programs with the samples, the ease of tailorability of the easypano software, has allowed me to develop some fantastic proof of concept tours as demos for my customers. But of course here comes the sticking point.

My camera skills are  reasonable, but not into a very technical level. I am generally good at picking the scene, but much past point and click photography, and then touching up my "Mistakes" in photoshop (which I am very adapt at doing :o) ).

I think I have found a cost effective solution, but would like your views. I will be offering this service free to my existing customers whilst I learn and hone my skills to a sharper level, with an intention when and if my skills get to a decent level, offering it as an extra saleable service to others.

I need a setup, that will allow me a little bit of give and take with regards to my lack of photographic experience, but will be good enough, to grow with me in the future as I progress.

Would this fit the bill?

Nikon CoolPix 4500            (Is there any useful accessories I should purchase at the same time? Memory Cards, Batteries? etc.).
Nikon FC-E8 Fisheye Lens
Agnos Mrotator A
Tripod (Any Suggestions?)

Is there anything else I would need to start? And would this setup allow me to get more adventurous in the future?

I'm looking forward to posting my efforts online for people to help fix :o)

Cheers

Shaun

Message posted by smooth on June-02-2004 at 7:31am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

G'day Shaun,

Welcome to the virtual world mate

The set up you have mention is a good way to go, you have been reading!

I'm sure others will drop in and give their opinions and suggestions. You will most definitely require extra batteries for your camera. I would also buy the "Wide Angle" lens for (Normal) photography for those little rooms you will encounter. I like the Agnos MrotatorA over the "Q" version - though both are very good for the money. As for tripods I would look at the Manfrotto and Velbon Sherpa range (I personally use a 600 series) and a "Tilt Leveller" like the Kaidan or Manfrotto #222. You can take a look at one of my set ups here and other worthwhile recommendations here

I aways willing to help where I can (time permitting) and we all would like to see the shots you end up doing on the coast of Spain.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by eagle on June-02-2004 at 9:51am
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts
Hi Shaun,

I'd recommend an extra battery, minimum of 128MB flashcard, and the 3265 Grip ballhead.

As far as tripods go, a good solid sturdy tripod would do. I use a relatively inexpensive bogen/manfrotto 3001PRO (~$100) and it works just fine.

r,
eagle

Message posted by Flash HQ on June-08-2004 at 9:42am
View Flash HQ's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Flash HQ Search   Visit Flash HQ's Homepage www   Quote Flash HQ Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Flash HQ
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-23-2004
12 Posts
Bogen 3265 Grip Action Ballhead with Quick Release - Supports 5.50 lb (2.49 kg)

...is the same thing as the Manfrotto #222?

-------------
     -Flash

Larry Flash Alexander

Message posted by VT360 on June-08-2004 at 9:58am
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

yes. the 3265 and 222  are the same.

smoothie, thanks for the recommendation page.

do any of the iseemedia software stitch 2 or 3 fisheyes?

Message posted by eagle on June-08-2004 at 10:31am
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts

Hi there,

Bogen has two pistol grip heads.  One is the 3265 and the other is what looks like the Manfrotto 222.

Specs are the same except for the color:  3265 is black. 222 is green. 

Maybe the color green means "mo money".  :)

r,
eagle

Message posted by smooth on June-08-2004 at 11:15am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hi VT360,

Mate, the iSeeMedia Photovista software does NOT stitch fisheye images. It is an entry level panorama stitching software package that does a pretty good job of stitching "most" neck brace panoramas. Good for beginners and those who need to stitch non fisheye images. I do not really like there viewer, but PT Viewer can be used.

Eagle,

The Manfrotto #222 on my tripod is "Black" See Here Manfrotto is sold in the USA only as Bogen as Mr Bogen was partnered with Mr Manfrotto many years ago when the company started. A deal was struck that the Italian made product would be sold in the USA (Only) as Bogen as compensation for the money put up in the beginning from Mr Bogen. The products are identical. Colours are optional and vary on product manufacturing runs.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by doktordave on June-11-2004 at 11:18am
View doktordave's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by doktordave Search   Quote doktordave Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
doktordave
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
August-18-2002
10 Posts

Hi all,

After much experimentation with little success using the Kiwi 990 Pano Head/4500 adapter combo, I've just about decided to go ahead and bite the bullet, so to speak, and go with the Mrotator Pano Head from Agnos.

Smooth, I noticed that you say you prefer the MrotatorB model over the A for the Nikon 4500/FC-E8 combination; what are the differences between the two?  Also, I'm told by Agnos that MrotatorA is only for the FC-E8, and that the MrotatorB is only for the FC-E9.  Care to help shed a little light on this?

Thanks Much,

D.

Message posted by smooth on June-12-2004 at 4:33am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by doktordave on June-11-2004

Smooth, I noticed that you say you prefer the MrotatorB model over the A for the Nikon 4500/FC-E8 combination; what are the differences between the two?  Also, I'm told by Agnos that MrotatorA is only for the FC-E8, and that the MrotatorB is only for the FC-E9.  Care to help shed a little light on this?

Thanks Much,

D.

Sorry, my mistake entirely!

I have adjusted my previous statement as I should have said MrotatorA over MrotatorQ and not "B" as I had previously.

Apologies, Smooth

Message posted by doktordave on June-12-2004 at 7:08am
View doktordave's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by doktordave Search   Quote doktordave Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
doktordave
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
August-18-2002
10 Posts

Thanks again as always, Smooth...  hope to get my order in on Monday.

D.

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register