Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Image Aspect Ratio and Stitching Issues Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by mngeogr4 on October-20-2011 at 12:36pm
View mngeogr4's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by mngeogr4 Search   Quote mngeogr4 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
mngeogr4
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-06-2011
3 Posts
I am have problems with my stitching giving me errors and am not sure if I am doing something wrong with the photographing or in the stitching. The error I receive after importing the photos is... #0203013 The image aspect ratio among source images differs, would you like to continue stitching? I have been unable to find any info on the image aspect ratio issue.

Any help would be appreciated. I can upload the images or the stitched image if needed.

Thanks,
Rick

Message posted by smooth on October-20-2011 at 12:45pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hello Rick,

I'm not sure about the specific error number. But if the image aspect ratio differs this will cause issues.

So without seeing your images I can only take a guess. Lets say you have 8 images to import with all images 4000x3000px. 6 are rotational shots and then you have 1 Zenith/Up shot and 1 Nadir/Down shot. If you have auto-rotation on "within the camera" it is likely you have 6x images that are 4000x3000 (portrait) and 2x images that are 3000x4000 (because of the auto-rotation "landscape") this would mean you have 2 images that don't match the aspect ratio expected.

You could correct this in Photoshop (or whatever image program you have) and make sure all are saved in the same orientation.

Maybe this will help? Otherwise please tell us what are the exact sizes of each image in your project. (Or upload the images so I can test them).

Perhaps you have cropped images?

Regards, Smooth [8D]

Message posted by mngeogr4 on October-20-2011 at 12:57pm
View mngeogr4's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by mngeogr4 Search   Quote mngeogr4 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
mngeogr4
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-06-2011
3 Posts
Smooth,

I believe you are right on with the error and the auto-rotation. I will have to turn that off on the camera when I take the pictures. The second issue I have is that when I stitch the photos together, it' as if the images are all turned a little counterclockwise so that on the stitched images where they overlap, they don't match up very well. We are taking lots of images outdoors and there tends to be a horizon that is sometimes hard to match up. I am including a link to a zip file of my pictures. If you could take a look at them for me and let me know possibly what i am doing wrong in taking the pictures or in the stitching process.

Thanks,
Rick[URL]http://mavdisk.mnsu.edu/moorer2/pub/Stitching.zip[/URL]

Message posted by smooth on October-20-2011 at 2:53pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hi Rick,

Yes, you must turn the in camera auto-rotation off. That will fix that problem.

Your image set is problematic from the outset. The reason are but not limited to:

• Poor exposure (partly due to miserable looking day)
  • Very monotoned
  • Lacking features for control points
  • Bad Chromatic Aberration
  • Not an ideal shooting sequence

Mate, I'm a very experienced panographer and even I mucked about with for a long time to get it to stitch. Basically the subject matter in these images is not conducive for stitching.

I would suggest you practice where you have objects from top to bottom in the scene. You should also change your shooting process to: 6x images at -10 degrees 2x Zenith/Up images at +65 degrees (180 degrees opposed) and the Nadir/Down shot at -65 across the area of the tripod and tripod shadow.

Shooting this way will reduce the nadir hole, give you two images with more likely area at the zenith to capture good area for control points. Finally the nadir at -65 degrees will allow more coverage over longer shadows and also gain better control point placement.

Regards, Smooth [8D]

Message posted by leescott on October-21-2011 at 11:25am
View leescott's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by leescott Search   Visit leescott's Homepage www   Quote leescott Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
leescott
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
November-10-2008
314 Posts

mngeogr4  - go for the smooth training it's well worth it's meager cost [:star:]vs. you try to figure it out yourself...  It made a WORLD of difference for me and my workflow process, software process, and image creation.

Smooth...

I'm shooting at 6 x -15 degrees (D300 w/ Nikkor 10.5) and 1x zenith/up at 65.. should I be at -10 and shooting 2x Zenith images (180 opposed) ???

I'm intrigued and will try as soon as I get home.

BTW the Promote Control is awesome -- batch processing with "easyHDR Pro" is so cool, don't know if you've seen that app yet.

As always Thank you for ALL you contribute to the forum

Lee (a humbled Smooth student) [;)]

-------------
Lee Scott - Nikon D3/D300/D5000 - |shaved Nikkor 10.5 mm| Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod /322RC2 Grip - Mrotator TCS |CS5 | PW7 & TW6.5 Pro
----
To err is human ... to not try is just plain lazy

Message posted by smooth on October-21-2011 at 2:27pm
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

G'day Lee,

Thanks for the kind words. Sure you can shoot with this method also. The way you are shooting at the moment is what I suggested originally. The -10 or -15 doesn't matter all that much. 180 opposed zenith shots ups your stitching control point chances. You may find you only need one of these shots, but to shoot them both is good insurance.

The Promote Control is a great unit and why I recommended it to you and plenty of others. If you use it with a Canon you now also have the benefit of the new focus stacking feature. Be sure to check for firmware updates every so often.

There are many HDR programs. Mostly I batch with Photomatix or Oloneo Photo Engine.

Regards, Smooth [8D]

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register