Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: AE Lock Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by ark_d2 on July-20-2004 at 2:24am
View ark_d2's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ark_d2 Search   Quote ark_d2 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
ark_d2
Standard Member
Standard Member
Chile
July-15-2004
3 Posts

Hi,

I would like to know....What happen if I take the panorama shots( 3 photos) without AE Lock (setting ALL manually)?

I "always" take 3 photos with AE lock mode on to make a Panorama.

I'm new in this...just started a month ago with spherical and cubic panoramas. Sometimes when I want an "interior panorama", let's say from a room directly iluminated by sun, I notice that "General" light is OK, but the window is too bright, and in some parts of a wall are too dark.

Well, a couple of days ago I read a post sent by Simon who explain his technique by taking 3 or more shots to the same direction (understanding that a panorama has 3 directions or photo orientations to be build) with the same aperture but with different exposure times. Then repeat the "3 shots " with the other 2 directions.

Once all photos are taken, name as "photo base (1,2 and 3)" the photo of each direction that have the same aperture and exposure time.

So, if in "photo base 1" light is OK, but the window is a little bright....correct the brightness with photoshop by blending this photo with another one taken in the same direction but with another exposure time....So blending the window area can make the window not to bright.

I think this is OK, but my question is....will I have  difference with the photos taken in the 3 directions (Photos named as "Base 1,2 and 3) setting manually the same aperture,exposure and  white balance, whith AE lock mode OFF? (The other photos taken in the same direction but with diferent exposure time are just for correcting bright or dark areas by blending the area with the Base ones) 

Thanks, and sorry for this Looooong post. I'm trying to be very clear.

Message posted by 360texas on July-20-2004 at 9:30am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Hi ark_d2,  Welcome to the forum.

You have asked a number of good questions.  Let me think on this and I will answer after I have tried to duplicate your work flow.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by scd67 on August-23-2004 at 4:15pm
View scd67's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by scd67 Search   Quote scd67 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
scd67
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-19-2004
44 Posts

These are very good questions, and could simplify shooting and blending if it does work.  Anybody shoot their panos this way?

Message posted by phoenixrising on August-23-2004 at 4:48pm
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts

Yup I do.

I don't use ae lock. Never did... well only at the beginning... and didn't like it.

I also tend to take anywhere between 3-7 shots in a given direction just changing the exposure time. As White bal and aperture has been set, u'll get a change of lighting due to exposure settings and even light for each of the images taken 120 deg apart. The reason I take more then 3 shots is to make blending in PS easier as I have more sh*ts/steps to play with for smooth blending work.

So ark_d2... welcome and keep going ur route.

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by VT360 on August-23-2004 at 7:31pm
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

I would like to add that Phoenix's method, while producing excellent results for him - is more time consumming because you have to take more shots and they work it out in PhotoShop.

If you have the time to shoot multiple shots, know how to use photoshop, and want more blending control- look for his detailed techniques here in the forum.

If you want faster shooting, less post work, go for the AE lock method.

That's my opinion.

Message posted by phoenixrising on August-24-2004 at 4:44am
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts

VT360,

to be fair, my method is the same as if u were using ae lock. Just that I prefer to do multiples. If I were just to take 1 shot in each direction useing my setup, I'd still get what I want. The point for me actually to save time. As one cannot always tell from the backscreen of my cam which exposure time will give the best results. Hence by taking say 3 shots in each direction I at least have 3 shots to choose from even if I don't want to blend and I also don't have to take trial shots in each direction in advance to work out what'll be best overall considering the three directions I'm shooting in. In my experience, unless I'm standing outside and have no shadows around me, I'll never quiet get just a 3 shot sequence (1 in each direction) that'll give me satifactory imagery for each direction. This being due to the limited dynamic range of digi cams. There will virtually always be to much shadow in one shot or over exposure in another. And anyhow, taking at least 3 shots in each direction will offer some blending possibilities to make a more complete and therefore more proffesional overall pano. If u blend regularly, the blending work will be quick (ie just a couple of mins pre image) and part of the workflow.

So AE shots... not for me as I can't aford the time to go back and retake because a shot is out of line, got to much shadow, a cloud has popped over and changed the light, somebody has walked into part of the image.......

But heh... don't take my word for it. go and do a three shot ae lock and another 3 shot Setting to manual, aperture at 8 and white balance to suit the environment and set exposure to the middle value and see for urself.

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by Intour on September-01-2004 at 5:04am
View Intour's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Intour Search   Visit Intour's Homepage www   Quote Intour Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Intour
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
September-01-2004
2 Posts

If you don't want to spend too much time in photoshop - particularly for an indoor pano - shoot with ae lock but have only about 20% of the bright window to the edge of the first shot. This will help balance the final pano. It will be darker than you might like in some areas of the room but the window won't be blown out. Select the window in photoshop, then select inverse and brighten the room only with levels/curves.

I wouldn't advice this for high quality work but for cheaper to mid range stuff it gives perfectly acceptable results. Occasionally though you'll need to shoot mutliple exposures for example when the window is very large or just too bright.

Nigel

Message posted by VT360 on September-01-2004 at 11:17am
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

thanks for the follow up phoenix and nigel.

nigel...i think i seen your name in other forums.

welcome.

Message posted by 360texas on September-01-2004 at 9:51pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Yes It is Nigel in the UK. WELCOME NIGEL !  He knows the VR process very well.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register