Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: pointing camera lens vertically? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by scd67 on August-14-2004 at 4:45pm
View scd67's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by scd67 Search   Quote scd67 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
scd67
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-19-2004
44 Posts

hello all,

I realize this may be the most incredibly simple question you have ever answered, but I honestly cannot figure it out.  I have a manfrotto (bogen) 3001BN tripod, a 3265 ball head, a CP 5000, and a recent addition of a 0-360 One Shot Optic.  I need to have the camera lens point vertically to use the optic.  I cannot figure it out for the life of me how to do this??  I've looked everywhere and can't find how to do this, but most likely that is because it is so simple.  Can anybody tell me how to do this?

Thanks so much,

Steve

Message posted by eagle on August-14-2004 at 5:17pm
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts

Hi Steve,

Not usre if you have the Kaidan VR360 type but normally you'd need a tripod with a tilt head  that puts the camera on the side of the tripod.

With a tilt head, you can have the camera facing up and then the 360 one shot device on the lens.

If you have a video camcorder tripod, notice that you can move tilt it up and down.  That's the kind of movement you need for you digital camera.

I'm not sure where or how the 3265 would fit in the equation since that is primarily for upright positions only.

r,
eagle

Message posted by scd67 on August-14-2004 at 8:16pm
View scd67's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by scd67 Search   Quote scd67 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
scd67
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-19-2004
44 Posts

thanks for getting back to me eagle. A buddy stopped by and showed me how to flip the 3265 vertically.  It's not the stablest setup out there, but for now, it'll serve the purpose.

best,
steve

Message posted by eagle on August-14-2004 at 8:55pm
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts

Hi Steve,

Considering the cost of your gear, you may want to get a real tilt head to prevent any possible mishaps and unfortunate damage to your equipment.

You can probably get one cheaper than the 3265.

r,
eagle 

Message posted by VT360 on August-17-2004 at 11:28am
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

its probably an ackward set up since the 5000 doesn't have a swiveling body.

if you mount the 5000 on the 3265 head, then press the trigger and on the head and bring the head paralle to the floor.

the nikon 5k should be pointing to the ceiling now. you can now mount the 360 lens on it.

the problem i see with this set up is the difficulty of playing with your camera buttons and the weight is hangin on side.

best to ya.

Message posted by smooth on August-17-2004 at 12:20pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Luckily the Coolpix 5000 has a swivel screen and "some" menu buttons are on the screen. The 5000 is very suitable to use with the 0-360 lens. That said the CP4500 with twist body will also be a great choice.

Tripod and head are critical and you should buy wisely. Strength and weight should be considered.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by scd67 on August-17-2004 at 12:22pm
scd67
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-19-2004
44 Posts
you guys are both absolutely right.  it is very awkward for the above mentioned reasons.  the 3265 hangs out very far, and really isn't very stable in the vertical position..at least not enough to where I'm comfortable mounting the expensive optic on it.  In fact, I really haven't been too pleased with the optic at all and may be looking at other solutions.  In the case that I do stick with it, can anyone recommend a good sturdy head that will allow the cp5000 to mount vertically?

Message posted by scd67 on August-17-2004 at 12:25pm
scd67
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-19-2004
44 Posts
*correction: "all three" are right now... smooth, you snuck that in right before me.  Gotta be why the call you smooth... 

Message posted by smooth on August-17-2004 at 12:41pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Steve,

The One Shot lenses are not all that easy to use (although they would have you believe so!) Once you have worked out the best possible combination is when you will save time. Learning how to use your camera in "manual" mode and after a lot of experimenting you should get reasonable results.

BUT! These will never rival that of "Stitched" images.

If you do decide to dump your One Shot lens please contact me as I have a friend in need of one.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by scd67 on August-17-2004 at 8:02pm
scd67
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-19-2004
44 Posts

Thanks for the heads up smooth, I'm going to experiment with it a little bit more, but I may be in touch with you soon.  The settings that came with the optic and are supposed to be cp5000 specific really yield a very *rough* result, we'll see what we can do on our own.

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register