Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: New HDVR imaging system Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by RotoPix on August-16-2004 at 2:03pm
View RotoPix's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RotoPix Search   Visit RotoPix's Homepage www   Quote RotoPix Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RotoPix
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-11-2004
79 Posts

Greetings from the RotoPix front.

Haven't posted in a while, so I thought I'd fill you all in on the latest... We've finally got the thumbs-up from the city of Fort Wayne, Indiana to do an aerial VR tour of their city. However they want HDVR (which we've been developing) to create full-screen, high definition zoomable aerial panos. So we're sinking around $14,000 into a new camera/lens/laptop system. Coastal Optical Systems makes this lens, which has a 22mm output, which is perfectly matched to the Kodak DSLR's 24mm image sensor. The lens itself weighs 8lbs. (3.6 kg), so this will be a heavy rig to hold onto while I'm dangling out of a helicopter. But, the clarity and resolution should be amazing. I hope to have some samples to show you in about 10 weeks. It takes that long for them to build this lens. Hope it's worth the wait.

Cheers,

Brian Jackson

P.S., If anyone's interested, HERE'S a schematic of the lens.

Message posted by smooth on August-16-2004 at 2:55pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Can't wait Brian!

Bring them on....

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by RotoPix on August-16-2004 at 3:19pm
View RotoPix's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RotoPix Search   Visit RotoPix's Homepage www   Quote RotoPix Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RotoPix
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-11-2004
79 Posts

Will do, Smooth!

The only problem is that the client wants to get started around the 1'st of October, which isn't enough time to have the lens built. Would take at least an additional month... which is kind of strange. Coastal Optical lists this lens as one of their "Standard Products", yet each one is custom built. For $8K it'd better mix drinks and do dishes... but I suppose I have a wife for that (don't tell her that though!)

My only other concerns are the wind loads (drag) acting upon the lens in flight. The rig will end up being about 60" grip-to-lens length, so it has to protrude from the helicopter during flight. Typically we fly slow from one location to another to avoid excessive aerodynamic drag on the camera/lens/mount. But this new lens is freaking huge! I may have to construct an airfoil shaped fairing around the camera & lens to lessen the effects of wind resistance in flight.

Also, the city of Fort Wayne will be providing their own chopper, so we need to be sure it has removeable doors. A fixed-hinge door isn't useable because the length of the VR rig prohibits bringing it completely inside the chopper in transit. Unless of course we designed a telescoping exte... Hmmm. I'll get back with ya. I feel a brainstorm comin' on

Message posted by VT360 on August-17-2004 at 11:34am
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

hey brian,

why do you need such an expensive lens? whats so special about it compared to the regular fc-38?

how many megs are u expecting the full screen panos to be?

Message posted by smooth on August-17-2004 at 12:26pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Clarity will be the answer.

This I believe will be used on a Kodak full frame sensor camera up around 13 to 14 mega pixels. Image size could end up being 12000 x 6000 pixels. Where as my full screen images are displayed at 4000x2000.

This of course would need to be displayed with a "Zoom" image serving. Such as Zoomify where clarity on zoom is displayed on demand at any given view.

I for one will love to look at images this clear and crisp.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by RotoPix on August-17-2004 at 12:58pm
RotoPix
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-11-2004
79 Posts

VT360,

The output diameter needs to be sized to the physical dimensions of the camera's image sensor. In the case of the Kodak sensors, their minimum dimension is 24mm. Other lenses might only output an image circle of 14mm, where most of the sensor's area would be wasted. Also, this lens' optical characteristics are superior to other lenses in many respects. So even if we reduced the final pano to 4000 X 2000 pixels, you'll see the sharpness and detail right away.

Kodak makes a 22 megapixel sensor that is square (36mm X 36mm) and is used by Imacon Systems. This would be the ultimate HDVR system, but the cost is prohibitive. Working with the Coastal Optical engineers, it would have cost us just under $20K to develop a lens suitable for this larger output size. Coupled with the sensor and custom machined MF body, total cost would have exceeded $50K. So looking at it purely from a "bang-for-the-buck" perspective, going with the smaller 16 megapixel rectangular sensor over the 22mp square one will yield about 75% of the resolution for 1/4 the cost. Pretty attractive deal.

Cheers,

Brian Jackson

Message posted by smooth on August-17-2004 at 1:04pm
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by RotoPix on August-17-2004

So even if we reduced the final pano to 4000 X 2000 pixels, you'll see the sharpness and detail right away.

You will have to using Panoweaver 3.01 Pro as this image size is the limitation of the software.

Again, I believe the next version will address this problem.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by RotoPix on August-17-2004 at 4:14pm
RotoPix
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-11-2004
79 Posts
Let's hope so. I've spoken with the folks at Easypano and requested a version that could produce 10,000 x 5,000 panos. Would probably require a RAM increase. However, PTStitcher is more than capable of producing images well beyond that size. Unfortunately it doesn't have the automation I've grown to love in PanoWeaver Pro 3.01. A possible work-around might be to do a preliminary (small) stitch with PanoWeaver such that I can determine the X/Y/R/FoV values it used, then use those identical values with PTStitcher for producing the large version. Hopefully the stitching will look uniform between the two programs.

Message posted by VT360 on August-17-2004 at 8:09pm
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

sounds like something we all would love to see!

best to ya mate!

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register