Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Unstable Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Fizzwizz on August-22-2004 at 7:39am
View Fizzwizz's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Fizzwizz Search   Visit Fizzwizz's Homepage www   Quote Fizzwizz Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Fizzwizz
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
April-20-2004
67 Posts

After several comments by browsers of my website about applications freezing on their pc while looking at panos I noticed this happening regularly --->

It looks like the applet is unstable on top of all the other easypano problems.

-------------
There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't

Message posted by smooth on August-22-2004 at 8:13am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Remove the small applet from your pages.

There is little use for it and by running only one applet per page will resolve the issue.

This cannot be the result of Panoweaver! Panoweaver is a stitching program it has nothing to do with your pages. The applet used is part of Panorama Tools - PTViewer which is the work of Professor Helmut Dersch http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/ and is offered FREE and is widely accepted the best of all java applets used for panorama display. There is many versions/releases of this viewer and fixes. I would suggest you read about all versions and use the correct one to suit your display needs.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by Fizzwizz on August-22-2004 at 8:27am
View Fizzwizz's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Fizzwizz Search   Visit Fizzwizz's Homepage www   Quote Fizzwizz Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Fizzwizz
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
April-20-2004
67 Posts

Smooth, thank you for your comments but,

This is occurring on pages with single images.

I am aware of Prof Dersch and his work.

I used the latest version of panoweaver!

This has everything to do with panoweaver. Panoweaver publishes as well as stitches. The version of PTViewer used with panoweaver appears to be unstable. I assume that now I am to start picking through the different classes used on easypano software and finding the stable versions myself! Not acceptable!

Another good reason to give me my money back!

Potential buyers beware! In my opinion this software is amatuerly built and is not recommended!

Money back please?

-------------

Message posted by simon on August-22-2004 at 10:58am
View simon's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by simon Search   Visit simon's Homepage www   Quote simon Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
simon
Gold Member
Gold Member

January-14-2003
141 Posts

Fizzwiz,
Think your problem is unrelated to PTViewer as I got repeating screens with panoramas failing to load when I visited your website, something I have never seen before over the years. The PTViewer version you are using is v2.5 which is generally accepted as the most stable version completed by Helmut Dersch and I have found it to be the most reliable Panorama applet available. There are a couple of recent newer beta version developed from v2.5 (eg Fulvio Senore) which I now prefer and might be worth investigating. It may be a scripting problem as I've found Java Applets plus Javascripts can cause problems with some browser versions. 

Message posted by Fizzwizz on August-22-2004 at 11:09am
Fizzwizz
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
April-20-2004
67 Posts

Hi Simon

Thanks for you help. I am having problems with www.e-mmersive.com which contains no other javascripts. It was this site causing the latency shown in above image

www.virtual-almeria.com contains only a RMC disable script, but the second image may be an issue. I have seen other sites contain 6 -8 panos before. Is this something else easypano can't do?

Thanks again ... Fizz

-------------

Message posted by scd67 on August-22-2004 at 2:40pm
View scd67's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by scd67 Search   Quote scd67 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
scd67
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-19-2004
44 Posts

Fizz,

Smooth is right.  Easypano does not make or have anything to do with ptviewer, besides the fact that their 'publish' makes it simpler for you to find the correct parameters to use with the viewer.  Even in the abscence of Panoweaver, you are still most likely going to display spherical panos in ptviewer, you will come up with the same results.

The viewer, the JVM that it runs in, and the sometimes-excessive images that the viewer must load, all contribute to an occaisional lack of stability.  Iexplore is noted for sporatic problems with the JVM.  I haven't messed with pages with more than a single viewer, but I know computer processes go haywire here when I open up two browser windows with seperate instances of ptviewer.  Additionally, the computer loading the pages, the applications that they have running, and the patience of the user, all play an effective role in pano display.

I can understand your discontent with the viewer and the problems, but these clearly lie outside of the scope of the Panoweaver software and are in no way determinant of its reputability.

Message posted by Fizzwizz on August-22-2004 at 3:08pm
Fizzwizz
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
April-20-2004
67 Posts

Hi

I respect your opinion but PTViewer is a class that is packaged with easypano products. It is not acceptable to say .. "Your pano has failed because part of the package you bought was written by someone else"

I bought a 360 degree panoamic solution, and paid $1,000 also. If PTViewer has issues then easypano should not be distributing it in their products. When Ford sell you a new car, they don't say "I'm sorry but the engine failure it nothing to do with us ... contact Z-tech" They take responsibility for the package they are selling. As should easypano who sold me this, so called, great way of producing immersive media. 

-------------

Message posted by 360texas on August-22-2004 at 4:13pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

I take a small exception to your Ford analogy.  All the parts and pieces that this car company uses are usually purchased from suppliers who inturn have their own supplier workmanship warranties, which are passed through to the consumer.

That said.. the following is only my view point on the subject:

You did not buy the viewer called PTViewer.jar.  It was given to you freely as a part of the Easypano software package. 

Where as I think Easypano only distributes a licensed GNU version of ptviewer.jar, its license specifically says that IT MAY NOT BE SOLD and IS distributed AS IS, there is NO usability guarantee.  PTViewer.jar is a 'Pass through' and 'Free' piece of work and may not be sold.  The license must pass freely on through to your client who in turn ALSO may distribute it but not sell it.  PtViewer.jar is for ever free, the GNU license gurarantees it.

The PTViewer.jar GNU license is legal and is rather lengthy, and makes for a good read.

PtViewer.jar is not guaranteed to properly function IF you mix and match this viewer with some form of java script or other variant applet code or web browser and its resident java runtime engine.

PtViewer.jar evolved at about the time of MS IE 4, 5.5 and 6 and NS 4.7x series browsers.  As stated above, newer flavors of java runtime engines and browsers other that MS and NS have started to be used since that time, but the GNU license remains unchanged.

The GNU licenses ALSO says, you may modify the ptviewer.jar code and add new features and SELL IT under what ever name you choose, however, the license that you convey to your client, must specifically state that your product is based on the original ptviewer.jar code and has been modified by you and "in total" is not the original code set.

This is what I see from where I sit.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by Fizzwizz on August-22-2004 at 5:15pm
Fizzwizz
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
April-20-2004
67 Posts

Just briefly

I am fully aware of GNU's licensing terms. Fizzwizz have several applications released under the GNU license.

However, Panoweaver is marketed as panorama solution, and it does not competently perform the task it is claimed to do. In the UK as I'm sure in the US we have a law referred to as "Duty of Care" even free products that cause a consumer detremental effect can bring about litigation. Again, China escapes our law! How convenient!

As for the Ford analogy. As a Ford buyer my legal contract of purchase is with Ford. The support and warranty structure is for Ford's benefit and is legally contracted between Ford and their suppliers. I do not have a contract with Ford's suppliers, therefore my legal claim is with Ford and Ford alone! The same is with easypano.

Bets wishes .... Fizz

-------------

Message posted by scd67 on August-22-2004 at 6:00pm
View scd67's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by scd67 Search   Quote scd67 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
scd67
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-19-2004
44 Posts

Hello again,

I think through all of this the real point is becoming blurred: Fizz, regardless of what software you use - if you want it to be viewed in ptviewer - you will get the exact same results.  It doesn't matter if you stitch a pano with the free panotools, piece one together in photoshop, or shoot it with a one-shot system - you have to display it somehow - if ptviewer is what you want to use, it is up to YOU to make sure things work correctly.

This is not to say that you won't get plenty of help from the extensive community of panoramic photographers out there, or that you can't use a different viewer to display your panoramas - but it is saying, completely regardless of whatever way you make your panoramas, ptviewer will function the same.  Easypano just makes it easier to preview and understand ptviewer parameters, I don't know of many who just accept all of their output and place the exact code on the web.  I could understand if you were not happy with Panoweaver stitching or other aspects of the software, but dropping it because you don't like ptviewer makes little sense in my mind.  What other software would you use?

Easypano is not Ford, and the analogy is not worth dissecting any further.  Panoweaver is for stitching panoramas from fisheye photographs.  Ptviewer, and the other available viewers, are for displaying panoramas.  They are free.  If you want your panos to be seen, you can use one of the existing viewers or have your own created.

Are you just not pleased with ptviewer, or there other things involving the Panoweaver software?  It would be nice to make sure exactly what the problem is, and move forward from there.  If you problem lies only in the viewer, moving to a different software package is not solving anything.

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register