Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Palm pilot display? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by jeantet on September-19-2004 at 12:56am
View jeantet's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by jeantet Search   Visit jeantet's Homepage www   Quote jeantet Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
jeantet
Standard Member
Standard Member
France
March-29-2003
59 Posts

Hello people

Since getting a PalmPilot a few days ago, I've been wondering if there is a way to display our spherical images on such a device. I've been impressed with the sharpness of the 320x320 screen, and I believe that our images, even much reduced, would display very well on such a device. I've tried importing a QT mov file I produced (and which works in QuickTime on my PC, but the Palm doesn't know what to do with it... anyone have any ideas?

thanks

-------------
Robert Jeantet
www.sav.org
www.alpage.net
www.spherivue.com
www.webalpa.net/spheres
etc...

Message posted by 360texas on September-19-2004 at 1:17am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Do a thread search for 'Immervision".  Here is 1 of several threads to get you started:

http://www.easypano.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=657&SearchPagePosition=1&search=immervision&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Thread&forum=1&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Search

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by jeantet on September-21-2004 at 9:03am
View jeantet's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by jeantet Search   Visit jeantet's Homepage www   Quote jeantet Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
jeantet
Standard Member
Standard Member
France
March-29-2003
59 Posts

Hi 360,

Thanks for the reply.I've looked into what you suggest, and see that Immervision works with Pocket PC (Windows CE), not Palm ... it's the old Betamax|/VHS, Mac/Windows inccompatibility revisited yet another time. Déjà vu all over again, in the words of the great Yogi Berra.

I have tried Immervision for web pages and find it very complicated to implement (see one such image at http://www.webalpa.net/spheres/perso3i.html ) and hope that their user interface improves as the company grows; it appears to be a major player in the new XML file format, and I have high hopes for them. They've been very helpful and kind, providing me for example with the customized snow filter used in the image linked above  But for now, they appear to assume that anyone who wants to use their stuff is a computer nerd who understands instinctively what steps to follow, which isn't necessarily the case!

Pixaround allows the export of a cylindrical pano to Palm, but at low quality; filesize is theoretically limited to 400K, though my new Palm Zire 72, with many MB of free memory, refuses to run any Pixaround file larger than 150K or so (insufficient memory, it claims), which means that at 320 pixels high, the little pano looks very grainy/pixelated.

I've been doing some searching and now believe that Tribeworks iShellMobile may be the program that can do what I want; according to their literature, iShellMobile can use any type of QuickTime file, from panoramas to QTVR objects; Since I have on occasion used the mov format to display images (see the last row at http://www.webalpa.net/spheres/index.html ) I have a number of files to experiment with; then again iShellMobile costs a bunch ($345) so I don't see myself as a future customer for a product I would like to use only for occasional amusement. But I'll give the trial version a spin, and I'll report back on whether iShellMobile actually does work for panorama purposes, though the inherent limitations of pocket computers (low RAM, limited computing power, small size of the files that they can handle) probably mean that it is far too early at this time to really invest much time, money or effort in such a project.

thanks for your suggestion

-------------
Robert Jeantet
www.sav.org
www.alpage.net
www.spherivue.com
www.webalpa.net/spheres
etc...

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register