Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Reasons to hate Nikon Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by ecodevoman on December-19-2004 at 5:08pm
View ecodevoman's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ecodevoman Search   Quote ecodevoman Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
ecodevoman
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-16-2004
32 Posts

NIKON SUCKS!!!!

Two months ago I attempted to purchase all the equipment suggested (see beginner seeks advice)--and succeeded with everything except for the essential UR-E18 converter adapter and the agnos mrotator B. I don't blame agnos for their part because they can't get theirs ready until Nikon gets around to making their part available.

I can't by any stretch of logic imagine how Nikon can pull off implementing a sophisticated camera and a 180 degree lens, but FAIL to deliver to the market what is essentially a threaded pipe to make the wide angle usable.

No one on earth seems to carry the device at present and they all point to Nikon as the problem. Nikon representatives won't admit to their failure--they said to try larger retailers (which I already had). At this point there are no guaranteed delivery timelines from Nikon and they are already far past all promises for delivery dates made to vendors. This is one of the most irresponsible chain of events I've seen from a major camera equipment manufacturer.

At this point, I've lost a lot of credibility with all the customers I had lined up for VR panos. I'm so upset with Nikon, I would like to try to return the lens and sell the camera at a loss. I didn't want to deal with the 1.6 multiplier problem on the lower priced Canon systems, but I'd rather deal with a manufacturer that can keep its promises. Any suggestions to the next best system in a Canon (Coolpix 8800 with FC-E9 lens and mrotator)?

Message posted by smooth on December-19-2004 at 6:04pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

While I have to agree with the delay with the UR-E18 lens adaptor delay. NIKON whats doing with that?

I must say the Nikon system is by for the best answer for shooting spherical panorama images at a relatively low cost. At the time of suggesting you buy a Nikon Coolpix 8800 and FC-E9 Fisheye I had no idea the UR-E18 would be a non event. I like "most" others on this forum use The Nikon Coolpix series to do panorama work.

The answer for you is you either wait for the adaptor to finally be released or buy another model Nikon camera (Seeing you already have the FC-E9 Fisheye lens)

Known models that except this lens and HAVE adaptors available are as follows.

• Coolpix 5400 5 megapixels
  • Coolpix 5700 5 megapixels
  • Coolpix 8700 8 megapixels

These models have been out know for 12 months or more and all are known successful cameras. Users on this forum use them with great results.

You "may" be able to return your camera in favour of an 8700 or visit eBay and and see if you can pick up a cheap new or secondhand model to carry you over until the release of the UR-E18 Adaptor.

Unfortunately, no other brand will give you the same bang for your buck to be used in conjunction with Panoweaver 3.01

I notice amazon.com is stating the UR-E18 should be available sometime after December 24th (Whatever that means?) Hopefully very soon into the New Year....

All the best, Smooth

Message posted by ecodevoman on December-20-2004 at 4:39pm
View ecodevoman's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ecodevoman Search   Quote ecodevoman Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
ecodevoman
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-16-2004
32 Posts

Now they are saying delivery won't happen until february. So it looks like a six month wait now. I just don't trust NIKON at all now!! So I certainly won't be buying another.

Is there noviable way to use this lens with a Canon?

Message posted by VT360 on December-21-2004 at 12:22am
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

hey there eco,

don't worry mate. always look for other sources before u loose ur coolness.

perhaps ur local photo shop might have one. if not, then henry has.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43441&item=3861536299&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

merry christmas,

santa claus 

p.s. i hear dave and smooth have been good little boys

Message posted by smooth on December-21-2004 at 1:15am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Good spot VT,

henrys.com to the rescue!

I hope your info is right about me and Santa

I know Dave is getting his present soon but I haven't had any news myself........

Somebody put in a good word for me please.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by ecodevoman on December-21-2004 at 4:56pm
ecodevoman
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-16-2004
32 Posts

I normally check ebay, but didn't imagine there would be one there. I saw the link too late to bid in the auction. Will keep looking now though. But none of this makes any difference because Agnos says they still can't get a prototype from Nikon from which to finalize their MRotator B.

This means that I still couldn't take decent panos with this setup because either Agnos isn't trying very hard, or Nikon is lying to distributors. Is there another option as good as Agnos Mrotatorb that will work with this setup?

Message posted by 360texas on December-21-2004 at 5:21pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Ok.. we did it today. 

Canon 20d and a stock lens Canon EF 28 - 135mm IS USM (ultrasonic image stabilizer). AND [he wrote] a new Manfrotto 3001D tripod.  This coming Thursday/Friday will get to try out the new Sigma 8mm.

Step 1 charge up the battery. Now to get through the 167 page user manual.  After which I will have learned where to turn the camera ON. 

Are we having fun yet ??

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by ecodevoman on December-21-2004 at 5:52pm
ecodevoman
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-16-2004
32 Posts
OK, if I step down on the Nikon, I'd prefer to get the Coolpix 8400. Is there any practical way for it to be used with the FC-E9 fisheye? What lens mount?

Message posted by smooth on December-21-2004 at 10:36pm
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by ecodevoman on December-21-2004
OK, if I step down on the Nikon, I'd prefer to get the Coolpix 8400. Is there any practical way for it to be used with the FC-E9 fisheye? What lens mount?

I believe the 8400 was released the very same time as the 8800 and thus may cause the same issue with adaptor supply(?) The adaptor needed for the 8400 & FC-E9 is a ER-E16

The 8700 has all parts availavle from Nikon and Agnos has the MrotatorB to suit.

Good luck!

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by smooth on December-21-2004 at 10:42pm
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Dave,

You finally succumb to the powers of the Canon dSLR

I must say I thought you were leaning towards the Nikon D70 and 10.5mm Fisheye! Good luck with the learning curve, but I'm sure you will be impressed with the Canon.

Though you might wish to return that lens! It has some old bloke infused on the glass (Front Element). LOL

We expect a fullscreen panorama for our viewing very soon!

Regards, Smooth

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register