Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Which head/tripod for 20D & Sigma 8mm Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by BigGreenFurryTh on January-14-2005 at 9:34pm
View BigGreenFurryTh's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by BigGreenFurryTh Search   Visit BigGreenFurryTh's Homepage www   Quote BigGreenFurryTh Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
BigGreenFurryTh
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
January-07-2005
49 Posts
After messing around with panoramas for while, I'm getting serious this year and getting a Sigma 8mm lens & Canon 20D (or the 300D replacement, maybe).

Currently I'm using my Velbon video tripod with either my trusty old Canon A1 or a Fuji 602Z botch fixed to it. I have no idea which head or tripod to get for a 20D/8mm combination. Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted.

Also are levellers worth the money?

Cheers,
Mark

(Smooth: thanks for the info. in your recent e-mail. My reply to you got bounced by your SPAM filtering.)

Message posted by smooth on January-15-2005 at 12:08am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hi Mark,

Spam filters should have allowed me to read it! unless I actually "white list" your email address you will receive a (automatic) complaint. **Sorry**

As for the panohead require you have many options.

I personally use www.agnos.com products as does Master James from Easypano. I also use the Kaidan Twin Axis model which you can see here

You need to understand that the Canon 20D + Sigma 8 mm combo does not work with the current version of Panoweaver. Upon the release of Panoweaver 4.0 shortly this will not be a problem so we are told.

Levellers? YES they are most definitely worth the investment actually (compulsory) I recommend the Manfrotto #222 but the Kaidan Quick Tilt will also work as well as many others.

Hope this helps, Smooth

Message posted by BigGreenFurryTh on January-15-2005 at 6:36am
View BigGreenFurryTh's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by BigGreenFurryTh Search   Visit BigGreenFurryTh's Homepage www   Quote BigGreenFurryTh Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
BigGreenFurryTh
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
January-07-2005
49 Posts
Hi Smooth,

Re: SPAM, it's better a few false rejections than burial under an avalanche of unwanted messages.

Many thanks for the information. I'll do some hunting around: too much hardware choice! At least the choice of software's easy.

I appreciate that PanoWeaver v4 won't be out until March which is fine with me as the 20D / 8mm are unlikely to be purchased before the end of February.

That gives me plenty of time to sort out all the other bits I need to make it all work including the leveller which I will get.

Cheers,
Mark

Message posted by 360texas on January-15-2005 at 9:40am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Over the last 4 or 5 years we have been using a standard rig: Nikon 990 with the fisheye lens, Kaidan Kiwi990 pan head and the Kaidan quick leveller.  Only issue we had was due to the fisheye lens weight as it caused the camera to tilt down during rotation.

We found that our new 20d and Sigma 8 works on our old Kaidan Kiwi990 pan head and quick leveller. Seems the 20d and Nikon 990 nearly have the same dimensions.  We still have the tilt down issue. I can live with that as it saves us several hundreds of dollar$ in investing in a new pan head.

We take 6 photo's and get nearly a full angle of view with out having to take a zenith/sky shot.  What I found interesting is that when looking at the finished image we get a complete circle image of the tripod head which is a good thing.

And yes, we too are waiting for PW4 to be released. 

In the meantime we use an alternate software package. We shot 6 horizontally, 2336 x 3504 RAW converted to BMP.  Also did a little glass ball cap.  To see this  finished panorama taken with the Kaidan Kiwi990 head/leveler and Canon 20d, click below either 'dialup view' or 'broadband full screen view' when looking at our home page

http://360texas.com/

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by BigGreenFurryTh on January-17-2005 at 1:40pm
BigGreenFurryTh
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
January-07-2005
49 Posts
Many thanks for the advice. I've made do for long enough so I'll definitely invest in a 'non-wilting' head.

I too am currently using "an alternative package" for stitching but I'm hoping that Panoweaver v4 will stitch total 360 spherical panoramas without a hole in the ceiling.

Cheers,
Mark

Message posted by smooth on January-18-2005 at 2:42am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Mark,

You might like to see the results offered by my panohead set up at

http://www.smooth360.com/fullscreen_gallery.html

These are all done with Canon 10D and Sigma 8 mm using the Kaidan Twin Axis Panohead with Manfrotto #222 Quick Tilt Ball Levelling Grip. Some of these are now more then a year old. My process to end result has changed over that time. I now await Panoweaver 4.0 so I don't have to deal with the "other" programs.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by klafe on October-06-2006 at 8:37am
View klafe's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by klafe Search   Quote klafe Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
klafe
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-05-2006
51 Posts

I found this post when trying to figure out what additional equipment was suggested for the Canon 20D, Sigma F/3.5, Agnos Mrotator TCPShort & Manfrotto 3001D.  The posts are relatively old and I just wanted to see if anyone had suggestions for the head, etc. based on using this set up for awhile.  Thanks.

Message posted by 360texas on October-06-2006 at 9:12am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

You can find more information about the 20d, Sigma and a TCPShort in downloadable .pdf format.  These reports were completed Fall 2006.

http://www.360texas.com/services/software/agnos/index.htm

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register