Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Help with Mrotator A Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by amaxis on February-27-2005 at 6:00pm
View amaxis's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by amaxis Search   Visit amaxis's Homepage www   Quote amaxis Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
amaxis
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
February-13-2005
17 Posts

Alrighty... got the Mrotor A (FC-E8 and CP 990 and I'm taking worse shots than with the busted Ip*x rotator I have... 2 images not lining up too good! So far off I can't manual stitch to get it right. The level on top of the rotator is good one direction, but off a bit the other. Having to rotate the images (to stitch) seems to be a drag as well, and not helping things. How do I make sure the camera is oriented exactly right... other tips? arrgghh! Thanks.

Amaxis

Message posted by jeantet on February-27-2005 at 7:03pm
View jeantet's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by jeantet Search   Visit jeantet's Homepage www   Quote jeantet Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
jeantet
Standard Member
Standard Member
France
March-29-2003
59 Posts

Trial and error. The problem occurs because while the camera may be perfectly level, the CCD inside may well not be.  This was a frequent issue in early digital cameras.

See how many degrees off horizontal your photos are, and rotate the lens inside the Agnos rotator to compensate. Once you find the exact angle, tighten the screw so it doesn't budge!

-------------
Robert Jeantet
www.sav.org
www.alpage.net
www.spherivue.com
www.webalpa.net/spheres
etc...

Message posted by amaxis on February-27-2005 at 8:49pm
View amaxis's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by amaxis Search   Visit amaxis's Homepage www   Quote amaxis Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
amaxis
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
February-13-2005
17 Posts

I'm pretty sure the CCD is fine as it worked just great with my old (now bent up) rotator. Since I'm not going to keep the camera atached to the tripod, I'm assuming I would somehow wnat to 1) to get the camera straight... then 2) how to place it in the same spot the next time.

Was there ever any documentation/instructions for the Mrotator A?

Message posted by smooth on February-27-2005 at 9:48pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

You need to place the FC-E8 into the MrotatorA then attach the camera before tightening. Now position the camera to horizontal or vertical level (your choice) but make sure it is perfectly level. Now tighten MrotatorA until lens cannot be turned within the MrotatorA **DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN**

Once you have achieved perfect level and fitment you should leave the FC-E8 as a permanent fixture to the MrotatorA and only remove the camera from the lens (carefully) each time you replace the camera to the lens - MrotatorA it will be in perfect position.

As for the bubble level. You only need have it perfect for shot 1. Shot two or three do NOT get re-levelled.

For more help in setting up your system I will need to see your unstitched images Shots 1 + 2 so I can ascertain where you might be a little out. Simply unload them or email them to me.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by amaxis on February-28-2005 at 12:18am
amaxis
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
February-13-2005
17 Posts

Hey Smooth,

Well I eyeballed getting the camera in a horizontal position, like I'm used to, and got vastly better results already. With the camera in that position, it's hard to tell where the "Over Tighten" limit is... I don't want it to slip - and I don't want to bust yet another rotator! Do you know what size that wrench is? I want to be sure to have a spare, even if I don't remove the lense.

I should be fine... do you do all your panos with 3 shots? Do you find it that much smoother (sorry!)?

Message posted by smooth on February-28-2005 at 8:36am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Yes, 3 Shot is much "Smoother" for sure and fully recommended.

I also set my lens level by eyeballing it. To know how much is tight enough I recommend turning the lens very slowly then tightening slowly until you can no longer turn the lens by hand (even with a bit of oomph!) Then loosen just enough to release the grip (taking note of how far you turned the Allen screw) attach the camera and "eyeball" level again and tighten.

The Allen key size I'm not 100% sure but looks to be around 3mm (Metric)

Regards, Smooth 

Message posted by marktold on February-28-2005 at 10:39am
View marktold's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by marktold Search   Visit marktold's Homepage www   Quote marktold Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
marktold
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-09-2003
348 Posts

I alos do 3 panos every time.

Regards Markus

-------------
Nikon D70s, Sigma 8 mm, 4 to 12 shots, Agnos MrotatorTShort, PTGui, PS CS3, and lots of other software :-)

Message posted by amaxis on March-03-2005 at 2:11am
amaxis
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
February-13-2005
17 Posts

Thanks for the info guys... and Smooth, I see all at your site. I did have some panoramas of my own posted that a friend could not see... not sure why, no one else had a problem...

And for the 3 shot images... I take it that I won't have to worry about where the seam lies, as with the 2 shot?

Message posted by smooth on March-03-2005 at 5:28am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

To be honest I really never worry to much about where the seam lies. But yes! You would be less concerned using the 3 shot method.

If you have the correct nodal point (should be correct is your fisheye is mounted correctly in the MrotatorA) and you have set up 100% level (position one) the only thing that can effect seams is lighting as the stitch should be perfect.

Be sure to use AE Lock feature and reset it after each set of panorama images.

Pay attention to lighting at the seams more so then objects.

Regards, Smooth 

Message posted by phoenixrising on March-03-2005 at 9:34am
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts
Well seam issues are seam issues... however, with a 3 shot u have just got so much more image to play with and will also have a sharper pano. This is due to the inherant fact that fisheye lenses cause the images to soften at at the edges. You can further improve ur with 3 shots if u instead of useing fe1, u zoom in until the top and bottom of the image touch the edge of the view screen. You'll now have an image cropped at the sides approx 140° across and still have ur 183° vertical. This will suffice for stiching, enable u to use more of ur cameras chip and therefore gain in pixels and image quality. You'll also be able to stich in 2000x4000 size if needed.

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register