Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: why forced compression? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by PhotoBill on March-05-2005 at 10:46am
View PhotoBill's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by PhotoBill Search   Visit PhotoBill's Homepage www   Quote PhotoBill Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
PhotoBill
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
January-29-2005
19 Posts
After bringing in 2 hemi TIF's at 23.5 megs each and stitching the pano, when I go to save as panoramic image at JPEG quality 100% the stitch file goes from 3.73 megs to 569KB. Other software packages do the same but Panoweaver seems to reduce this more.
I would like to be able to save these panos at a much higher resoltion so as to edit in PS and to publish higher quality panos.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Bill

-------------
CircularWorlds.com
"turning your head with panoramic photography"

Message posted by RotoPix on March-05-2005 at 10:55am
View RotoPix's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RotoPix Search   Visit RotoPix's Homepage www   Quote RotoPix Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RotoPix
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-11-2004
79 Posts
I typically save the panos as BMP files, then open them in PhotoShop for enhancement, then "Save For Web" in PS as JPEGs at whatever compression ratio I need.

Message posted by PhotoBill on March-05-2005 at 11:32am
View PhotoBill's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by PhotoBill Search   Visit PhotoBill's Homepage www   Quote PhotoBill Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
PhotoBill
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
January-29-2005
19 Posts
Thx for the quick reply RotoPix -
Tried that - don't really see an image improvement by converting to BMP.
Trying to achive the same image quailty as the orginal panos.
I'll play with it some more.......

thx

-------------
CircularWorlds.com

Message posted by spinem on March-05-2005 at 12:52pm
View spinem's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by spinem Search   Quote spinem Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
spinem
Gold Member
Gold Member

February-02-2005
180 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by PhotoBill on March-05-2005
Thx for the quick reply RotoPix -
Tried that - don't really see an image improvement by converting to BMP.
Trying to achive the same image quailty as the orginal panos.
I'll play with it some more.......

thx

hey...
I was looking at you're site. You mentioned there that u can publish VR in ipix format....
Do you have ipix Interactive Studio? or is it possible to do it in some other way?

Message posted by PhotoBill on March-05-2005 at 2:23pm
PhotoBill
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
January-29-2005
19 Posts
I have the Pix Interactive Studio - garbage really - too generic, not enough manual control and I certainly wouldn't recommend to anyone (pros or amatuers) ......and I don't think you can publish .ipx with another peace of software. I use it for real estate agencies that don't know any better and are used to working with it.
Sorry iPix for the slam - just my opinion.

-------------
CircularWorlds.com

Message posted by phoenixrising on March-07-2005 at 3:22am
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts
Hiya... what cam are u using to bring in hemi tifs?? My workflow has alwys been to blend my fine res jpg hemis first (for over and under exposed areas) save these as BMP's and stich. Save the image as BMP and then do PS work. Last step will be to size image to final required display size, unsharpen image and then save as jpg and publish. This is due to the fact that jpy is compressed image which will recompress each time u open and save it = pixel displacement and loss of image sharpness.

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by PhotoBill on March-07-2005 at 9:10am
PhotoBill
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
January-29-2005
19 Posts
using the coolpix 8800 with fc-e9 fisheye lens. Tried your method and still lossing something if not my head.

-------------
CircularWorlds.com

Message posted by phoenixrising on March-07-2005 at 9:29am
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts

Hhmm...

matter of interest, when stiching... are you selecting stiched output size???

You'll see that you can select the image size on the right hand side. Easypano will allow files up to 2500x5000 pixels.

When I take 3 shot images (jpg fine) for a tour my initial jpg's will be approx 1MB in size. When the hemis are blended and saved as bmp they'll be 9MB each (image size 1535x2048px) I'll then stich to 1500x3000 which in effect makes the images smaller then I could (here the max size being 2000x4000) to around 12mb. If I were to stich to 2000x4000 I'd have around 23mb in file size.

I have a feeling ur output file size is a tad small... hhmmm?? 

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by smooth on March-07-2005 at 1:07pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

The job of Panoweaver is to do the stitch.

Once done you save the stitched images in a non lossy format. (I do not use Panoweaver to compress the image) This is left to Photoshop.

If you must use Panoweaver to give you an output file simply replace the "panorama image" with the correctly compressed and edited file you have saved from Photoshop.

HUGE files don't necessarily produce a clearer image. 4000 x 2000 is enough for fullscreen viewing.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by PhotoBill on March-07-2005 at 7:27pm
PhotoBill
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
January-29-2005
19 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by smooth on March-07-2005

The job of Panoweaver is to do the stitch.

Once done you save the stitched images in a non lossy format. (I do not use Panoweaver to compress the image) This is left to Photoshop.

If you must use Panoweaver to give you an output file simply replace the "panorama image" with the correctly compressed and edited file you have saved from Photoshop.

HUGE files don't necessarily produce a clearer image. 4000 x 2000 is enough for fullscreen viewing.

Regards, Smooth

got it worked work - thx smooth

-------------
CircularWorlds.com

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register