Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Photography Equipments

Subject Topic: Fisheye lens or attachment? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by DexterWalker on September-20-2007 at 8:19pm
View DexterWalker's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by DexterWalker Search   Quote DexterWalker Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
DexterWalker
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-05-2007
23 Posts
Cheers guys! Will write this down, thanks.

Message posted by DexterWalker on September-23-2007 at 7:03am
View DexterWalker's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by DexterWalker Search   Quote DexterWalker Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
DexterWalker
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-05-2007
23 Posts
Okay, first of all sorry to bombard you all with questions. I am almost ready to ahead and start buying my kit but am not too sure about the lens situation.

So with a Nikkor 10.5 i would have to take 6 pictures?

And with a Sigma 8mm i would have to take 4?

Is this still the case if i am using a Nikon D200 with 10.2 megapixels? I would have thought that as there are more pixels this would make the 10.5 Nikkor a bit more like the Sigma 8mm?

I ask because i have been comparing the prices between the Nikkor and the Sigma lens and there isn't much of a price difference so was thinking about going with the Nikkor. But if i had to take 6 shots instead of 4 to make a Pano then this would be a disadvantage surely if say for example there were people in the Pano...

Yours confused,

Dexter

Message posted by smooth on September-23-2007 at 8:47am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Megapixels are not the relevant issue it the sensor size.

Nikkor DSLR cameras have a smaller than "film" standard sensor either CCD or CMOS and with Nikon the multiplying factor is 1.5x. Canon on the other hand is 1.6x EXCEPT for the Canon DSLR's with a Full Frame CMOS Sensor 36mm x 24mm which is the same as the SLR film focal plane. These cameras are high end and the model's are the 5D, 1Ds MK I, II and III.

The upshot is, if you are going to use a Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye Lens you are going to need to shoot 6+TB (8 Shots) to cover the 360x180. Where as with the Sigma 8mm Fisheye you can get away with as little as 4 shots in portrait mode using an Agnos MrotatorTCPS , MrotatorUM or UT or 3 shots in Oblique mode using a Agnos *MrotatorC Panohead (*Not compatible with Panoweaver).

My sample shot using the MrotatorC (3 Shot) and Canon 10D 6.3 MP, Sigma 8mm Fisheye can be viewed here

My sample shot using the MrotatorTCPS (3 Shot) and Canon 5D 12.7 MP (Full Frame), Sigma 8mm Fisheye can be viewed here

Just because you "can" shoot a full panorama with the Sigma 8mm Fisheye with as little as 3 or 4 shots doesn't mean you are restricted to this. You may like to shoot with 6+TB also. Understanding the sharpest part of a fisheye lens is the centre area. Though!, if you where to be bothered doing this then you would be better off with the Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye for it's superior optics.

Don't discount the Tokina 10-17mm Zoom Fisheye as it also is a very good lens and has many more uses outside of panorama shooting.

It really is a well beaten path. most combinations work really well and it comes down to preference on camera brand, cost and what you require. It's hard to beat the convenience of the Sigma 8mm. It is also nice to shoot higher quality with the Nikkor 10.5mm.

This is why I have them all, and my bank account looks so pitiful!

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by DexterWalker on October-01-2007 at 5:28pm
DexterWalker
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-05-2007
23 Posts
Quote: This is why I have them all, and my bank account looks so pitiful![/QUOTE]

You should charge more! Honestly, the quality of service you offer is excellent.

I'm really impressed with both those links you sent me. I really want to make full screen (or nearly full screen) panos like that. I didn't think you could do those ones with Panoweaver and Tourweaver?! Or did you use other software?!

Good stuff mate.

Message posted by smooth on October-03-2007 at 3:38am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Sure you can use Panoweaver to produce the fullscreen versions. The quality will come from camera and lens (along with knowledge) but there are many here to help with that part.

Regards, Smooth

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register