Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Photography Equipments
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Which pano head should i buy? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by murphian446 on September-19-2007 at 11:21pm
View murphian446's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by murphian446 Search   Quote murphian446 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
murphian446
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-11-2007
14 Posts
Hey everyone

I have been going back and forth on this all day. I will definitely be using a sigma 8mm 3.5 and canon 40d, now on to choosing the right pano head. I am leaning towards the MRotator TCP short but I am a little fuzzy on the advantage of having the ring and how much time it saves. Also is there a better head to use for the sigma 8mm? It is very important that i take spherical panoramas.

I don't mind taking some time to set the tripod head up but i would like to be able to quickly set up the equipment and get the shots i need with little tweeking. Any advice is greatly appreciated and I want to get everyones opinion.

Thanks

Message posted by murphian446 on September-19-2007 at 11:23pm
View murphian446's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by murphian446 Search   Quote murphian446 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
murphian446
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-11-2007
14 Posts
One more thing-   What tripods can these heads be used with

thanks!!!

Message posted by smooth on September-20-2007 at 12:11am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

I think you are definitely on the right track with the Agnos MrotatorTCPS for using with the Canon 40D and Sigma 8mm Fisheye. The RingT is an option if you wish to shoot for batch stitching.

The advantage with the RingT is that it holds the lens and thus doesn't allow slight movement that can happen when the support is the camera (one screw). That said the disadvantage is that with the RingT you lose auto-focus. Still the Sigma 8mm is pretty in focus on everything when set to infinity anyway.

If you had been using a lighter plastic body camera like the Canon 400D/Rebel XTi or Nikon D40 I would have suggested the new Agnos MrotatorUM or MrotatorUT travel panohead. But because you are using the much heavier metal case 40D the MrotatorTCPS is the way to go.

Tripods worth considering are the Manfrotto range and Velbon Sherpa range. Another of quality is Gitzo. What you are looking for here is something stable with nice actions and a quality build. The Manfrotto 190XPROB is commonly used see more. I think the Velbon Sherpa 600R and 750R series are a better option though.

Consider also a quick leveling head. Like the Manfrotto #222 or Manfrotto #322RC2 etc.

Good luck with your shopping.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by murphian446 on September-20-2007 at 9:18am
murphian446
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-11-2007
14 Posts
OK Sounds good, i will definitely go with a sherpa tripod they look great. I am still just a little bit confused on the Ring. My understanding is that if you get the ring you can automatically set it right to the NPP and never have to set it again. So i guess my question is how hard is it to find the NPP without the ring and once you've found it how hard is it to replicate it each time you set up for a panorama. My main goal with this setup is to take virtual tours in my town, but i would also like to use my fisheye for other photography so what is the best thing for me to do?

Message posted by smooth on September-20-2007 at 10:07am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

The trick is to use the Manfrotto 323 Quick Release. (This is supplied with the MrotatorTCPS) and then you can simply release the camera and lens in one complete package. The Manfrotto 323 will keep the NPP correct. (You have to find it in the initial set-up)

Using the RingT the lens has to stay with the RingT on the panohead. (Assuming you are attaching the RingT to the MrotatorT) the RingT clamps to the lens in the position of the NPP (You have to find it in the initial set-up) and once tight you leave it there. You can detatch the camera and cap the lens at will. But the lens stays in place within the RingT

Another alternative is to use a RingT with RotatorMbase. Though you would not be able to shoot zenith and nadir shots.

Personally I feel you are best off with the MrotatorTCPS and add a RingT at a later date if you feel you need it.

Regards, Smooth

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register