Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Photography Equipments
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Sigma 8mm - worrying out loud! Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by sparrowhawk360 on November-13-2007 at 12:21pm
View sparrowhawk360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by sparrowhawk360 Search   Quote sparrowhawk360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
sparrowhawk360
Standard Member
Standard Member

July-20-2005
26 Posts
So I got the new Sigma 8mm lens for my Nikon 200D.
I'm just worried though because I won't get a chance to play with this combo until Sunday night and I have an important shoot on Monday.

I'm using a Kaidan QuickPan IV Rotator with an added Twin Twin-Axis Adapter - http://www.kaidan.com/images/Std.Brkt.Twin_Axis

Has anyone any tips for finding the Sigma nodal point. I'm gathering as much reading material as possible until Sunday.

Thanks..I know it's a repeated question!

Message posted by smooth on November-13-2007 at 1:39pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Get the "Gold Ring" over the X & Y Coordinates of the Tripod centreline. To help, use the centre focus point through the view finder with the camera tilted 90 degrees looking down onto the tripod centreline.

You are trying to set the lens at the No Parallax Point (NPP) not the Nodal Point. The Sigma 8mm is very close on the gold ring although some tiny adjustment will be needed for perfection. The Gold Ring is close enough to get you going with minimal errors.

Another process is to use a "Plumb Bob" weighted with fishing line around the thin groove at the front of the kens.

Be 100% sure you slide the "complete" lens cap of the front of the lens (it is made of two pieces)

Set the aperture at F/8.0 and adjust the shutter speed to match the internal light meter -2EV|---|---|+2EV  the centre is 0EV and for this the camera should be set in full (M) manual mode. Make sure the ISO is at it's lowest numeral setting (especially on the Nikon) ISO 100 would be correct for a Canon DSLR.

Shoot RAW (.nef) so at least you can rescue if needed. If your camera can do .nef & .jpg at the same time all the better.

Good luck, I have offered my best advice.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by sparrowhawk360 on November-13-2007 at 4:07pm
View sparrowhawk360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by sparrowhawk360 Search   Quote sparrowhawk360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
sparrowhawk360
Standard Member
Standard Member

July-20-2005
26 Posts
Thanks smooth - your help is much appreciated.

Message posted by eagle on November-13-2007 at 8:18pm
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts
Yep! That's the advice that smooth and texas360 gave me.

Thank goodness for theirs and others' help and patience. :)

r,
eagle

Message posted by sparrowhawk360 on November-20-2007 at 5:45am
sparrowhawk360
Standard Member
Standard Member

July-20-2005
26 Posts
Guy - the photo shoot went really well and we spent a few hours the night before and got the Nodal Point sorted. Thanks again.

Message posted by 360texas on November-20-2007 at 3:19pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts
Ahhh but only after stitching will you learn how well you did.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by smooth on November-20-2007 at 10:46pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Great to here you got it set up well enough to do the shoot. Don't be scared to show some results if may help you get an even better result.

Regards, Smooth

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register