Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Photography Equipments
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Panoramic Pictures Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Cothey2 on February-02-2008 at 11:46am
View Cothey2's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Cothey2 Search   Quote Cothey2 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Cothey2
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
February-02-2008
2 Posts
Hi Folks,
For the last 12 years or so I have been using a Minolta camera which had a choice of three formats one of which was Panoramic   
the pic s were, for me , realy excellent, unfortunately it died, so I am now, without. Having decided to prgress to digital I am contemplating a Canon EOS 400, however this will not as I understand it, give me a Panoramic format, but my local man suggested that there is a package or kit of some kind on the market, that will allow or support or ?? panoramic shots, I have surfed generaly but have not been able to find any such equipment. Any guidence or suggestions would be appreciated.
Regards

-------------
Peter C

Message posted by smooth on February-02-2008 at 12:51pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

G'day Peter,

I assume the Minolta had an image overlay system in the LCD screen much like the older Nikon Coolpix cameras? Meaning you would shoot a picture and use a 1/3rd shot left on the screen to line up the next shot via overlay.

Anyway, the bottom line is any camera with any lens can be used to make panoramic images. It is all about shooting images that have a reasonable amount of overlap (30% is a good round figure) The best way to do this regardless of camera and lens is with a specially designed Panohead that sits on your tripod and allows a correctly positioned camera/lens to rotate around the NPP (No Parallax Point). It doesn't matter if you want to shoot part cylindrical, full cylindrical, flat printable images or make immersive 360x180 degree spherical panorama images for virtual tours etc.

So what too buy? How much do you want to spend? What do you want to achieve?

Easypano software is pretty much based around spherical panoramas made using fisheye lenses.

Commonly used sets up include the Nikon Coolpix range fitted with either the FC-E8 or FC-E9 Fisheye lens or for more professional results people now all aim for DSLR with a Fisheye lens like the Sigma 8mm, Sigma 15mm, Peleng 8mm, Tokina 10-17mm Zoom, Canon 15mm or Nikon 10.5mm fisheye's.

Tell us more or ask the questions and we will guide you as best we can.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by Cothey2 on February-02-2008 at 8:15pm
View Cothey2's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Cothey2 Search   Quote Cothey2 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Cothey2
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
February-02-2008
2 Posts
Good morning Smooth, thanks very much for your advice, it was food for thought. I now understand why I couldn't find what I was looking for. My Minolta was an APS system that probably means something to you, but to me it was a camera, der!!
Having read your advice I though I might try and find out more about APS and basicly it appears to have become redundent, SO I looked a little further and found the exact model I had, for sale on ebay for 39 a bargain. I will have to advance to Digital sooner or later but now I can make it later, thanks again.

-------------
Peter C

Message posted by stealth on February-12-2008 at 3:03am
View stealth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by stealth Search   Quote stealth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
stealth
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
February-05-2008
16 Posts

Moving forward. Given I have a Canon Rebel and plan on getting the fisheye, are there applications that call for another conventional wide lense?

What would it be?

-------------
Robin

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register