Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Photography Equipments
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: nikkor 6mm Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Wide-Eyes on January-18-2007 at 11:34pm
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi

Does anybody know where to get the antique nikkor 6mm lense?? I was told by somebody that the price is about usd 2600. is that right?

Best regards

Morten

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen
- a newbie trying to improve

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on January-20-2007 at 4:17am
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi

Can it be true that nobody can help me with this one?? Not even with an estimated price??

BEst regards

Morten

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by 360texas on January-20-2007 at 3:12pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts
I read somewhere that you might find an 8 mm $3,000 antique lens on Ebay.  Not really looked for a 6 mm Nikkor.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by zxcvbnm on January-20-2007 at 4:35pm
View zxcvbnm's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by zxcvbnm Search   Quote zxcvbnm Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
zxcvbnm
Gold Member
Gold Member

September-16-2005
156 Posts
you could try people like keh.com but its an unusual lens really produced partly for industrial use, inspecting small spaces and such. The earlier versions will be very hard to use on a modern camera, you will need a mirror lock up at least. The later f2.8 versions will be even rarer.

Probably you just have to watch ebay, use the alert service and hope one comes up eventually. You see the 7.5mm ones go past every now and again and the 8mm ones quite often. The older versions often go for well under a thousand dollars as they don't work easily on modern cameras and have old coatings. You should probably see a message in that.

Do you really really want one? Is the extra few degrees worth that much? Stick the latest sigma of peleng 8mm one a full frame canon and you are pretty close, not quite two shots but nearly. Or if you really need two shots and money is no object there is always the coastal optics for 4500 dollars 185 degrees on a standard nikon sensor. Some people have actually said some nice things about it lately.

The few times I've heard the 6mm lens mentioned its generally in relief that they no longer use it, old connections and 5kg. But if you really need it you may need to find out about some japenese dealers who probably have more of that sort of stuff or as I said watch ebay.

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on January-21-2007 at 9:13am
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi

Got damn I am embarrased. IT is not the 6mm I am interested in. It is the Nikkor 8mm 2.8 fisheye I wanted to get hold off.

I read an old thread about it in this forum and it sounds like it is one of the best lenses that is made for our purpose.

Your can read the thread here http://www.easypano.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=1162&ReturnPage=Search&PagePosition=0&ThreadPage=2

BEst regards

Morten Andersen

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by zxcvbnm on January-21-2007 at 12:52pm
View zxcvbnm's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by zxcvbnm Search   Quote zxcvbnm Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
zxcvbnm
Gold Member
Gold Member

September-16-2005
156 Posts
Ah well that makes more sense. I stand by what was said in the other thread you linked to regarding possible alternatives and practicalities of it. But if you want one I'd think your in the right price range.

Make sure you get one with a serial number of greater than 24300 or it won't be multicoated or have modern connections leaving it little better that the latest sigma or peleng. In other works avoid the ebay ones from Nuernberg who have been trying to flog their early models for at least a year now.

Mainly you just need patience. They come up on ebay every few months, good ones anyway. Or sometimes someone in a pano forum says they have one for sale. I can see one that finished a week ago that went for 2000 us dollars plus your import tax http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300068492103

I'm sure if you are patient another good one will turn up in the next month or two.

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on January-23-2007 at 11:02pm
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi

So that means that the lense found here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-8-8mm-Fish-eye-Nikkor-finder_W0QQitemZ280072249903QQihZ018QQcategoryZ107925QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

would be suitable if I buy a canon 5D?? :o)

Best regards

Morten

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by smooth on January-23-2007 at 11:39pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Morten,

I'm not saying don't buy it. But you must consider that you will still need an adapter and you will have to use full manual controls without any camera feedback. They are a great lens no risk. But are they really any better than a Sigma F/3.5 8mm Fisheye with the advantage of being camera matched and half the size/weight?

I think a lot of the "good thoughts" on this lens were written long before the release of a 5D or in fact the Sigma F/3.5 8mm. It may well be still classed as better! But how much better? ......and look at the price difference.

Have you looked at the results of this combination on the stats of the World Wide Panorama? Simon from this forum has this set up Canon 5D and Nikkor 8mm though the stats say this was with a Sigma 8mm - Hmm, I though Simon said he used the Nikkor with this one? Actually the WWP page does say so! Stat man made an error it appears?

You asked in another thread about (3) shots using a 5D and Sigma 8mm.

Here is one 

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on January-24-2007 at 12:28am
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi SMooth

I think you are right. What I am most worried about with the nikkor lense is the weight and the fact that I have to operate it manually.

I think I will opt for the sigma lense, and thank you for the great example :o)

Now I just have to decide what rotator to get. I nkow you will suggest Agnos. But as far as I understand it, it is hard to find the nodal point and I will be using the new 5D for other things then panoramic photography, so it will be a hurdle if I have to find the exact nodal point every time :o(

Thanks for the advice.

best regards

Morten

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by smooth on January-24-2007 at 1:34am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Setting the NPP (not nodal point) is a piece of cake and very easy.

Using a RingT you can leave the Sigma lens set exactly on the NPP position and attach - detach the Camera body with ease without ever messing up the NPP.

But seeing you are saving all that money by not buying the Nikkor 8mm you can waste it on a "batch" panohead.

Regards, Smooth

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register