Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Photography Equipments
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Wanting to purchase JTS rotator or simila Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by DexterWalker on September-06-2007 at 2:21pm
View DexterWalker's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by DexterWalker Search   Quote DexterWalker Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
DexterWalker
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-05-2007
23 Posts
I'm wanting to buy a JTS rotator - does anyone have one for sale?

Or similar.

(email or private message me if you do)

Thanks.

Message posted by smooth on September-09-2007 at 3:51am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

You will find most here use and recommend Agnos or Nodal Ninja panoheads for very good reason. What about the JTS makes you desire one?

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by 360texas on September-09-2007 at 9:48am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts
Do you have a URL link to a JTS rotator so we can see it???

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by DexterWalker on September-09-2007 at 7:58pm
View DexterWalker's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by DexterWalker Search   Quote DexterWalker Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
DexterWalker
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-05-2007
23 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by 360texas on September-09-2007
Do you have a URL link to a JTS rotator so we can see it???

Hi, i think it is this one...

Sorry can't find a bigger image of it.

Message posted by DexterWalker on September-09-2007 at 8:02pm
DexterWalker
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-05-2007
23 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by smooth on September-09-2007

You will find most here use and recommend Agnos or Nodal Ninja panoheads for very good reason. What about the JTS makes you desire one?

Regards, Smooth

Thanks mate, i just thought it must be a pretty good one if advertised for sale alongside the EasyPano software but i could be wrong.

Thanks for the links - really puzzled as to which rotator to get to make 180 and/or 360 panoramics.

I saw this one too...

http://www.kingpano.com/

How does this KingPano head compare with the Nodal Ninja and the Agnos ones?

Message posted by smooth on September-10-2007 at 5:03am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Kingpano is 100% plastic and a budget panohead.

If you are using a DSLR I would recommend you go with the Agnos MrotatorTCPS

If money is tight buy the Nodal Ninja 3.

Remember the panohead will be with you a long time if you buy the right one. Camera's come and go - so the MrotatorTCPS is good long term value.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by zxcvbnm on September-10-2007 at 5:16am
View zxcvbnm's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by zxcvbnm Search   Quote zxcvbnm Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
zxcvbnm
Gold Member
Gold Member

September-16-2005
156 Posts
I've never heard of anyone actually using the jts rotator. Perhaps there is a whole extra world in china with wonderful things we never hear of. Much like Japan often gets gadgets that never make it over to the west. Ah well.

Anyway when buying a panohead the options in order of price are basically;

make your own,

Panosaurus under a hundred dollars basic but works fine but a little wobbly in wind..

Kingpano a bit sturdier than panosaurus with a built in leveler, people do say nice things about it but rather squeezed out between the panosaurus and nodal ninja

Nodal ninja small and metal very popular, more money,

Agnos again a step up in quality and price, bulkier metal broad range of options.

360precision absolute or adjust models very well made expensive.

In this list quality does actually increase with the price pretty much so your really dictated by how much you want to spend and how good a head you want

Then there are the bophoto lens grips which are popular with some people. Plust there the peace river, manfrotto and kaidan heads which you rarely hear of people buying these days. That said the manfrotto 300n rotator base on its own gets good reviews.

Basically almost everyone starts with a home made head or a panosaurus or nodal ninja depending on budget. Then if they become rich making panos they often buy a 360precision which is said to be worth if if you make lots of panos.

Message posted by DexterWalker on September-10-2007 at 9:08am
DexterWalker
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-05-2007
23 Posts
Thanks both of you, that's really helpful. So i think i will go with the Agnos MrotatorTCPshort providing this is suitable for 180 and 360 panoramics.

Is there a cheaper place to buy them than from the Agnos website? or do you know where i could get a second hand one?

From the pictures it looks like these heads only allow the camera to take the picture vertically, right?

Thanks again :-)

Message posted by 360texas on September-10-2007 at 10:03am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

I think the term for the camera orientation is "Portrait"  image long side up.  Yes vertically.   As compared to installing the camera horizontally or in "Landscape" orientation.

Next important is what fisheye lens have you selected?

Few choices:

Full frame: Fisheye (diagonal 180 degrees)  Nikkor 10.5  or  Tokina 10-17 fisheye.  Need to take 6 images on the horizon + 1 UP zenith and 1 DOWN Nadir.

Drum Images:  This is a full circle 180 degree fisheye lens that does not fit on a rectangular sensor so the left and right circle edges are cropped off.   Probably a Sigma 8mm lens using a camera that has a 1.6 or 1.5 crop factor like a Nikon d40  or a Canon 350d or 20d.  Need to take  4 images

Full Circle Image:  This is a full circle 180 degree lens like the Sigma 8mm that will display the full image circle inside the rectangular camera 35mm sensor no crop factor like a Canon 5d.  The Nikon Coolpix with the Nikkor FC-E8 or 9 [out of production and hard to find]  Need to take 3 or 4 images.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by smooth on September-10-2007 at 12:17pm
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by DexterWalker on September-10-2007
Thanks both of you, that's really helpful. So i think i will go with the Agnos MrotatorTCPshort providing this is suitable for 180 and 360 panoramics.

Is there a cheaper place to buy them than from the Agnos website? or do you know where i could get a second hand one?

From the pictures it looks like these heads only allow the camera to take the picture vertically, right?

Thanks again :-)

Most buy direct from the manufacturer www.agnos.com you rarely see these offered secondhand as people hang onto their Panoheads for years.

Buying direct is easy and delivery to just about anywhere in the world seems to happen within 3 to 10 days. When contacting Agnos tell him "Smooth" sent you and you might just pick up a small discount or extra.

Same deal if ordering a Nodal Ninja 3 from Bill at www.nodalninja.com

Using either panohead you will mount the camera in portrait position when using a fisheye lens like the Sigma 8mm or Nikkor 10.5mm etc. this gives you the maximum vertical FOV and reduces the amount of images required.

Regards, Smooth

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register